WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: To walk alone

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    I sometime worry what my fellow hikers will say during my future thru hike. Oh, he is anti social. He is hard to approach. He is strange. I read so much about the fellowship along the trail which raised my question.
    Are you anti-social, hard to approach and strange? You just described most of my family. Try a small smile when we meet and I'll ignore the rest.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    Now I want whiskey.
    My whole family done give up on me and it makes me feel oh so bad. The only one who will hike with me, is my dear Old Grand-Dad
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Introversion isn't something that needs cured.
    true! introverts can't play people for positive feedback quickly. but an introvert is well regarded by those that know them which is more important than casual acquaintances so you might make new friends but you'll likely still be the same person. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    My whole family done give up on me and it makes me feel oh so bad. The only one who will hike with me, is my dear Old Grand-Dad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1sDTTRjncY

Images

My own tendency toward introversion(?) lends itself to backpacking and my cycling passion. Problem is it also tends to foster a sense of, "What's down the road/trail?" Subsequently I have found myself well off any intended planned route, which may have been given to a loved one for security -- think flight plans as I tend to do these things solo.

O.P.: In randonneuring there is a phrase that translates to, "Ride your own ride". I think it would also apply to the AT. Let others find you. I'm certain there are people out on that ribbon of trail that will become part of your trail family.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    Does thru hiking the AT trail cure introversion?
    Hell no! I'd say the trail increased my introversion. All the time alone in nature (love it!). The time spent avoiding meeting up with hikers I didn't want to meet up with. The extroverts go to Trail days and the other trail festivals. Us introverts keep hiking and enjoy the peace of the woods.. now that the chain-smokin beer-guzzlin- can't-stay-quite-party-every-chance-they-get types are off the trail.. if only for a few days!! Besides.. there's no cure for introversion. You either are or are not!

I am definitely more introverted since my thru. I know this is going to sound cynical but when I returned I realized how many people talk just to hear themselves (I may have been one) and how being quiet and reserved is not a negative but more of a blessing. The time in the woods gave me an idea of what really mattered to me.

I'm an introvert male, that lives with 3 extroverted females. The trail is where I go for quiet.

At shelters, I often look at the crowd and wish that I was part of the group. Then, when I go over and folks start talking to me, I can't wait to get away from them. I guess this is what y'all are talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I'm an introvert male, that lives with 3 extroverted females. The trail is where I go for quiet.
    Ha Ha!! I can see that!

Misery- I like to put a positive spin on my extroversion & just say I have the gift of gab.

Capt. Nat... Yeah, I believe you nailed it! You wouldn't walk away from me.. you'd RUN!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++