WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Virginia in March

Hi all!
    I'm hoping to do a section of the AT during my spring break (march 1st-6th). I was interested in doing the Damascus - Marion section. Can anyone advise me about the weather during this time of year? I have three season gear and I'm a bit worried about snow. I'd appreciate any advice.

Images

March is a strange month in VA. The temps are all over the place. It can be as high as the 80s during the day or it can be in the 20s or lower at night.

I would say averages in that area for march are 50s in the day and 30s at night.

If you look at the Accuweather extended forecast, they say the average temperature for Damascus the first week of March is high of 48-50, low of 26-27. Subtract 3 degrees for each 1000' elevation. Their long range forecast, fwiw, is somewhat higher than normal, but I wouldn't put too much faith in that at this point.

This has been a weird winter this year - we have went from 70 degree's to low 30's and snow in 24 hours. I would be prepared for Cold!

Check out the 10 day forecast when you get close. Be prepared for any type of weather in March. Crossing fingers it will be good weather for ya.

In March all bets are off. Plan for the worse, hope for the best.

Images

Having lived here for almost my entire life I can tell you be prepared for just about anything. As it was said above it can be 18 to 80, sunny to sleet to rain in March in Virginia. We have a saying around here- Don't like the weather? Just wait a minute it'll change.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Don't like the weather? Just wait a minute it'll change.
    We have the same saying here in MA. Now I want to know what other states use this saying!

I've probably seen it attributed to ten states over the years. Wouldn't be surprised if it's almost all of them.

Journal Entries

It's always better to be prepared for the weather than caught unawares. With the winter we've had, I'm taking my warmest gear my march 9-19th section of Virginia. There are ways to take your three season setup and add some extra warmth at a *relatively* low cost. Look into adding either or all of a (a) sleeping bag liner (sea to summit makes one that supposedly adds 25 degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag for 65 dollars-ish) (b) space blanket (the cheapest, lightest, but least warm option Sol makes them for around ten bucks) (c) a cut-to-size fleece blanket. an extra baselayer (depending on your wallet and what you already use, I recommend under armour 2.0 layer or simple silk.) Hand and foot warmers are also always helpful, and if you cut a few holes in a cheap bandana or fleece scraps and safety pin it to a hat, you can fashion a low cost yet still pretty effective balacava.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    If you look at the Accuweather extended forecast, they say the average temperature for Damascus the first week of March is high of 48-50, low of 26-27. Subtract 3 degrees for each 1000' elevation. Their long range forecast, fwiw, is somewhat higher than normal, but I wouldn't put too much faith in that at this point.
    I always laugh at the Accuweather forecasts. Info on that site is good for about 36 hours and then it's more optimistic than a politicians economic forecast.

When I hiked the 170 miles north of the Smokies during that time a few years ago we had a couple of days with freezing rain, lows below freezing, and some days that were beautiful and mid 50s. You'll be a lot further north but also at a lower elevation for the most part. Not only is it colder at higher elevations but it's also a lot colder in the woods than it is in town. I usually take the forecasted low and subtract 10 degrees before factoring in elevation.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    March is a strange month in VA. The temps are all over the place. It can be as high as the 80s during the day or it can be in the 20s or lower at night.

I would say averages in that area for march are 50s in the day and 30s at night.
    The weather in general can be strange, I remember one year the high for the year was 92 degrees 12 miles from Damascus....in February, didn't get out of the 80's all that summer. Normally the weather should be great in March but you just never know, this past spring the end of March had heavy snow, high winds and temps down into the single digits some nights. All you can do is check the forcast the day before heading out.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hiking in March through early May, prepare for everything.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The elevation is high enough and you are early enough that you should still have your winter gear.-Wing wing

For what it's worth, last lat April to mid-May from Waynesboro to Daleville I experienced colder weather than I was expecting: only maybe three days felt like mid-spring. Daytime temps were in the 50s, with nights often dipping into the 30s and as low as 34 degrees. This year as I continue south I'm planning accordingly, as I hate to get chilled. Probably that'll mean balmy weather for us all.

Images

Mt. Rogers in late April 2012.

SWVA 028.jpg

It warmed up pretty quick after that though.

March 1st to 6th has come and gone. Wonder if the OP made the trip? Wasn't there a pretty good snow/ice/rain storm in those parts during that period?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    March 1st to 6th has come and gone. Wonder if the OP made the trip? Wasn't there a pretty good snow/ice/rain storm in those parts during that period?
    DC and NOVA got hammered again on March 3rd and 4th. I was delayed flying up by a day because of Cx flights. So yes, if the Op was out walking he most likely drew some interesting weather.

++ New Posts ++