WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Water sources

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

A few shelters have unreliable water sources - Theron Dean and Shooting Star come to mind, and Butler Lodge's spring can dry up, but there is plentiful water in the streams south of the lodge. It can be dry atop the Lincoln Mountain ridge, and it's usually bone dry from Laura Woodward to Journey's end. Otherwise, the more frequent problem is too much water.

Images

Round top shelter has a pump that was dry when I hiked the LT, and no water at shooting star. Have fun, it's a great trail!
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Images

In a dry year some summit shelters can dry up or close to it. In 12 Cooper Lodge was dry & Pico camp was a slow tricklePiped Spring at Peru Peak.jpg

I have had occasional issues with water quality on the LT. On the Nobo ascent of Mt. Abraham I filtered a couple of liters of water from a stream that crossed the trail. The stream was flowing well. Even after filtering, the water was a deep tan color, I'm guessing from dissolved minerals. It tasted horrible and left me a bit weak and nauseous. It's caused me to be wary of taking water from a fast, shallow stream that's been flowing over a rock bed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Shooting Star can be an issue. I do carry a filter. In the half dozen times I've hiked the long trail its usually been the other problem. Too much rain. The Northern sections of this trail are pure beauty. That last section I do carry a quart. Mainly because I just get thirsty with the elevation. Have fun.

For folks from outside the area, be aware that Vermont and NE Hampshire "springs" are rarely a typical spring in other parts of the country. A spring in this area is a source of flowing water, it usually is surface water or on rare occasions a traditional spring bubbling up from the ground. I many places in the whites its surface water running through a boulder field. In most cases surface contamination can get into the water supply.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, I had problems getting water at Kid Gore Shelter on my '07 thruhike. It was the midst of a bad drought at the time. The next day brought heavy rains!

Journal Entries

Thanks for all this great information. I'll go ahead and plan on not getting water at shooting star, and carrying a little extra in the northern section. This year, I'm guessing water isn't going to be a huge issue based on what we've been getting so far, but you never know how mother nature will shake things up. Either way, I'm glad I wont be out there anytime near the heaviest mud season.

I hope your hike went well. I had an issue with the scale as well. We tried the most northern section a couple of weeks ago starting at VT 105 and my map did t show the giant private dirt road just west of the trail. Water wasn’t an issue though with all that snow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++