WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Should people be required to pay or give back to the trail?

After reading a recent thread I'm inclined to think that some feel yes. There seemed to be a definite attempted guilt trip going on in this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-Water-sources which the OP handled with style and grace as she stepped over it.

Here on WB there are many strong opinions expressed as to where the funds for a thru hike should come from. But this one takes it a bit further, that you should pay for the trail in addition to funding yourself on the trail.

With that stated and requesting your opinion, I will state mine...

I was willing to sacrifice everything for what I believe is a new life after the AT thru. I closed a business (that was losing money), knowing I needed to change my life, but to do that find out what I needed in life. Everything was pointing to my only option was a door to a new life 2000+ miles long. I was willing to use my retirement funds to do this hike, as I knew that is what I needed to do.

Well it never came to that, I never had to touch my retirement. I people who were so willing to help. That was one of the learning experiences of the trail, learning what a friend really is along with what family is suppose to be.

I didn't ask for this funding, but did receive it, and expressed such thanks, which may encouraged others to also help. In short I hiked and graduated the thru hiker class of 2013 on scholarship. I also got a ride down to springer, a ride back from Katahdin and a personal traveling trail angel for about 1/3 of the trail.

I do feel the trail offers this to people who are in such need. And I must admit I needed exactly that in my life. It was knowing that people cared about me enough to see me prosper and get what I needed for my next stage in life that made all the difference.

So to me the trail is a living entity far more advanced then us and does not require you to give back, but only for you to prosper. Giving and/or receiving both are ways to do so and are both right and good and needed and will cause prosperity. The trail knows who needs to give and who needs to receive and loves both. Those who need to receive the trail know will be able to give, either back to the 'trail' simply trusts will eventually give back, it may take time but it will happen when the time is right, and to much surplus. There are also those who will take (as opposed to receive), the trail can handle this too though ther is a loss in this.

So in short I stick to the WB motto HYOH, if you want to pay for your hike then please do so, but also please HYOH and if you desire to pay for it and don't try to H anyone elses H, let the trail and them work it out and the finances.
    Last edited by Starchild; 02-20-2014 at 08:24.

"should people be REQUIRED to pay or give back to the trail?"

no..........

For me, supporting trails is important. I live a few hours from the AT so it's usually easier to give financially when I can't make it out there. I think it's important to be a member of the ATC or one of the trail clubs. I do the same thing with IMBA but do help with trail maintenance because they are right in my back yard.

Notice what I said there. Me and I. I feel that way. You shouldn't worry about what I think or what anybody else thinks. There's no reason to be offended by the opinions of others, especially on the internet.

Now, the question is, did you write this out of a little guilt, or did someone offend you on the internet? Either way, if you think you're doing it right, and you're not keeping anyone else from doing it how they think is right, there's not a problem. I say just let it go.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Well it depends... The point is often made that the AT is a unit of the national park service which is true. Assuming you pay federal income taxes you're supporting the trail.

I think a person who enjoys the trail should definitely consider going above and beyond that but there's no need to feel guilty if you don't.

Walking on public lands should not require any substantial payment. I don't have a problem with $10-20 for wilderness permits since there is a cost to issuing and managing the system but any large cost shouldn't be required IMO. That doesn't mean that people who can contribute something should not of course.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kennajm View Post
    ..Now, the question is, did you write this out of a little guilt, or did someone offend you on the internet?....
    Since you asked, no not a bit of guilt, just a deep sense of disgust that anyone would guilt another into buying something she does not need no ever use just because she is using the trail and 'should give back'.

I almost threw up over this.

I give to the trail every year...indirectly through taxes. That's plenty for me.

Of course not.

But I think one should join the ATC for at least the year that they are hiking. If they decide to continue the membership or do trail maintenance afterwards that would be great but in no way should be required.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

"Should people be required to pay or give back to the trail"

Required? No. Morally obligated? Yes.

Demanding payment for use of the trail would require a framework of permits, reserved campsites, enforcement, oversight, quotas, infractions as well as all of the bureaucracy and ham fisted managagement theories that go along with such ventures. Once the overhead is taken into account the fee collection alone would barely pay for itself and it would absolutely damage the character of the trail.

So to me the trail is a living entity far more advanced then us and does not require you to give back, but only for you to prosper
    While i do think that we all should give back to the A.T., either by donating or volunteering, your quote above does holds a lot of merit.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Morally obligated? Yes.
    So if I enjoy a walk around my block, do I have a similar moral obligation to give extra money to my HOA every year? This is ludicrous.

In the course of our lives we will all give a little and take a little. While I might be on the receiving end where others may have given, someone else will benefit from where I have given.

We are more likely, on balance, to be takers in our youth and have more to offer as we mature. Additionally, as we mature, we are less likely to get our undies in a bunch regarding such issues. Just one more reason to ditch the undies.

i will wait for dogwood's response!!!!!!

My "contribution" to the trail so far has been to leave it a little more beaten down so the next hiker has less guess-work as to where it is.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Choosing to "give back" to the trail is a wonderful and personal thing....and should be approached (IMHO) sincerely, and somewhat the same way as one might give a gift. "Homemade" gifts are usually much more thoughtful and significant that the store-bought variety.

If you choose to give, do it the way you feel is best.

(unrelated side note: HM...your post wasn't here when I started typing, I swear! We are not, in fact, a posting tag-team!!!)
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-19-2014 at 16:09.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

There have been a few studies done that show once you take out the altruistic feel goodness out of giving you decrease humanitarian actions. (Sounds convoluted. Lol. Google Freakonomics... I think they have some numbers on it. Also a basic altruism search might bring up some info. Basic google search about taxing of the rich and the interesting effect that has on giving back.)

I think a required tax disperses personal responsibility.

It also creates a sense of entitlement. The root-rot of society.

Taken literally, what hikers are "taking" when we walk on public lands using leave no trace principles comes down to a small amount of erosion to the trail. Of course, the cumulative impact of thousands of footprints requires trail maintenance efforts.

Hikers can "give back" by volunteering, making a small donation to a trail organization, or buying products from trail organizations but it is likely that anything other than a very small donation would be doing more "giving back" than "taking" and enters the realm of altruism. There is nothing at all wrong with altruism but people shouldn't be subject to guilt for failure to "give back" when very little is "taken" assuming leave no trace principles are strictly followed.

As for paying taxes, I'm not sure how much trail maintenance is funded through tax revenues. At least in the areas that I frequently hike, volunteers appear to be responsible for much of the trail maintenance. Most NPS dollars seem to be devoted to automobile tourists rather than hikers with the probable justification that the majority of visitors to parks hardly get out of their cars and their tax dollars should fund activities they participate in.

I've purchased a number of products from trail organizations and that's partly "giving back" but I actually needed all of those products so it is also a commercial transaction as well.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Those water bars, steps, spring improvements, privies and shelters were put there by someone. Never hurts to send a dime or dollar per mile to the maintaining club for the miles you have trod. It's your choice, as is a contribution of zero. Sure much of the trail is on federal or state land but it is the local trail maintainers and ATC that I suspect keep it in repair. Along with your $$$ you can offer suggestions for repair and maintenance.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

I work my ass off for 6 months every year so I can afford to thru hike. I don't ask for help from anyone. I'm not on any government assistance. I don't feel like I need to give back to the trail. I do though feel the urge to pay it forward. Everyone gets help from trail angles, so when i can help another hiker I do.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I'm so confused? I do get offended by the opinions of others, especially on the internet.

I think if a member, on WB, consistently "attacks" others and is always negative towards others they should be confronted & dealt with by the admins of this site.

I get PM's when the admins feel I'm "out of line." Is this what we are talking about here? I'm confused. I'm also confused when I see members consistently behaving poorly. Do they get PM's?

I try to be positive, supportive and upbeat towards everyone. I'm a fan of being part of an online community that LIKES others in the hiking community. I do wonder sometimes if some members really LIKE anyone? I'd say that would be a negative for some, IMHO.

I know we aren't always going to agree with each other but can we still be friendly, respectful and kind towards each other? I don't think that's too much to ask.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/yo...poor-give-more

the UL'ers who power 40 miles a day and spend 10k on gear and bring 50k to spend are not the people who make the trail community, its the people with 1k gear and 3-4 k to spend who stop and talk and hang out in towns and get involved and who donate to hiking clubs later on and become trail angels ext. and make what the trail has become, the real Appalachian trail is not the trail itself but the people like you hikermom who make every day enjoyable! i love everyone here (... including dogwood ) because everyone here loves what i love hiking and people!

to answer the question of the topic , should someone be required to pay, NOPE but like any service a tip is always a plus

No requirements. After all, those who gain life memories from the AT will give back one way or the other.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++