WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Have any of you clmbed Kilimanjaro?

Kilimanjaro is on my bucket list. In reading about it, it seems that the only real challenge is the altitude. I did the Salkantay Inca Trail last year and handled the 15,200+ altitude ok. Kilimanjaro is about 4,000 feet higher. How difficult is it?
    Shutterbug

On my list too. Can't help you with the altitude questions. But I have read a lot about the hike. Don't know if you have found this site, but I found it to be very informative, especially with the route planning and altitude acclimation issues. If I ever were to book a trip, I would probably contact them first.

http://www.teamkilimanjaro.com/

Hi Shutterbug,

I've climbed Kilimanjaro. Altitude affects everyone differently so it can be impossible to predict ahead of time. I chose the Machame route since it is more scenic and better for acclimatization (climb high and sleep low). The trail is not technically difficult but the altitude adds an extra layer of agony.

I was in moderate shape and I found the trek extremely physically challenging. Out of my three friends, I was the only one that reached the summit. I hiked Everest Base Camp in October and it was a breeze compared to Kilimanjaro.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

I looked into Kilimanjaro a while back but was turned off by the commercial aspects of the tour companies. It would be great if there was some way to pay a reasonable fee and then hike solo or with a few friends rather than with the entourage that seems to accompany these expeditions.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    On my list too. Can't help you with the altitude questions. But I have read a lot about the hike. Don't know if you have found this site, but I found it to be very informative, especially with the route planning and altitude acclimation issues. If I ever were to book a trip, I would probably contact them first.

http://www.teamkilimanjaro.com/
    Yes. I have read their information. If I decide to do it, I will go with REI. REI is more expensive than most, but I have confidence in them. Last year, I hiked the Salkanty Inca Trail with REI as the tour service. Everything was done first class. I am at the stage of life where lowest cost isn't the issue.

Except for the altitude issue, it sounds less difficult in terms of miles and elevation gain than some of the Grand Canyon hikes I do.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Hi Shutterbug,

I've climbed Kilimanjaro. Altitude affects everyone differently so it can be impossible to predict ahead of time. I chose the Machame route since it is more scenic and better for acclimatization (climb high and sleep low). The trail is not technically difficult but the altitude adds an extra layer of agony.

I was in moderate shape and I found the trek extremely physically challenging. Out of my three friends, I was the only one that reached the summit. I hiked Everest Base Camp in October and it was a breeze compared to Kilimanjaro.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Thanks. What time of year did you go? I have read that January is the best. Do you agree.

How old was the oldest person in your group? I am a lot younger than my actual age, but at 71 I would probably be twice as old as most.
    Shutterbug

I summited on New Year's Eve.

Greeting the New Year on the top of a mountain is the best time to go!

The oldest person in my group was 50 years old. I went with a budget company that was running their first tour that had the hike at a huge discount.

I met into other groups that mainly consisted of retirees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    I looked into Kilimanjaro a while back but was turned off by the commercial aspects of the tour companies. It would be great if there was some way to pay a reasonable fee and then hike solo or with a few friends rather than with the entourage that seems to accompany these expeditions.
    By entourage, do you mean a large support staff or a group of other climbers (or both)? Most of the sources I have been reading will organize a private climb (for one person or a group of friends). It will cost more than a group climb, as would any private tour would, but you wouldn't be hiking with strangers. If it is the support staff that turns you off, know that the NP requires you hike with a guide on a pre-set approved route, so you don't have a lot of freedom there. But the operator I linked above advertises a Lite option where you carry more of your own stuff. Gear and food is more like a traditional backpacking trip (no dining tent), and there is a minimal support staff. On their Supelite hikes, you are on your own (carry all your own food and gear, do your own cooking). There is only the required guide, and maybe his porters to accompany you. They advertise this as the closest to a independent climb that is legally allowed.

Among other things, I've done Everest Base Camp,Kilimanjaro and the Salkantay. For whatever reason, the altitude killed me on Kili; it was no problem on EBC. Maybe it was just not my day. Of the three, the Inca Trail is a walk in the park compared to the other two. There are many outfitters on Kili, however do not make the mistake of blowing off the climb. It is more difficult than it appears. If you are serious about the climb, I would go with Alpine Ascents. Check out their website, and they will be on your short list of guide services. Do not underestimate the value of a western guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post

Yes. I have read their information. If I decide to do it, I will go with REI. REI is more expensive than most, but I have confidence in them. Last year, I hiked the Salkanty Inca Trail with REI as the tour service. Everything was done first class. I am at the stage of life where lowest cost isn't the issue.

Except for the altitude issue, it sounds less difficult in terms of miles and elevation gain than some of the Grand Canyon hikes I do.
    Post your pictures when you get back. I'm sure they will be spectacular. Was checking out the REI site. I hope you do the Lemosho route. It looks way better than the Marangu route. From all I have read, time on the mountain is the most important thing to beating the altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    By entourage, do you mean a large support staff or a group of other climbers (or both)? Most of the sources I have been reading will organize a private climb (for one person or a group of friends). It will cost more than a group climb, as would any private tour would, but you wouldn't be hiking with strangers. If it is the support staff that turns you off, know that the NP requires you hike with a guide on a pre-set approved route, so you don't have a lot of freedom there. But the operator I linked above advertises a Lite option where you carry more of your own stuff. Gear and food is more like a traditional backpacking trip (no dining tent), and there is a minimal support staff. On their Supelite hikes, you are on your own (carry all your own food and gear, do your own cooking). There is only the required guide, and maybe his porters to accompany you. They advertise this as the closest to a independent climb that is legally allowed.
    thanks for the details. Yes, it is the support staff more than other hikers that I don't really want. I don't like the idea of hiring a porter or sherpa to haul in my gear.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Hi Shutterbug

I climbed K last February with my father and two brothers. Dad was 70 at the time of the climb. Dad worked out quite a bit six months prior to the hike, and was moderately in shape at the start of the climb. He would have had a difficult time if he had not worked out pretty extensively. My brothers and I (30's & 40's) all took the hike in stride and did not do a lot of conditioning prior to the hike. We all made it to the summit, but it would have been even more enjoyable if we had been in better shape.

We all used Diamox for altitude, and nobody suffered any side effects. The toughest day was when we summited, and camped in the crater that night. I would suggest doing a night hike and not spending the night up top. If I did anything differently, that would be it.

It was a fantastic experience, made even more so by doing it with my family. Have a great trip!

Journal Entries

Hi all,

I know this thread is about a month old, but I just stumbled on it now. I am planning to climb Kili with a friend in Sep via the Lemosho route. I understand the concerns about HAVING to go through a tour company and taking along a large support staff, but it is my understanding that is a requirement of the Tanzania government (i.e, climbing on your own is not an option).

My question is specifically addressed to those that have already made this trip. In regards to rates, I am seeing package prices in the $2400-$3000 range (based on two people, including transportation to/from airport, lodging, guides & support staff, etc.) However, a friend of mine told me about a couple of friends that recently got a deal in the $700-800 range. This is second hand information that hasn't been verified, but it supposedly was only for the tour company and did not include transportation or lodging. I am also not sure what route they took either, but that still sounds too good to be true, so I wanted to ask what price range you paid so I am not off chasing a red herring.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Star View Post
    Hi all,

I know this thread is about a month old, but I just stumbled on it now. I am planning to climb Kili with a friend in Sep via the Lemosho route. I understand the concerns about HAVING to go through a tour company and taking along a large support staff, but it is my understanding that is a requirement of the Tanzania government (i.e, climbing on your own is not an option).

My question is specifically addressed to those that have already made this trip. In regards to rates, I am seeing package prices in the $2400-$3000 range (based on two people, including transportation to/from airport, lodging, guides & support staff, etc.) However, a friend of mine told me about a couple of friends that recently got a deal in the $700-800 range. This is second hand information that hasn't been verified, but it supposedly was only for the tour company and did not include transportation or lodging. I am also not sure what route they took either, but that still sounds too good to be true, so I wanted to ask what price range you paid so I am not off chasing a red herring.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Lone Star, I am still looking at the options, but my research indicates that there is a correlation between how much you pay and the probability of success. The more expensive tour companies, like REI and Tusker have a much higher success rate than the less expensive. At my age and place in life, I am willing to pay more to increase the chances of making it to the summit.
    Shutterbug

I have seen some recommendations for Bush Explorer. Their price for 1 person is $1,785 and reduces to $1,345 for a group of 8 or more.
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Lone Star, I am still looking at the options, but my research indicates that there is a correlation between how much you pay and the probability of success. The more expensive tour companies, like REI and Tusker have a much higher success rate than the less expensive. At my age and place in life, I am willing to pay more to increase the chances of making it to the summit.
    Thanks for the tip on Bush Explorer. I agree that money should not be the driving factor. I have been around long enough to know you usually get what you pay for. I assuming, however, that there must be a great deal of competition between tour companies in Tanzania so I am trying to get a better feel of what the current market range is and then to see if the packages are a true "apples to apples" comparison.

If anyone is reluctant to publicly post their package price or what tour company they used, feel free to PM me directly.
    Happy Trails!

Images

I volunteered for a number of years with an outdoor adventure company in Lima NY (Western NY). Their Name is Pack Paddle & Ski. They run Kili every year, If I recall. Great group of folks - without sounding too braggadocio, Their clients adore them. Small organization with a very big personal touch.
    They have a Kili Trip coming up in Feb2015
    Owner's name's are Rick & Randy French - Twin brothers and they do a lot for the local community as well as cancer organizations. If you reach out to them, they will send you plenty of info.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Never climbed Kilimanjaro but I rode a bicycle down Haleakala.

Images

I've climbed Kili via the Machame route, along with many other big high peaks, and the Kili is definitely a doable peak due to it's technical ease and the great support you get from porters/guides, which by the way are a HUGE part of those poor Tanzanian's meager income and lives, and I don't regret a single penny spent paying them well. "Easy" is very relative, of course, and any mountain that high demands great respect, preparation and training if you want to be fairly certain of success.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I've climbed Kili via the Machame route, along with many other big high peaks, and the Kili is definitely a doable peak due to it's technical ease and the great support you get from porters/guides, which by the way are a HUGE part of those poor Tanzanian's meager income and lives, and I don't regret a single penny spent paying them well. "Easy" is very relative, of course, and any mountain that high demands great respect, preparation and training if you want to be fairly certain of success.
    When did you go and which company did you use? And, optionally, if you don't mind sharing, approx. how much did you pay for the pkg? I am trying to get a feel for the price range. You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly. Thank you!
    Happy Trails!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++