WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sharkbait-2000

Default Sharkbait-2000

Looking for a guy I hiked with in 2000- Pretty sure his trail name was Sharkbait, but could have been Sharkbite. Having a little trouble remembering since he liked to tell a different story to everyone we met, and at least three different stories to any ladies we met(and it's been 14 years) We hiked together for about 6 weeks, I was starting a SOBO and he had just flip-flopped and we met in Monson at Shaw's and hiked together until a pink blaze he'd been looking for surfaced and we split up.

Easy guy to remember-Nobo who flipped up in August, Blue gregory pack, trekking poles, named Richie- from Athens, Ga. Tall, skinny, bald head, funny, good with the ladies and a tale; and the easy part- his legs looked like he was bitten by a shark. I heard tell from some young hikers back around 2010 I met in Hot Springs that somebody wrote about him in one of the trail books if that rings a bell for anyone.

Sad to say even though we hiked together for so long the only picture I could find was of the back of his head. Of course nestled in the two bags next to him are two gorgeous gals from Switzerland he sweet talked into staying on the ridge with us that night. Tossed a few pics of me from then too just in case he wonders who the hell is lookin for him if he gets to see this. I went by Wille Nelson that year and he was the one who gave me the name.

Never found out if he finished, or more importantly for him if the pink blaze he was on turned out to be the long trail he was hoping for. Was doing some writing and wanted to tell a few tales of adventure and a bit of his inspirational hike.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I lent my copy out, (and thus can't check), but I think he was mentioned in the Barefoot Sister's first volume.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Maybe this guy got him.....

Or this one....

Or he went for a swim....

"Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    I lent my copy out, (and thus can't check), but I think he was mentioned in the Barefoot Sister's first volume.
    I never got around to reading that one- did they hike in 2000? Have to pick it up if he's in there.

Thanks for the post-

Teach- Thanks for your unhelpful post. HUGZ!!

Anytime JB....your fish is my command.....
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Flowers... For Whom...Candygram...You're that clever landshark....No ma'am, I'm just a friendly dolphin....oh, a dolphin okay.

Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-18-2014 at 14:47.

I'm just impressed!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Flowers... For Whom...Candygram...You're that clever landshark....No ma'am, I'm just a friendly dolphin....oh, a dolphin okay.
    Classic SNL.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I knew Sharkbait, but can't tell you where he is now - sorry. After I finished my thru in 2k I drove to Pennsylvania in mid November for a weekend and stopped in at the Doyle. Sharkbait was there on his sobo leg, and I bought him a beer. I'm not sure how much further he had to go, but that's what I know.
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

I have newfound respect for the phrase "within walking distance." -Welches

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I never got around to reading that one- did they hike in 2000? Have to pick it up if he's in there.

Thanks for the post-

Teach- Thanks for your unhelpful post. HUGZ!!
    Southbound, at a leisurely pace, and barefoot, except on snow and ice. They hiked through the winter and finished early 2001. Then they hiked back home with the nobos. (They're Mainers.)

Quote Originally Posted by likeahike View Post
    That's my boy! Thanks!

Man- does anyone look good in these photos? Fella looks half asleep, half drunk, and worn out. Of course he is in a town so the picture is likely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDoug View Post
    I knew Sharkbait, but can't tell you where he is now - sorry. After I finished my thru in 2k I drove to Pennsylvania in mid November for a weekend and stopped in at the Doyle. Sharkbait was there on his sobo leg, and I bought him a beer. I'm not sure how much further he had to go, but that's what I know.
    Thanks Doug- Timing sounds about right, if I recall he flip flopped up north a bit past HF so he was likely about to finish. I probably just missed him, I busted out around Wind Gap in late October.

Images

Bill...
    Just seeing this post now in 2016.
    I hiked with Sharkbait out of Monson southbound on my half hike of the AT in 2000.
    I saw him in Culver's Gap later in the Fall and at Trail Days in 2001. He did finish in 2000
    and, when I saw him last (May 2001), he was great. That was soooo long ago now.
    Peace.

Big Bear
    AT '93
    PCT '96

Yes he was. In the Barefoot sister's stories, he got hit by a car while standing in a phone booth. Thats what tore up his legs, all the broken glass.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Bill...
    Just seeing this post now in 2016.
    I hiked with Sharkbait out of Monson southbound on my half hike of the AT in 2000.
    I saw him in Culver's Gap later in the Fall and at Trail Days in 2001. He did finish in 2000
    and, when I saw him last (May 2001), he was great. That was soooo long ago now.
    Peace.

Big Bear
    AT '93
    PCT '96
    Well, If'n you hiked outta Monson with Sharkbait,
    and I hiked outta Monson with Sharkbait...
    Stands to reason we hiked together a bit, lol.

I know it was a pretty decent sized group for a bit we were with when we finally left Shaw's. I believe I was mainly with a husband and wife pair of nurses as well as a retired parliamentary official from Australia the week immediately out of Monson. He and I ended up hiking partners for a good six weeks around central maine and into Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Yes he was. In the Barefoot sister's stories, he got hit by a car while standing in a phone booth. Thats what tore up his legs, all the broken glass.
    Bit worse than that- there was a guardrail behind the phone booth.
    Was a VW bus I believe and the bumper and guardrail had a makeout session his legs couldn't manage to avoid.

Images

I knew him. And I recognize the ATC picture. I recall he was hit by a car while in a phone booth. At least that was one of his stories.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

He was mentioned in the book Southbound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++