WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

:banana Please support my hike and get a $100.00 gift card!

Hey everyone, want a $100 REI gift card? I know backpacking is an expensive lifestyle. I'm working on figuring out how to fund my hike this summer. Luckily, I work for REI, and for everyone who signs up for a visa with them, I get a sizable bonus, and you get $100.00 gift card to buy new gear, plus 5% dividend/cash back on in store purchases, 1% everywhere else, for no sign up fee, and no annual fee. It's perfect for gear loves, and you'd really be helping me out. All you have to do is apply and put in my employee referral code. I'd really appreciate the help.

APPLY HERE:
    https://applications.usbank.com/oad/...urceCode=50077

EMPLOYEE REFERRAL CODE: 131650

Thanks and happy trails,
    -Alpine Bomber

Journal Entries
    Images

Hate to be negitive. But Yogi Bear is now on line.

Journal Entries

You can be negative all you want . I'm not asking for people's money, I'm just trying to figure out a way to do what I love. There are worse things.

Interesting. Usually these offers require a certain amount of spending in the first few months to get the free money... Your link only has details about the card, nothing about the offer or how to sign up.

I'd consider it if the $100 is really just for signing up, but that's never the case in my experience.

Images

Actually, I believe you also have to be an REI member, which if you aren't already will cost you an additional $20 (lifetime). The $100 gift card arrives in 6 to 8 weeks after you use the card for a purchase (anywhere) the first time, which you MUST do within 60 days of receiving the card.

It actually isn't a bad deal for REI members as you get an additional 5% back on your member refund every year on REI purchases (1% on everything else). Similar to the LLBean CC which issues coupons instead.

Whether or not WB is the proper place to cold call solicit such an offer, which is more usually done when people are already engaged in a purchase with an REI salesperson, is a different question.

Journal Entries

for what it's worth I have an REI visa and it's a no brainier. use it for purchases and get free gear every march. that said, us bank is a brutal company to deal with , and any type of groveling is met with derision around this forum. folks here made pretty big sacrifices to make their hike happen and they sometimes take offense. I give u some advice, if you really want to Fund your hike, get a part time job and put all that aside. save10% of your income for the hike. you only need a few grand. also some people get fired and collect unemployment. or you can be like me and many others here and spend a few decades earning , raising a family , working your tail off so u can retire early and hike the trail, God willing.
    that said, Rei visa is a great deal, even if their products are way over priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

we are always saying work for the money, find away to make extra. i think this is great. it's her job and she can make a little bonus. best of luck with this and your hike
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    we are always saying work for the money, find away to make extra. i think this is great. it's her job and she can make a little bonus. best of luck with this and your hike
    I'll agree... Just need some more info in here before I'm totally comfortable. Then again, anyone who signs up for credit cards without reading the fine print has it coming to them anyway.

Journal Entries

Thank you all, even for just talking about it. I will not dispute world bank is a pain in the butt to deal with, and you do need to use the card once to get the hundred dollars, sorry to have left that part out. But, to be fair, you can use it that once to buy a cliff bar and then never use the card again. If you shop at REI a lot, it's a great deal, and if not, use it that once, get the gift card, and then don't worry about it ever again. Still a sweet deal. As for whether or not WB is the appropriate place to put this, I did consider that. My conclusion was that WB was a community of people who would actually benefit from this too since REI is where many of you already shop. I completely understand that many people don't want another credit card, or don't even want one credit card. But knowing about it doesn't hurt, and it's the only way I'll be seeing any real white blazes this summer. Thanks again.

Thanks, I'm gonna talk to the wife and possibly so this. If I do I will certainly enter your code.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I have a REI card that I picked up during one of these promotions. It mostly goes unused but comes out for the 20% off Sale a couple times a year. I'm about ready for another one of those.

Anyway, I never regretted it.

In this instance she's not 'working' to fund her hike. She's willing to sell others the temptation of financial servitude to US bank to get what she wants. Sounds like networking for the 1%'ers to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Morocco View Post
    I have a REI card that I picked up during one of these promotions. It mostly goes unused but comes out for the 20% off Sale a couple times a year. I'm about ready for another one of those.

Anyway, I never regretted it.
    Your next 20% off should come out March 18, and winter clearance is currently going on.

Default Please support my hike and get a $100.00 gift card!

Come on. This is a great idea. The corporation is going to try and give you a credit card every time you shop there anyway. Help a fellow hiker out and get a benefit in return. Sounds like sour grapes cause you didn't think of it. Better yet get the card and never pay for it. That will show them!

Quote Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
    In this instance she's not 'working' to fund her hike. She's willing to sell others the temptation of financial servitude to US bank to get what she wants. Sounds like networking for the 1%'ers to me.
    Oh good gawd. Its a frickin credit card. Which everyone should have at least one anyway. Plus you get a hundred bucks. She gets a little something too. Big deal.

I got the deal last year. Picked up the $129 Jet Boil on sale for $89 and "paid" for it with the $100 gift card.

Quote Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
    C'mon... The servitude comes when you don't know how to handle being given credit, not from the credit itself. If I do this I'll buy a cheap item I planned on buying anyway, pay it off immediately, then shred the card. I've done it countless times with other businesses. They're willing to give me the $100 because they know some sorry sucker is gonna go nuts with his card and end up in the servitude you mention... If that's you then that's your problem, not Alpine Bomber's.

Alpine Bomber sent me a friendly message (thanks AB) reminding me of the interest rating, to help me avoid that scenario as well. Sounds like he (or she) just wants to earn an honest buck while getting us some free cash... Quit whining.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I think all thru-hikers should jump on this and support REI considering how much they support us. Just think of all the refunds they give to hikers that quit, finish or just wear out their gear and return it. That's gotta be worth something.

All kidding aside the REI/Visa program is a good deal.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    ...If I do this I'll buy a cheap item I planned on buying anyway, pay it off immediately, then shred the card. ....
    Just a quick note: not sure if it is still this way but used to be that the Credit Card available limit still shows up in your credit reporting until you get the account cancelled completely. While it may not be important to many, if someone goes for a mortgage, etc, the credit evaluation (whether you get your mortgage or not) is based on your total available credit line from all credit cards etc whether they have been used or not. Not saying this isn't a good deal, just cover all your bases.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++