WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Wuff, I have not stayed at Paradise Inn. I agree with Feral Bill that is would be a difficult hike from Indian Bar to Paradise Inn, but there is a way to do what you propose, if you can get the reservations.

It would be reasonable to expect that you could hike from Indian Bar to Box Canyon and hitch a ride over to Paradise Inn. The following day, you could hitch back to Box Canyon and complete your WT hike to Longmire.

Another option is to hike from Indian Bar to Longmire and catch the shuttle over to Paradise. I have never used the shuttle, but I believe it runs from Ashford (the west entrance to the park) to Longmire to Paradise.

The hike from Indian Bar to Longmire is too long for me. I always break the hike from Indian Bar to Longmire into two days, camping at Nickle Creek, Maple Creek, or Snow Lake.

I will be in the permit pool with you next week. Last year, I was shut out on permits. The day I showed up at the Carbon River Office, there were 40 people in line ahead of me.
    Great, thank you for the tips. I think I'll avoid the long hike from Indian Bar up to Paradise Inn and maybe stay there after the hike if available. Good luck in the pool! Will be interesting to see how this new reservation system goes. I was up early to submit a fax last year only to hear they weren't accepting any permits for 2016. Bummer.

Garlic
    Images

If you're a light and fast hiker, consider getting a walk-in permit. That's worked well for both my WT trips. You may have a day that's a little too long or too short, but the ranger staff are really good about getting you on the mountain, I've noticed. Prior thru-hiking experience and flexibility helps!

The same approach worked well last weekend on a three-day trip into the Grand Canyon. Just showed up at the backcountry office late one morning and easily got two nights at Bright Angel.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

There are a few time windows when that might work, but just be ready to be a day hiker if things are full, as is likely during Spring Break (ie later weeks of March) in the GC... Unlikely that it would work for the WT in August.

Thanks for all the info Shutterbug

The web site for applying for a 2017 Wonderland Trail permit is now open -- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...amSCA/viewform
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    The web site for applying for a 2017 Wonderland Trail permit is now open -- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...amSCA/viewform
    Shutterbug,

What's the earliest and latest you'd recommend doing the trail this year? Working on my permit request now.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Shutterbug,

What's the earliest and latest you'd recommend doing the trail this year? Working on my permit request now.
    John M, I am in Arizona for the winter, so I have not paid attention to the snow pack on Mt. Rainier. In most years, mid-July is safe to start and up to the first of October will be ok. In some years the entire month of October is ok. The issue prior to mid-July is the snow pack on the east side. The issue in October is rain and snow.

I consider September to be the ideal month. You are likely to experience some snow squalls in September, but the snow won't build up enough to cause route finding problems.
    Shutterbug

I submitted permits today, with a preferred starting point at Box Canyon. We're traveling by car, and I'm wondering if we can park at the trailhead for the duration of our hike. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by tauwillow View Post
    I submitted permits today, with a preferred starting point at Box Canyon. We're traveling by car, and I'm wondering if we can park at the trailhead for the duration of our hike. Anyone know?
    Yes, there is a big parking lot at Box Canyon and more parking about 100 yards to the east. I have not left a car there, but I have left one at Reflection Lakes. I put a note on the dashboard that says I am hiking the Wonderland Trail. I have never had a problem.
    Shutterbug

Submitted my request Wed night. Now 6 weeks of waiting (and planning alternative trips....)

From NPS.gov:

Note: The park is no longer accepting reservation requests for the entire 93 mile Wonderland Trail. Between March 15 and April 1 we received a record number of requests. We will not be able to fulfill many of the requests we received in that time-frame, much less those that would arrive afterward. An alternative to getting a reservation is to attempt to get a first-come, first-served permit based on availability.

Sooooo I'm not holding my breath. It will be interesting to see if any of my friends that submitted an app get a permit.

One guy on the WT Facebook group already posted that he received a permit. Be interesting how many more start showing up. I'm hopeful but have prepared my self for the possibility that I won't get one this year.

They still have plenty of slots for walk ups. If you can be flexible on itinerary it is an option.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    They still have plenty of slots for walk ups. If you can be flexible on itinerary it is an option.
    The number of walk up slots will likely grow as the advance reservation NoShows are factored in.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I've thought about it but coming from way out of state, it seems like too much of a hassle. Lot of great places in the country to go backpacking, not like we have to hike the Wonderland. Working on planning a backup trip now in case we don't get a permit.

I've thought about it but coming from way out of state, it seems like too much of a hassle. Lot of great places in the country to go backpacking, not like we have to hike the Wonderland. Working on planning a backup trip now in case we don't get a permit.
    The Goat Rocks and William O Douglas Wilderness areas are just east of MT Rainier. They look very promising.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The Goat Rocks and William O Douglas Wilderness areas are just east of MT Rainier. They look very promising.
    Goat Rocks is definitely on my "to do" list. On the other hand, my buddy is currently obsessed with the Sierra Mountains. As long as I can fly west and hike 80 - 100 miles I don't particularly care.

Goat Rocks is definitely on my "to do" list. On the other hand, my buddy is currently obsessed with the Sierra Mountains. As long as I can fly west and hike 80 - 100 miles I don't particularly care.
    If you've never been to the Sierra you will see why he's obsessed.....incredible place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    If you've never been to the Sierra you will see why he's obsessed.....incredible place...
    No doubt. One of the reasons I'm not stressing about the Wonderland. If we get a permit, great! If not we still have plenty of time to plan a 7 - 10 day trip somewhere else. One of the advantages of traveling long distances to backpack, not much difference in flying to WA, OR, CA, or CO.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++