WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What do you eat if you don't use a stove?

Just wondering how folks get along without a stove while hiking the trail. I am thinking of going stoveless and need some ideas on what to eat. Thanks.

Journal Entries

pbj burritos is my mainstay. cheese blocks, salami, bagels, gorp. cold cuts , chips, tuna fish, sardines, fruit, cereal . some people soak meals but that ain't my gig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

people, preferably live to prevent spoilage.

yes but cold :-)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Some food ideas used by myself or others:

• Dehydrated beans in bulk: Dehydrated black beans, lentils and hummus (chic peas) can all be found in the bulk section of many grocery stores. Add water and add to a starch and you have a filling meal that “cooks” in minutes.
    • Instant mashed potatoes: Cold mashed potatoes mixed with a protein (pepperoni for example) actually hits the spot for me
    • Couscous: I find that the Near East brand rehydrates quite well in a zip-lock bag after 5-10 minutes.
    • Ramen: If you have time in camp, let it sit for a bit (30 minutes +/-) and the noodle re-hydrate fine
    • Tortilla wraps with cheese or peanut butter or beans and so on: A tortilla is almost miraculous in its versatility!
    • Pita chips: Yummy and great for dipping in the rehydrated beans
    • Tuna or Chicken packs, jerky, salami, pepperoni sticks: Even with hot meals, protein often has to be packed in non-dehydrated. I often mix and match my protein with some of the above… be it eating cold or using a stove
    • Typical backpacking snacks: GORP or fig bars with peanut butter makes a good breakfast; some jerky, tortillas and cheese make a perfectly fine meals. After a while you stop thinking of meals and just think of food. Need a power lunch to fuel for the last half of the day? Have the couscous and hummus for a mid-day meal.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

live people are like MRE's with self heating pack- no stove needed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    people, preferably live to prevent spoilage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    live people are like MRE's with self heating pack- no stove needed.
    with some fava beans and a nice chianti ?

Not sure how to no-cook fava beans, but maybe the people you are eating will have a stove.

Hard to find chianti in a bag, especially nice one.

Bag wine is like real wine without all those pesky bottles and corks to carry.

Bring NIDO, eat cold cereal, I hear people who don't eat people, who don't bring stoves eat cereal. I prefer beer-I-O's, or Honey-Nut beer-I-o's with a good Weiss.

Goodnight Claric(ssss)e

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

From the thread, "Stoveless? What will I eat!!!"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...sharing#gid=17

Click the tabs along the bottom of the spreadsheet....

Sandwiches (yes I carry bread, not tortillas) with cheese and summer sausage. Country ham is good too (people will hate you, or its is a good way to make friends if you share). I like to roast some hot dogs or smoked sausages over the fire. Fresh fruit is good. Tuna salad in the pouches on some pumpernickel bread. Pastries. Just go wild. As long as you have 800 fill down etc to keep the weight down and an appropriately sized pack where you don't have to compress the hell out of your stuff then the sky is the limit.

Images

I've been going stoveless on my summer sections, and it's been great. I'll still carry a stove in cold weather, but for warm weather hiking there's no going back.

Breakfast: any sort of cereal and powdered milk with dried fruit and nuts. So granola works great, as do Grape Nuts and other dense, non-crushable cereals. Pop Tarts (duh.) Gorp. For coffee I bring the Starbux Via Iced Coffee packets, which are terrific. Highly recommended. Also chocolate covered espresso beans can work if it's not too hot. You can also make muesli from oatmeal, nuts, and fruit.

Lunch: the usual trail lunches. For me that's various things wrapped in a tortilla -- tuna, cheese, peanut butter, pepperoni sticks, etc. Powdered hummus mix and crackers (and a cucumber the first or second day out of town.) Hard cheeses. More gorp. Pretzels. You can pretty much go wild in the grocery store and it will work.

Dinner: a repeat of lunch.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

coffee infused almonds yum yum !!!!!!!!

Garlic
    Images

It helped me to stop thinking in terms of "meals" and to eat something substantial every couple of hours when you take a break.

If you add nuts and raisins to rolled oats you have a pretty good muesli you can eat any time. Rolled oats are already cooked/steamed in processing. Dip a cup into the bag, add water, eat, repeat. Instant refried beans and corn chips make a decent meal. Dried hummus and pita chips are pretty good together, too. I try to pack one fresh item, even if just a carrot, for every day.

With some care, you can eat a pretty good diet. Or you can eat Little Debbies all day, every day. Some really like that.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Soon you can carry MRE pizza.

Dried hummus was one of my favorite lunch foods last year but I have found it very hard to find anywhere except online. I used the Fantastic Foods brand, purchased as a full case from Amazon.com. Not cheap ... works out to about $4 per box purchased as a case of 12. I used 1/3 of a package per meal, but still not cheap. Hummus is like an olive oil delivery system. I hydrated the hummus with a half oil, half water mixture. Ate it with tortillas for a high calorie lunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Food...antastic+foods
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I am slowly trying to give up my morning coffee fix. Very slowly. I'm cutting back on volume. So far, I've eliminated all caffeine except for my morning coffee. If I succeed, I'll finally try stoveless during the warmer months this year.

Lack of hot coffee would be my biggest obstacle as well. I've tried Starbucks via cold and it is drinkable but I don't like it ... Still, it would deliver the caffeine fix.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Caffeinated gum is another alternative to the coffee. Loses the aesthetic appeal but definitely gets the job done. I use it occasionally when a cup of coffee isn't readily available.
    http://www.amazon.com/MILITARY-ENERG...dp/B002U2IMBA/

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Dried hummus was one of my favorite lunch foods last year but I have found it very hard to find anywhere except online. I used the Fantastic Foods brand, purchased as a full case from Amazon.com. Not cheap ... works out to about $4 per box purchased as a case of 12. I used 1/3 of a package per meal, but still not cheap. Hummus is like an olive oil delivery system. I hydrated the hummus with a half oil, half water mixture. Ate it with tortillas for a high calorie lunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Food...antastic+foods
    Buy a dehydrator and make your own!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Dried hummus was one of my favorite lunch foods last year but I have found it very hard to find anywhere except online...
    Yeah, I know. The only place I found it on my AT hike was at The Coop in Hanover.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++