WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Can anyone offer advice on how to find a hiker on the AT? I'm hoping to find my friend Okie Smokie (thru hiker class of 2002, currently section hiking from Springer to Trail Days) in order to hike with him into Damascus.

There are logs at the hostels and shelters, correct? So I guess I can drop in and check those. Any ideas other than that and just asking around?

Looking forward to hitting the trail 5/12 to 5/16. I plan to be out creating some trail magic, including giving rides out of Damascus back to the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    We also got passed by Catch Me If You Can, a young Korean guy. Elusive told us that the young guy was trying to do the whole trail in 100 days.
    I saw Catch Me If You Can when he started on 3/30. You didn't specify where you saw him, but I would suspect somewhere NOVA or beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by cconat2000 View Post
    Can anyone offer advice on how to find a hiker on the AT? I'm hoping to find my friend Okie Smokie (thru hiker class of 2002, currently section hiking from Springer to Trail Days) in order to hike with him into Damascus.
    Okie Smokie could be anywhere South of Damascus. . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos

Images

We were between Thunder Ridge Shelter and Matt's Creek Shelter, just south of the James River, so he must have slowed down some since you saw him!

Journal Entries
    Images

On 5/3/14, during some trail work in the Roan Highlands:

Achilles (3/31) - helped with trail work
    The Conductor (3/29) - helped with trail work
    Blood Cookie (3/29) - helped with trail work
    J PEG (3/31) - helped with trail work

Duff (4/3)
    Potatoes (4/3)
    Shellback
    Trigger
    Tinker (4/5)
    Safety First (4/5)
    Wander Bus (4/5)
    Vision Quest and dog (4/6)

The Mountain Mutts:
    Butterfly
    Southpaw
    Mountain Ninja
    Red Handed Ninja

It was a bit chilly this day, especially with the wind, in the highlands. We did get alot of work done though.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos

Mountain Squid, YOUR A MOUNTAIN BUM!!!

You think the trail is yours. Getting freebies from angels, telling little kids the rocks in a parking lot are yours. Bah Humbug to you!!!

Images

Ran into Dakota Joe and German Phil at the South Wilcox shelter last night, Dakota in good spirits but not sure about that German dude.

Met the first thru hiker I've seen at the Minerva Hinchey shelter up here in VT today, said he started 2/23. Didn't catch the name but he was a 57 year old Alaska native, had great stories of climbing Denali and hunting wolves. He also had a funny story of a woman who may still be out there named five star because she cooks five star meals on the trail. Her pack weighed 67 pounds and she was last seen trucking along somewhere.

That's awesome we already have thrus coming thru VT right now. I know Dakota Joe is in Mass. and not too far off from being in VT himself, looks like he might get that flip flop done after all.

Journal Entries

We didn't think we'd see thru-hikers in NJ this early, but we were wrong. We were out for a week, saw probably 25 NOBO thrus. Did not get very many names, but here's a few:
    Gizmo, Ibex, Moxie, Cool Breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    Ran into Dakota Joe and German Phil at the South Wilcox shelter last night, Dakota in good spirits but not sure about that German dude.

The German dude is alright and moving. Don't worry.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

It appears to me that once again the numbers will rise of successful thru-hikers. Already in May the numbers per day range from 6 to a dozen a day with a high one day last week of 22 at the Doyle Hotel. And now on the first day of June I am told there are about a dozen staying at the Doyle Hotel with I know of 8 that resupplied and hiked on! To all of the class of 2014 don't forget to stop and smell the roses, as they say! "I think God would be pissed if you walked by a field of purple flowers and didn't notice!" And remember proper trail etiquette - Leave every spot on the trail cleaner than you found it, every town happier than you found it, and don't be shy when you encounter someone that needs to be taught about Leave No Trace.

April 4 start, at the Delaware Water Gap today. On track for a nicely paced sub-110 finish by mid July.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Images

Hosted Indiana last night. He left Springer on 3/30 and hopes to summit Katahdin 6/22. Then he heads west to SOBO the PCT. He has that long, lean look of a hiker who can fly down the trail.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Yesterday my 9 year old son and I were doing a day hike (he was completing his section hike of the 72 miles of the AT in NJ) and came across a real nice NOBO thru named Kamikaze. He carried a frisbee with him and we were going a similar pace so we passed each other a couple of times. He was going from the DWG toward Brink Shelter in NJ. We also passed 3 other NOBO thru hikers but I didn't catch their names. Good luck to all the thru hikers I hope to join your ranks some day!

Images

We were doing a section hike and ran into about 12 NOBO thru's at the Little Rock Pond shelter in Danby, VT last night. One was packing a guitar and after 3 days of rain they all looked a bit soggy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++