WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Polar Vortex is coming back!

Heard on the news tonight that todays thaw will be short lived and the dreaded "POLAR VOTREX" will be making a return visit in a few days. And we all know what that means - cold temps and storms directed to the south. I sure hope those who plan on starting thier thru hike soon are paying close attention to the weather and taking approperate action. It sure looks like early starters will be in for some wild weather this year.

After reaching a high of 45 today here in northern NH, its snowing again with a couple inches of freash and sticky snow coming down. Sure will look pretty in the morning, but man, I'm getting tired of shoveling the driveway (and my roof) every other day!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Yo Slo-Go-in, Good morning from Western Maine I feel your pain. There was three feet of snow on the roof of my garage and house when I shoveled it off yesterday and now it' coming down again. Damn Coyotes are coming up on my porch. Thankfully the deer are still mobile and able to avoid them.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Gezzzz!! It's pouring rain in VA. right now. The rain is washing away the 21 inches of snow we had... it's gone.

I hope the class of 2014 is tough! I heard the weather in GA was calling for strong wind & bad thunderstorms. Ugggg!

Bad. Fairly accurate description. I thought I woke up in a taliban cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Heard on the news tonight that todays thaw will be short lived and the dreaded "POLAR VOTREX" will be making a return visit in a few days. And we all know what that means - cold temps and storms directed to the south. I sure hope those who plan on starting thier thru hike soon are paying close attention to the weather and taking approperate action. It sure looks like early starters will be in for some wild weather this year.

After reaching a high of 45 today here in northern NH, its snowing again with a couple inches of freash and sticky snow coming down. Sure will look pretty in the morning, but man, I'm getting tired of shoveling the driveway (and my roof) every other day!
    After the last storm we had close to 2 and a half feet on the ground, 3 feet in some spots. We still have quite a bit down here but a ton melted the past couple of days.

We all feel your pain. I am in the final stages of chipping ice from two storms ago. I had to do lots of extra shoveling to make paths for water runoff, too. I didn't shovel the roof. I started to drag snow down from the eaves with a garden rake, and that's when I felt some pain in my left arm and neck. So now the shovel and chip sessions are shorter and punctuated by ibuprofen as needed. There's still a pretty good snow cover here in SW Connecticut, and I am not looking forward to more.

65 degrees and lots of sunshine this weekend at Grassy Gap. Saw 7 thru hikers the past two days and warned them not get used to this. We will be back in the low teens Wednesday night but it does not look like a snow event down here. Any one starting here in February better be prepared for the worse.

Images

Polar vortex, bomb genesis, these must be the new fancy words to tell us "this winter is cold with snow"??
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Polar vortex, bomb genesis, these must be the new fancy words to tell us "this winter is cold with snow"??
    Weather Channel hype to get viewership up. Like naming winter storms. I just flipped the channel over to them a minute ago...full of reality TV crap.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Walked up to the top of Unaka Mt. today in shorts and t-shirt. Cool in the shade but felt good in the sun.

++ New Posts ++