WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default going through SMNP without resuppling at G'berg.

Hello,

In june I will be going from the Fontana Hilton to Damascus. Has anyone gone through GSMNP without resupplying at Gatlinburg?

I have been there many times and would prefer not to have to resupply there. 441 is mostly full of tourists and I'm thinking it may be hard to thumb a ride into town. Plus it is a good cruise from the trail, ie: time wasted, since I'm starting so close, well...........

Tell me some of your experiences, and opinions.

I have deliberatly avoiding SMNP in sections since I wanted to do the whole thing at once. I have been really looking forward to it.

Any opinions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Best
    Floyd

Images

yes, i have. fontana to standing bear
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

How far do you plan on walking each day b/c the standards for the park AT is no resupply to go from end to end.

Dakota Joe just did it. 4 days thru the park.

Go Joe Go.

BTW its an easy hitch to G'burg.

Squeeky did GSMNP in a day. Resupply in Fontana and at Standing Bear.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

On both my thruhikes I walked from Fontana to Hot Springs without resupplying midway. It made a heavy pack going up Shuckstack, but otherwise I was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    How far do you plan on walking each day b/c the standards for the park AT is no resupply to go from end to end.
    The new rules specifically allow thru hikers to resupply in Gatlinburg.

The old rules said thru hikers could not go to Gatlinburg, however, it was never enforced.

As Spirit Walker said, you can go all the way Hot Springs, though now that Standing Bear is there, you might want to stop there instead. I did it with a heavy pack up the Shuckstack and a very empty pack by the time I got to Hot Springs, as I was already into the "burn the muscles" by the time I reached Fontana. With good weather you shouldn't have any problems. This used to be the standard way thru hikers made it.

Journal Entries

You dont need to carry breakfast the day you start
    You dont need to carry dinner, the day you finish.

If you cant carry 4.5 days food, just consider staying home.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-23-2014 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The new rules specifically allow thru hikers to resupply in Gatlinburg.

The old rules said thru hikers could not go to Gatlinburg, however, it was never enforced.
    I'm not here to argue with you max patch but I think that's incorrect. The old GSNMP rule for thru-hikers was that you had to start your hike at least 50 miles out side the park on both sides (north and south.) Maybe you remember the rules before my first hike or after my last, but in '03, '04, & '05 the thru-hiker was defined not by a springer to katahdin hike but by 50 miles on either side of the park. I've never seen a ranger in GSMNP and I've been thru there lots, on thru's and weekend hikes, so I agree that it was never enforced.

Journal Entries

why wouldn't u ressupply in gatlinburg ? town gets ribbed a lot for being tacky , and it is. no doubt. that said, as a thru hiker the town has lots to offer: outfitter, grocery store, hotels , restaurants. thru hikers rarely will see the kind of food options offered in Gatlinburg again on the trail.

that said its easy to go from Fontana to standing bear with food. I will go from Franklin to gatlinburg to Hot Springs. to Erwin in that area of the trail this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

He's starting at Fontana if I read it correctly.

It all depends on how good a shape you are to start. Starting day one with 5-6 days of food might be a bit much right off the couch. OTOH, you'll waste a whole day going to G-burg, plus the expense since you'd likely have to spend the night. Getting in and out in one day would be a real streach. Then there is the shelter reservation thing to consider.

I guess I would try to do it in one go to avoid the various problems. Just go with the lightest food options possible and remember, you appetite probably isn't going to be real big for the first few days, so don't go too crazy with food.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Dakota Joe just did it. 4 days thru the park.

Go Joe Go.

BTW its an easy hitch to G'burg.
    what he says

I have no desire to see Gatlinburg.

My concept was to put a resupply cache in the vicinity of the rest stop at 441. Plan was to emplace it on my drive up to Standing bear and then have Curtis drive me down to Fonatna. Hike 3 days, hit the resupply and then 3 more to Standing Bear. Haven't done it yet and I've only recon'd the area from google imagery but it looks like it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    I'm not here to argue with you max patch but I think that's incorrect. The old GSNMP rule for thru-hikers was that you had to start your hike at least 50 miles out side the park on both sides (north and south.) Maybe you remember the rules before my first hike or after my last, but in '03, '04, & '05 the thru-hiker was defined not by a springer to katahdin hike but by 50 miles on either side of the park. I've never seen a ranger in GSMNP and I've been thru there lots, on thru's and weekend hikes, so I agree that it was never enforced.
    No worries. Everything you said is correct. I was referring to a different rule (not the park definition of a thru).

I still believe the best way to get thru the park from Fontana is on the BMT. You can take the bus into Cherokee,NC if you want/need to. it's only 5$ (or $10)from Smokemont CG and there is a good bus system that's cheap to take you to grocery store. only downside is there is no outfitter there and no place to get canister fuel but if you are starting at Fontana this should be no issue anyway. Pick up the AT at the north end and you are good to go. Couple of reasons I prefer the BMT but one of the primary ones is that you avoid shelters (there's only one - the rest are campsites). Still need the permit though.

Last June I had Curtis shuttle me to Fontana and walked back to Standing Bear. 5 days, no problems on food. It would have been easy to get a ride in either direction with all the people around at Newfound Gap. Good luck and have fun.

Thank you all for your infomation.

Yes, I would resupply at Standing bear. I was just looking at the milage 70+ and thought 7 days. 10 miles a day at the least to start. I was hoping to do more.

As I mentioned I have been throught GSMNP but never hiked it. Saw the elevation profile from fontana and the rest doesn't look too bad. I haven't done it so I don't know how much too bring. I have been around Gatlinburg many times. When my children were younger we used to go to the amusment park there.

I have been hiking through the winter but trail legs are slow to get and quick to lose.

From springer to Fontana last year there were days of 17 miles and then days of 8. Depended on the weather and topo. Starting I did 10 easy... well not so. Packing the right amount of food is still a weakness of mine, what to bring, how much, what is the lightest weight stuff that requires no prep time. Developing everywhere else except for that. still needs work.

My desire was to keep pack weight down, but mainly to avoid the circus.

I appreciate your insight, comments and help. They are greatly appreciated!

Best,
    Floyd

Since Fontana isn't in GSMNP and Neither is Standing Bear you're going to have to call it 80+ miles in 7 days, as well.

Well, I for one refuse to go into GBerg when hiking. Don't get me wrong, I really like the town....that is, when I'm with kids and the family. We used to go there every year for vacation.

But. G'Berg is a human zoo. After spending so many days of quiet on the trail, that place breaks the mystique of the hike.

To get to the grocery store, you have to go all the way through town, usually in heavy stop and go traffic, then out of town for about a mile.

No thanks, I'll gladly hump the extra food to get thru the park.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++