WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default May 2015 Sobo Tru Hiker Needed!

Hi everyone!

I really want to tru hike the entire AT after I graduate from college in May of 2015. I was wondering if anyone else was on the same boat:]? I've met quite a few college/recent college students that are tru hiking it all, but not a lot right after graduate because of the odd timing. I know it'll be more difficult to have a backpacking family Sobo just because I'm not leaving at the normal launch time. I have a 'grace period' of 6 months right after I graduate until I have to pay back my college loans, so I want to start backpacking as soon as possible. I know I'm looking pretty early for a partner, but I just to make sure to have someone. Ideally I'd want someone around my age, but anyone older would be awesome too. Like a little family !

Dawn

Images

Hi Dawn,
    May is just a terrible time to start a SOBO. You will not likely find anyone (at least anyone that knows the terrain) who wants to hike ME and NH in May. Late snow pack and melt, raging streams to ford, mud like you can't imagine, swarms of black flies.
    A much better plan would be to start NOBO at Harpers Ferry and then flip back and finish SOBO.

Also see http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...where-to-start

Images

+1 on starting at Harper's Ferry and heading north. Much better weather and trail conditions. Also, some years Katahdin doesn't open until after Memorial Day or even into early June.

Another major plus to this plan is that you get to "finish" twice, once at Katahdin and once at Springer. You also get to hike the South in the fall, which is pretty nice.

Try this page and scroll down to "Head Start: May."
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Hi Dawn,
    May is just a terrible time to start a SOBO. You will not likely find anyone (at least anyone that knows the terrain) who wants to hike ME and NH in May. Late snow pack and melt, raging streams to ford, mud like you can't imagine, swarms of black flies.
    A much better plan would be to start NOBO at Harpers Ferry and then flip back and finish SOBO.
    Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate the thoughts, but I'm pretty set on thru hiking it all on one shot. Just because of the money and the timing. I've started training my body to get ready for the hike. I'm used to backpacking in both the ice/snow and the hot/humidity in PA. As for the raging streams I have teva water shoes, Gore-tex boots, and trekking poles I plan on bringing. Probably gonna buy a mosquito burka too... Thank you for your input, I'm a little more concerned about the weather now, but I'm really excited still. I was planning on leaving after Memorial Day.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd very much appreciate it!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dawnthan View Post
    Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate the thoughts, but I'm pretty set on thru hiking it all on one shot. Just because of the money and the timing. I've started training my body to get ready for the hike. I'm used to backpacking in both the ice/snow and the hot/humidity in PA. As for the raging streams I have teva water shoes, Gore-tex boots, and trekking poles I plan on bringing. Probably gonna buy a mosquito burka too... Thank you for your input, I'm a little more concerned about the weather now, but I'm really excited still. I was planning on leaving after Memorial Day.

why don't you do a nobo in May starting at springer?
    by June your in Damascus in July your in Harpers Ferry, August in New England and September thru the Whites and Maine. May used to be a pretty common start time for nobos and there are still a few May starters in GA.

I live in New England . may in Maine sux. u will likely quit if u leave then. hip deep snow drifts on the ridge line that stretch for a mile. bugs are literally mind blowing and will ruin every day. mud will confound u. some of the trail sections will be like rivers, ankle deep in stretches . the rivers are high and difficult and cold when fording. and the weather sucks. sobo is a good idea , just July 1 is a better time to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Getting your socks wet will be the least of your concerns fording a swollen river at peak snow melt.

Hi everyone!

I really want to tru hike the entire AT after I graduate from college in May of 2015. I was wondering if anyone else was on the same boat:]? I've met quite a few college/recent college students that are tru hiking it all, but not a lot right after graduate because of the odd timing. I know it'll be more difficult to have a backpacking family Sobo just because I'm not leaving at the normal launch time. I have a 'grace period' of 6 months right after I graduate until I have to pay back my college loans, so I want to start backpacking as soon as possible. I know I'm looking pretty early for a partner, but I just to make sure to have someone. Ideally I'd want someone around my age, but anyone older would be awesome too. Like a little family !

Dawn
    Hi Dawn, 22 year old here, planning on going SOBO in 2015. I won't start until the middle of June, however.

Little late to the party on this post but if you're still looking for a partner I'm planning on doing a SOBO in 2015. No specific time yet, just as long as it's after May 12th. That's the last day of exams for me. I also would like to hike with maybe one or two people.

I am a NJ resident, and starting my SOBO from the Del water Gap 4/8 and should be through PA by first week of May. Then pressing onto GA, don't know if that works for you

Hi!

How are your plans going to hike SOBO at the end of May? I'm a 26 year old guy from Halifax, Nova Scotia, and I'm trying my best to get ready for then. I'm going to be looking for other Canadians to team up with, as well as anyone on this forum with similar plans. Let me know if you're still considering it.
    Last edited by sobo scotian; 01-24-2015 at 20:04.

Sorry for not responding before guys! I thought this site emails notifications when someone replies to threads >.> Anywho, like I said on your thread Daniel, I'm backpacking it with my high school friend come May. Baxter doesn't open until it gets safe enough (normally Memorial Day). I'm keeping in contact with some Mainers to know how things are looking.

This is great there are are some many people wanting to backpack it around the same time! And we're all around the same age too. It'd be a lot easier for us to pass raging water ways if we have multiple people. Maybe I can set up a Facebook page with everyone planning on going or and email thread for those of you without facebooks.

Go2guy: If you're interested in possibly meeting up with us, we can exchange numbers and keep in contact while we're hiking:]

Hey all,
    I would like to sobo as early as possible as well. Very concerned about the weather so may decide to start further south than maine. Classes finish may 15.

Are there any other good starting points just past new Hampshire..(not as far south as harpers ferry)

Trevor

Hey Trevor:]

I don't know what you're specifically looking for, but you check out this interactive map to find places! I mostly just backpacking in Pennsylvania since that is where I live. The Delaware Water Gap and the Pinnacle are pretty interesting places. The Gap is at the top of the PA sections and the Pinnacle is in the middle. If you start at the Water Gap, I suggest in NJ. You get to see nice sights.

Do you not have cold weather gear for backpacking? Or are you concerned for the black flies, mud, and creeks?

++ New Posts ++