WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Powell,
    I had this same problem, it was my sleeping bag. I am sort of broad shouldered and my bag was too restrictive, so I'd fold my arms across my chest and end up with each hand in the opposite armpit, which decreased the blood flow, causing my hands then arms to fall asleep and wake me up from pain. SOunds silly I suppose but that's my experience,
    I haven't hiked/camped in a while but I am looking for a Western Mountaineering Badger, it's got the largest shoulder area of any bag I've found so far.

This was actually happening to me in my bed the other day when I had my arm down by my side and I thought of this post. I have a habit of sleeping with my hands by or over my head (so my wife says - I can't say for sure since I'm asleep when I'm asleep). Perhaps this is why I do that. It's easier when you sleep on your side.

Unbelievable, try to focus on this doc...the original post asked " has anyone had a similar problem" the post did not ask for people who think they know everything to comment and correct other peoples experiences that they know nothing about...but since this is now between us now.....you are just dead wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Unbelievable, try to focus on this doc...the original post asked " has anyone had a similar problem" the post did not ask for people who think they know everything to comment and correct other peoples experiences that they know nothing about...but since this is now between us now.....you are just dead wrong

Here, this breaks it down barney style for you;

http://health.howstuffworks.com/huma...uestion552.htm

You're being very ignorant about the situation. Do some research instead of claiming BS. You're making false assumptions about something you simply don't know anything about.

Doc....Who died and made you such an expert...my experience is those that call people ignorant and claim expertise are in fact ignorant frauds themselves

i live with a form of neuropathy, and would have been very interested in an open intelligent exchange of ideas from others with similar experience. instead.... thanks guys! well played

Keep it civil folks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Doc....Who died and made you such an expert...my experience is those that call people ignorant and claim expertise are in fact ignorant frauds themselves

I apologize, I never claimed to be an expert. It was what I was taught while going to school for medicine. You're probably right though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    i live with a form of neuropathy, and would have been very interested in an open intelligent exchange of ideas from others with similar experience. instead.... thanks guys! well played
    I apologize for the Incivility Hill Ape!
    I'd love to have a discussion related to neuropathy though! Is it diabetic related?
    I also have access to a ton of medical journals, they come with the costly tuition, so if you want me to look up any articles for you i'd be happy to do so. I'd love to get the most out of it before I graduate this year and lose access.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    I apologize for the Incivility Hill Ape!
    I'd love to have a discussion related to neuropathy though! Is it diabetic related?
    I also have access to a ton of medical journals, they come with the costly tuition, so if you want me to look up any articles for you i'd be happy to do so. I'd love to get the most out of it before I graduate this year and lose access.
    I have great respect for anybody attempting school to become a doctor. My daughter-in-law is a first year med student and it is brutal! Good luck in your studies, DocMahns!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I have great respect for anybody attempting school to become a doctor. My daughter-in-law is a first year med student and it is brutal! Good luck in your studies, DocMahns!
    not quite a physician, but I'm studying nursing with the end goal of being a nurse practitioner if everything goes right.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    not quite a physician, but I'm studying nursing with the end goal of being a nurse practitioner if everything goes right.
    My daughter also is currently in regular nursing school (BSRN). I know what you are saying about expensive text books. Outrageous.

Journal Entries

My arms fall asleep frequently at night n various positions, blood flow gets pinched off. Have for as long as I can remember, but seems to get more frequent as I get older. I frequently wake up and have to use the other arm to straighten the one asleep out so blood can flow back in. One time I woke up with both asleep, that ..was wierd. I sat up and they dangled by my side until blood flow returned. It happens, arm is cold to touch, no feeling either.. Its isnt neuropathy. Nice warm coming alive feeling when blood flow returns.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    My arms fall asleep frequently at night n various positions, blood flow gets pinched off. Have for as long as I can remember, but seems to get more frequent as I get older. I frequently wake up and have to use the other arm to straighten the one asleep out so blood can flow back in. One time I woke up with both asleep, that ..was wierd. I sat up and they dangled by my side until blood flow returned. It happens, arm is cold to touch, no feeling either.. Its isnt neuropathy. Nice warm coming alive feeling when blood flow returns.
    "Any discussion of what causes limbs to fall asleep would be remiss without talking about the common misconception that a limb falling asleep is caused by a lack of blood flow to the entire limb involved. While blood flow is blocked to the nerve specifically, if the entire limb were to be cut off from blood, severe life threatening problems would arise every time we sat “crisscross applesauce” in grade-school "
    "In medical terms, this is referred to as compartment syndrome. When blood flow is halted or reduced, life sustaining PH balance is in jeopardy. The area affected begins to become extremely acidic and cells begin to break down. Waste products and lethal levels of electrolytes, like potassium, begin to build up. Once the pressure on the limb is released, this “acid blood” is then sent back to the heart with potentially lethal consequences. Ask all those people on death row if excessive potassium is a good thing. They might want to reconsider investing in a portfolio that backs the production of potassium chloride. Cardiac arrest anyone!"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    My daughter also is currently in regular nursing school (BSRN). I know what you are saying about expensive text books. Outrageous.
    That's awesome, what year is she? It's the most stressful thing I have ever done in my life. They throw so much at you and expect you retain all of it.

I think we need to clarify the origins of limbs falling asleep at night. It occurs when blood flow is temporarily stopped from getting into an arm or leg. Feeling is lost in that limb until blood flow (and oxygen) returns. It often happens when you spend more than a few minutes with your legs crossed, or while lying in an awkward position while sleeping. ( that's copy and pasted) the other example given is an extreme case scenario and could happen if let's say a person was intoxicated and passed out in an awkward position for an extended period of time. Think of a tourniquet, Luckily, however, most of us wake up before it ever gets to compartment syndrome and the resulting by-products that could be life threatening if allowed to seep in to the general circulation.

Images

I think we need to clarify the origins of limbs falling asleep at night. It occurs when blood flow is temporarily stopped from getting into an arm or leg. Feeling is lost in that limb until blood flow (and oxygen) returns. It often happens when you spend more than a few minutes with your legs crossed, or while lying in an awkward position while sleeping. ( that's copy and pasted) the other example given is an extreme case scenario and could happen if let's say a person was intoxicated and passed out in an awkward position for an extended period of time. Think of a tourniquet, Luckily, however, most of us wake up before it ever gets to compartment syndrome and the resulting by-products that could be life threatening if allowed to seep in to the general circulation.
    Thank you, that's pretty much what I've been trying to say. It's not the blood loss that is creating that feeling, it is the nerves. Even though reduced blood flow could be a cause, it's not actually creating the feeling.

Yes, but what we are talking about here is cause and effect...cause: interruption of blood flow, effect: tingling sensation, cure: restore blood flow and ergo oxygen undoubtedly, sensations are caused by nerves. But, if let's say someone gets slapped in the face, would you argue the point that it's not the hand that's causing the cheek to tingle. No. If I asked that person why is your cheek tingling? They would say, I was slapped. They wouldn't say the nerves in my cheek have been stimulated causing my cheek to tingle

Yes, I have the same problem
    Yes, I wish I could get a wider Neo-Air

When your elbow drop to ground level while on a pad, it puts the nerve running through your elbow at the exact point to contact the ground. Feel your own elbow, you will find a pressure point their.

I try to keep something there to keep my elbow up or at least not hit the ground. Usually my fleece if I'm not wearing it. It does not have to be something comfortable. If it not a good thing to lay on, your body will keep your arms off it while you sleep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++