WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Wonderland Trail

Anyone else done this? Looking at possible itinerary that worked for you so I can get ready to submit for a permit March 15th. Thinking on taking it easy, like 10-12 mile days Thanks

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I have not hiked this, but we took a day trip to MRNP on Labor Day and it looks amazing. Have thought about doing it, especially since I have a daughter living in Seattle. As for planning, have you seen this web site? It's very cool.

http://www.wonderlandtrailguide.com/...rary-planning/

You set your starting and ending point, direction (clockwise or counter clockwise), and use the slider bar to set desired miles per day, and it gives you a suggested itinerary. You can then adjust by dragging the tent icons from one site to another. It will list the miles per day and the campsites.

I've also looked into the Northern Loop Hike. You could do this as a 33 mile loop from Sunrise, or the shorter 15 mile loop from Mowich Lake, or combine them to make a 45 mile loop of the whole north side of the mountain.

I did the Wonderland Trail last year in early September. I am debating whether to try for a permit again this year as it is an awesome trail. Don’t underestimate how tough it is though. I thought it was just slightly less difficult than the Long Trail if you are familiar with that. I did it in 7 days and if I do it again I’ll shoot for 8 or 9. The only thing I can say negative about this trail is because it is where it is, odds are great you are going to have to deal with rain. Good news there is water is not a big concern as it is everywhere on the trail. I had a glorious hike for about 5 days, followed by a 2-day trek through biblical storms.

The Spray Park area (DEFINITELY take the alternative route there, as it is the best part of the entire hike) and the east side around Summerland and Indian Bar are gorgeous beyond belief. I stayed at Indian Bar one night which is an amazing place to camp. I’d say about half the hike is in a green tunnel and the other half is vistas all the time. The kind that you find yourself smiling alone on top of a rise. The resupply (mail ahead) worked great. I resupplied at Longmire and Mowich which was overkill – if I did it again I’d pick one of them. I don’t think it matters at all where you start or which direction you go. Most people doing the whole thing seemed to be going clockwise. I went the other way.

Finally, the trailer on this site is really cool:

Nice hike. Not a level section of trail from what I remember. I was either climbing or descending the entire way. I hiked the entire loop & never once saw Mt. Ranier (late Aug/early Sept 2001). It will rain on you there.

Got a shuttle service to take me from Seattle to the park @ Longmire & started hiking that day. I camped @:
    Devel's Dream Creek, Klapatche Park, Mowich Lake (resupply), Dick Creek, Granite Creek, White River CG (resupply @ Sunrise), Indian Bar, & Maple Creek. I didn't do the Spray Park alternate route & regretted that. Your permit will relegate you to specific camp sites. No 'legal' option to shorten or lengthen your days.

Images

This trail is on my list of must do's as well! Would love to also hear others itineraries and do's, dont's, when to, and how to's as far as logistics

I just realized that it's been 14 years since I did this with my daughter. My main suggestion is to not rush it. There is too much to see. Next time I would also start at White River so as to hit the highlights early and be a bit stronger for the tougher west side of the park. As long as the daily mileage works for you, you can't go wrong.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

"Anyone else done this? Looking at possible itinerary that worked for you so I can get ready to submit for a permit March 15th. Thinking on taking it easy, like 10-12 mile days "
    I wouldn't get too-o wrapped up in a specific itinerary, as in both cases I've hiked on this trail (once the whole loop, more recently half of the loop) my requested itinerary was adjusted by the N.P. staff to fit in with what was available when my turn in the lottery came up. You submit an itinerary that spaces you out on the number of days you want to hike it in, in the direction you want to go and from the location you want to start, and then they likely adjust that some.

I think a more important question is where you start and stop, and where and how many food caches you have along the way (and how you get them there).

This is a very well hiked trail, you can google for a lot of thoughts on these topics.

Indeed it can be somewhat challenging hiking. Similar to hiking the AT, you want to have above-average leg strength/endurance for climbing than is needed for a more average backpacking trip. The trail often feels like there's just no level ground, always dropping to a low creek crossing and then climbing to another pass. Such is circumnavigating a big mountain!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

There is a lot of good information about the Wonderland Trail here -- http://www.wonderlandtrailguide.com/planning/

I have hiked it several times. I have found that 8 or 9 days is about right; however, weather can really make a difference. One time I had no rain and 8 days was really easy. Another time, it rained everyday and 9 days was really hard.

In my opinion, there are three "must" camp sites: Summerland, Indian Bar and Klapatche Park. Because Summerland and Indian Bar are close together, one may have to add a day to stay at both of them. I think it is worth the extra day. Both are beautiful.

The 9 day itinerary suggested on the web site I mentioned above is a good one, but it skips Indian Bar. I would modify change Nickel Creek to Indian Bar. That would shorten day 2 and lengthen day 3.

I also don't like Devil's Dream Campsite. It is bug infested. One time I mentioned my dislike for Devil's Dream to one of the Rangers. He smiled and said, "When people give us a hard time about permits, we give them Devil's Dream."

If you are interested in pictures of the trail, here are links to some of my albums:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...313?banner=pwa

https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...689?banner=pwa

https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...001?banner=pwa

https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...241?banner=pwa

https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...129?banner=pwa

https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...065?banner=pwa
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    This is a very well hiked trail, you can google for a lot of thoughts on these topics.

The trail often feels like there's just no level ground
    Nonsense, there are several more or less level miles, scattered about.

Journal Entries

I hiked it and got a lot of great advice here from Feral bill and Shutterbug. it's a good hike but I did not have prior reservations so I had to go by what they have me. I came in thinking it would not be tough, but it was very tough. I did it in late September and it was scorching hot. take your time and take the side trails . I took one out to pinnacle peak, added a few miles on my day, but was well worth it. if I was to go again, I'd go in early summer to catch the blossoms on the flora. I must have seen a million spent lupines in one field. must be something in bloom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I hiked it and got a lot of great advice here from Feral bill and Shutterbug. it's a good hike but I did not have prior reservations so I had to go by what they have me. I came in thinking it would not be tough, but it was very tough. I did it in late September and it was scorching hot. take your time and take the side trails . I took one out to pinnacle peak, added a few miles on my day, but was well worth it. if I was to go again, I'd go in early summer to catch the blossoms on the flora. I must have seen a million spent lupines in one field. must be something in bloom

Shutterbug's been there lots more than me. I'd go to him for advice first.

While I agree that in September you will pass a lot of spent wild flowers, I think your assumption that early in the summer would be better isn't valid. It has been my observation that the wild flowers on Mt. Rainier bloom in a fairly narrow range of elevations. They start blooming at lower elevations in the spring and move up the mountain. One will see about the same number of wild flowers from late June until mid Sept They will simply be higher up the mountain later in the season. In my opinion, early September is the peak season. By late September, night time temperatures at the higher elevations start dropping to the point that the wild flowers wilt.

My last hike on the Wonderland for 2013 was Sept 12. You can see from my pictures that the wild flowers were spent -- https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...241?banner=pwa

Here is a link to my album on "Flowers and Plants of the Wonderland Trail" -- https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...593?banner=pwa

The pictures in the album were taken in mid August.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 02-23-2014 at 22:04.
    Shutterbug

Labor Day, 2013 - Above Paradise
    IMG_3589.JPGIMG_3579.JPGIMG_3546.JPG

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    While I agree that in September you will pass a lot of spent wild flowers, I think your assumption that early in the summer would be better isn't valid. It has been my observation that the wild flowers on Mt. Rainier bloom in a fairly narrow range of elevations. They start blooming at lower elevations in the spring and move up the mountain. One will see about the same number of wild flowers from late June until mid Sept They will simply be higher up the mountain later in the season. In my opinion, early September is the peak season. By late September, night time temperatures at the higher elevations start dropping to the point that the wild flowers wilt.

My last hike on the Wonderland for 2013 was Sept 12. You can see from my pictures that the wild flowers were spent -- https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...241?banner=pwa

Here is a link to my album on "Flowers and Plants of the Wonderland Trail" -- https://plus.google.com/photos/11296...593?banner=pwa

The pictures in the album were taken in mid August.
    looks like I just missed some of those. I saw some campanula (or some tiny blue flowers that looked like those) and I saw Aster, I saw a ton of spent lupines and a ton of spent Pasque Flowers I think. It was later in September so I think you may be right. I plan to head back to the area soon though. I want to explore the Cascades , possibly Diablo Lake.

YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

I want to explore the Cascades , possibly Diablo Lake.

There's some great hiking in the Cascades, Sourdough Mtn, Hidden Lake Lookout, Cascade Pass, Trappers Peak are awesome hike! Only hiked Freemont Lookout at Rainier and the clouds obscured the mountain. Did see around 30 mountain goats there!

Quote Originally Posted by jkahler View Post
    There's some great hiking in the Cascades, Sourdough Mtn, Hidden Lake Lookout, Cascade Pass, Trappers Peak are awesome hike! Only hiked Freemont Lookout at Rainier and the clouds obscured the mountain. Did see around 30 mountain goats there!
    There are so many good trails in Washington State that one could never hike them all. The problem is the short hiking season. The west side of the Cascades get a lot of snow, so many of the trails are snow covered from October until June. I go to Arizona for the winter. When I return to Washington, I hike to coastal trails until June. I usually start hiking in the Cascades around the middle of June. The Wonderland bridges are usually in by the middle of July and the PCT is melted out by mid-August.
    Shutterbug

Shutterbug, tell me you go back and forth between Gig Harbor and Sedona and I might start feeling envious. THX for all the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Shutterbug, tell me you go back and forth between Gig Harbor and Sedona and I might start feeling envious. THX for all the beta.
    Dogwood, I wouldn't want you to be envious. My winter home is a bit further south of Sedona. My wife and live in Gig Harbor, Wa in the summer and Green Valley, AZ in the winter. The pictures below are the views from our two homes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Dogwood, I wouldn't want you to be envious. My winter home is a bit further south of Sedona. My wife and live in Gig Harbor, Wa in the summer and Green Valley, AZ in the winter. The pictures below are the views from our two homes.
    If you don't want us to be envious, you really suck at it ;-)

No worries - great pics!!! Keep them coming.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Shutterbug, I would've sworn that your picture of your Arizona backyard was a painting if the barbed wire fence wasn't there! I'd still opt for the view of Rainier though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++