WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Wow, I wasn’t really expecting this thread to carry on for this length but I am pleased to get so much information from experienced hikers. Thank you all!

[Starting from post #34]

[Wayne]
    Thanks for that link. I had seen that PDF from the NPS web site but I didn’t notice the mileage notations. Very helpful.

Also, the 500 mile thing I said is more talk than walk. When I’m first looking at maps the only thing I can think of is seeing it all, but after I start to get into the nitty-gritty I will have to scale that mileage way back to give myself time to do other things, like check out towns and do a few peaks.

Currently I’ve planned out about 200 miles, 4 summit peaks, a trip up to Waterton Park, and at least two town stops for laundry days and to experience Montana life.

Oh yes, if I can get the time off I will always be game for the Winds, Bridger-Teton, and Yellowstone. I’ve only been to WY twice and I could spend all summer up in NW Wyoming. Plus, the food and drink in Jackson will stand up to almost anything from NY to SF.

[Chiefiepoo]
    Bear boxes in the front country sites, bear poles in the back country. So bear barrels are not required, interesting. I wonder if the bear poles are like the ones they have in the Shenandoah’s. I always felt like I should have won a carnival prize after trying to get my food bag hitched to the top of one of those things.

[Fiddlehead]
    I definitely want to try to get up to Waterton Park, anything up there (besides the hiking and views) that you recommend I should go check out?

Also, the Ptarmigan tunnel is definitely on my bucket list.

[Feral Bill]
    I love salt-in-the-gear stories. On the AT I would always see all the wood chewed up from the shelters to the privies, but on the PCT and else where out west it usually gets serious because the game animals are so large they can take off with an entire pack with no problem.

[Here’s my must do/see list so far:]
    All of the Pacific NW trail (~50 miles), all of the CDT (~120 miles) including Waterton Park, Mt. Cleveland, Mt Stimson, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Triple Divide Pk., and Chief Mountain.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Images

The bear poles are not like the ones in the Shenandoah. Less of a piñata thing. Much higher in the air.

IMG_0245.jpg
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++