WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ConTENTplations

Default ConTENTplations

I'm looking for a lightweight, reasonably priced, user friendly, and durable tent for myself, my gear, and my dog. (Maybe even be able to squeeze in a second person in a pinch. I have a friend who's going to graduate school in Virginia and I'd love to be able to include her in some weekend hikes on the AT.)

Tarptents: I like the versatility of transitioning the tent for winter usage. I don't like how it looks. Seems unwieldy.
    Tarptent Stratospire: http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html#
    Tarptent Rainbow: http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Six Moon Designs: I like the price and the weights. However... these tents would just be for myself and my dog.
    SMD Lunar Solo: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html
    SMD Lunar Solo LE: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/...r-solo-le.html

LightHeart Gear: I love how they look... seem polished and not like they were made in someone's garage. But they're more expensive than SMD. The last one seems to have enough room for two people.
    LightHeart Solo Standard: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....products_id=15
    LightHeart Solo Wedge: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....products_id=16
    LightHeart Solong: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....products_id=42

I appreciate any advice or knowledge you could share about these products.

(Secondary question... I'm viewing this website on my phone. After posting all these links I realized I might need to manually imbed them for the people who are viewing this site from desktops. What's the code?)

Thanks!

Images

i'm on a laptop, all is fine. can't help though. never owned a tent.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i'm on a laptop, all is fine. can't help though. never owned a tent.
    ... Hammocks?

I like the idea of hammocks, but I worry about where my dog would sleep.

I use a Tarptent Double Rainbow. Room for two, palace for one + dog. I like being able to keep my pack inside with me.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    ... Hammocks?

I like the idea of hammocks, but I worry about where my dog would sleep.
    On the ground under you?

Images

Hammocks tend to be a little heavier when you add up everything you need to keep warm. Also if you ever plan to stay in a shelter, you will need a pad anyway. They work great for some, not so much for others. I toss and turn to much for a hammock. I know people that will never go to ground again, so don't dismiss them till you try. I can see a significant disadvantage with a dog.

I have the solong 6 and it is about perfect for me. It is more than big enough for you and a dog, in fact depending on the size of you and the dog, it is big enough for you, a dog, and another person in a pinch.

I have nothing bad to say about Tarptent, I own a rainshadow II and it's a quality product and works well for me and my kids. The Lightheart has better protection from bad weather, and has more ventilation options when the weather is good. I have not used either of the Tarptents you are looking at.

I have never heard anything bad about SMD, but have not used them.

Garlic
    Images

Those are all good choices for a thru hike. In my personal experience, Tarptent has been excellent in design, quality, price, and customer service. You'll have to make a decision based on what features you'd like to have. Some hikers really want side entry, for instance, and that doesn't matter at all for me. You might not get it perfectly right the first time--that's why most of us have at least two tents. If there were one single perfect tent, there would only be one tent sold. Good luck in your choice and especially in your hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'm trying to decide in same.,,similar situation. Mostly solo hiker w small dog jrt. My don is 7 and plan to start taking him. I'm leaning towords the one of the lHG tents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typo
    Same
    Son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

i bought the solong6 in the summer, have used it 20 nights, and plan on bringing it on my hike this year. i got one with a single awning. the tent has space enough for two,although a bit tight, and spacious for one. kept me dry in some crazy t storms in maine with the wind blowing the rain sideways. the awning gives you the option of keeping your gear right outside the tent, or inside, plenty of room for gear,dog and human.side vestibules an added plus.

All sound good. I have a list of eligible bachelors if price as concern.

I own a Tarptent II for the wife, youngest son and dog (older son and myself hammock). I love the tent: extremely versatile (tarp alone/ bug net alone or together), cozy when cool, ventilates well when warm, extremely spacious protected space (huge vestibule x 2 for packs and boots), impressive size/weight ration. The geometry of the tent strikes my eye as art. Set-up is super speedy. Entry/Egress is easy. I struggled with which Tarptent to choose- initially considered Cloudburst 3 then Double Rainbow. I had a bit of anxiety between placing the order and finally receiving the tent; "Did I choose correctly?" I have since seen a Double Rainbow in person and am very happy I chose the Stratospire II.

Sorry, I have no experience with the other tents you mentioned with which to compare. Perhaps they will be a better choice for you but, I don't think you could be dissappointed with a Stratospire.

Good Luck

I love my solong6. Big enough for a dog or another person. Small enough to not seem huge by myself. Double doors and the awning is awesome. It also opens up for great ventilation and views if it's not raining.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    All sound good. I have a list of eligible bachelors if price as concern.
    What's this? Spare tents laying around?

I've narrowed it down to two.

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

LightHeart Gear Solong 6: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....products_id=42

Solong is about half a pound heavier but 4 square feet larger and has two small vestibules. Those 4 square feet means two people can squeak in.

I'm leaning towards the Solong... but is it worth the extra weight and $83 higher price tag?

I've never carried anything heavier than lunch on a hike. How much will half a pound matter?

Images

I've never carried anything heavier than lunch on a hike. How much will half a pound matter?
    A half a pound equals a cup of water. While weight is important, you need to keep it in perspective. No reason to carry the extra weight just to carry it, but you need the extra room, there is no reason not to carry it.

Images

With your criteria in mind and considering the Lightheart SoLong, why not the Duo? It'll have the same issues of the Solong when compared to the Lunar Solo. But it is an actual 2 person tent, leaving plenty of room for you, your dog and a possible friend... maybe even room for a bar
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Garlic
    Images

...How much will half a pound matter?
    That's a huge question. You can tell those who think it doesn't matter--their packs are heavy. If you save ounces, pounds will drop off. The average packing list has about 60 line items. An ounce or two on each item means over five pounds, and that starts to matter. One way to tell if half a pound matters--fill a water bottle with enough water to weigh half a pound and carry it in your hand all day, everywhere.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire
    The weight of the SoLong 6 is now a little bit higher, The website is getting a facelift very soon and new info posted. I am using a slightly heavier mesh as the super lightweight stuff just wan't holding up to use, and a slightly larger fly and even better fabric - it's rated over 4000mmHH - and, it's not slick and slippery like the old silnylon. All of this brought the weight up to 2 lb 2 oz after seam sealing. I think you will be better off in the SoLong than the Duo - it's got more head room, foot room etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    With your criteria in mind and considering the Lightheart SoLong, why not the Duo? It'll have the same issues of the Solong when compared to the Lunar Solo. But it is an actual 2 person tent, leaving plenty of room for you, your dog and a possible friend... maybe even room for a bar
    That's what I had started thinking. But I talked to Judy from LightHeart Gear and she suggested the Solong instead since it has sturdier netting and is still large enough for two people and a dog.

I also like the look of the Solong more... it has a more appealing shape and color choice.

Half a pound is not an insignificant amount of weight. Having assembled a "modern" kit over the past year, I'll say that it is much easier to keep base weight low before you own a bunch of gear rather than realizing later that the total is too high and then figuring out how to cut ounces. People regularly pay $20 or more per ounce of weight savings in gear swaps. While I'm happy with my gear overall, if I could do it over again, my base weight would probably be a couple of pounds lighter. Does that matter? It would to me but there are plenty of people (actually the majority) who are perfectly happy without the lightest gear.

On on the subject of shelters, one piece of gear that I absolutely would buy again is the zpacks Hexamid Twin. I suffered from sticker shock initially but it was worth it for me. Plenty of room for a solo hiker and all gear, a dog if I had one, and another person if on friendly terms.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++