WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default southwestern virginia

I'm planning my next section, and my mileage guesses have me finishing about 40 miles north of Pearisburg. I would like to leave a car where I will finish, but Awol's book only indicates parking at VA 635 (which is too far south for the time I have to hike), and not again until Dragon's Tooth (which may be pushing it). I see several road crossings between the two, but they don't indicate that there is parking at any of them. If you are familiar with any of these crossings, can you tell me if there is anywhere to park nearby and the relative safety of leaving my car in that location?

1. VA 632
    2. VA 601 (gravel road near Rocky Gap)
    3. VA 42
    4. VA 630
    5. VA 621 (Craig Creek Rd)

Anything you can tell me about any of these road crossings would be very helpful with my planning. Thanks!
    -tagg

I used google earth to look for potentual parking lots.

1. 632 - NO
    2. 601 - maybe, looks to be a spot for a single car from a picture someone upload.
    3. 42 - maybe, there is a church near-by where you might be able to park if you ask nicely (and make a donation)
    4. 630 - NO, you cross a farmers field there.
    5. 621, couldn't find it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Try this: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org

Everything you need to know about AT parking and trail access.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

VA 42 has some parking spaces; I've seen cars parked there every time I've been. Very rural, but in the open with farms nearby. I'd be willing to leave MY car there, but YMMV with regards to safety.

That's a nice section.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have not been to VA 632 or VA 601 crossings.

VA 42- been there 2 times. There is no parking at all, but I was picking up hikers.. Chin music, B- Rocket and Astro. Slo is correct about a church being close by.

VA 630- been there 1 time. Hiked to my car there- ending a 10 mile day hike. There is parking spaces but limited. Couldn't believe how close a house was to that grassy parking area. I had no problems.

VA 621- Good parking. Been there many times.

Have a great hike... you'll love it!

PS. Couldn't find where the trail goes after it crosses the road on VA 42. Chin and B-Rocket were waiting for me on the road... never saw the trail. I did see the trail on the side of the road Astro was hiking. I need to find it by the time Astro has me shuttle him back there this year.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 02-17-2014 at 16:50. Reason: PS....

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I have not been to VA 632 or VA 601 crossings.

VA 42- been there 2 times. There is no parking at all, but I was picking up hikers.. Chin music, B- Rocket and Astro. Slo is correct about a church being close by.

VA 630- been there 1 time. Hiked to my car there- ending a 10 mile day hike. There is parking spaces but limited. Couldn't believe how close a house was to that grassy parking area. I had no problems.

VA 621- Good parking. Been there many times.

Have a great hike... you'll love it!

PS. Couldn't find where the trail goes after it crosses the road on VA 42. Chin and B-Rocket were waiting for me on the road... never saw the trail. I did see the trail on the side of the road Astro was hiking. I need to find it by the time Astro has me shuttle him back there this year.
    Thanks HM and the rest of y'all, this was very helpful. A friend of mine who recently moved to Roanoke offered to drive around and look at each of them, but I figured someone on here would know and could save her the time. Thanks again!
    -tagg

The trail crosses VA 42 in at least 2 spots, one is a bit north of Atkins, maybe that's where Big Cranky was thinking of.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

You could park at the Four Pines Hostel. They will shuttle you to Pearisburg and then you can walk back. Might be a little further as they are just north of Dragon's Tooth, but you could hitch from the road crossing ( I forget the #) south of Dragon's Tooth back to Four Pines.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    You could park at the Four Pines Hostel. They will shuttle you to Pearisburg and then you can walk back. Might be a little further as they are just north of Dragon's Tooth, but you could hitch from the road crossing ( I forget the #) south of Dragon's Tooth back to Four Pines.
    That would be VA 624 Newport Rd.

Glad we could be helpful, Tagg! :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I used google earth to look for potentual parking lots.

1. 632 - NO
    2. 601 - maybe, looks to be a spot for a single car from a picture someone upload.
    3. 42 - maybe, there is a church near-by where you might be able to park if you ask nicely (and make a donation)
    4. 630 - NO, you cross a farmers field there.
    5. 621, couldn't find it.
    No parking at the church. Some hikers from years past made sure to keep the rest of us from parking/camping there.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

I know maps aren't always 100% accurate, and things do change, but I'm looking at the ATC Map #4 and it indicates there is parking on all the roads you listed except Route 42 (near Huffman). Although it doesn't show parking at Rt.42, but the trail crossing at 630 is only about a mile down the road and the Map has a big ole P next to that one. I have the map handy because I'm thinking about what to do for a week vacation this spring and I'm kind of leaning toward doing a section in the same area, or maybe a section near Catawba. Anyway, hope this helps.

Images

Huh, I have a photo of my daughter in the car when she dropped me off at VA 42 near Newport, just west of Blacksburg. There were several cars parked in a little turnoff at the trail crossing. It's not large, and it's sure not a "parking area," but there were cars there.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo View Post
    I know maps aren't always 100% accurate, and things do change, but I'm looking at the ATC Map #4 and it indicates there is parking on all the roads you listed except Route 42 (near Huffman). Although it doesn't show parking at Rt.42, but the trail crossing at 630 is only about a mile down the road and the Map has a big ole P next to that one. I have the map handy because I'm thinking about what to do for a week vacation this spring and I'm kind of leaning toward doing a section in the same area, or maybe a section near Catawba. Anyway, hope this helps.
    There's not a parking lot on 42, just enough shoulder to pull off on. I wouldn't leave a car there. Go up to 630. A buddy left his whole pack there by accident one night. I found out when I got home and drove all the way back to find that someone had picked it up and set it out of the way leaning against the fence. It's a pretty safe place to park.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Dont miss Woods Hole.............Dismal Falls was also great

don't miss Home Place restaurant and home cooking!

At the risk of hijacking the thread, Del Q you mention Dismal falls, the campsite that is accessed off of the AT?? I am trying to shoot for a place to stop after Woods Hole that is not Wapiti.

++ New Posts ++