WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Good idea Bomber. This is using your REI job in a smart way!!
    Already got my REI Visa. Had it within a week. Had my $100 gift card within 2 weeks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
    In this instance she's not 'working' to fund her hike. She's willing to sell others the temptation of financial servitude to US bank to get what she wants. Sounds like networking for the 1%'ers to me.
    At least her post had to do with hiking the AT, unlike yours which has to do with politics. How about we stay away from politics.

Notice how these promotions work. You don't get the $100, nor the 5% cash back unless you actually use the card. REI is betting you'll spend much more than $100 with the card because you're obviously a sucker for promotions (which they're famous for) - USBank is betting few people will pay off their balance every month (statistics prove them right) and 90% of those will be saddled with 22.99% interest (a few will qualify for 10.99% because they don't really need credit anyway).

LOL
    CC companies and REI make these offers because they know for certain that X % of cards they issue will result in spending beyond means and interest being paid by the borrower.
    It's a mathematical certainty.
    As such, OP is saying that she's ok with putting some members here at risk. And she is def seeking to network here on behalf of a large financial institution.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    C'mon... The servitude comes when you don't know how to handle being given credit, not from the credit itself. If I do this I'll buy a cheap item I planned on buying anyway, pay it off immediately, then shred the card. I've done it countless times with other businesses. They're willing to give me the $100 because they know some sorry sucker is gonna go nuts with his card and end up in the servitude you mention... If that's you then that's your problem, not Alpine Bomber's.

Alpine Bomber sent me a friendly message (thanks AB) reminding me of the interest rating, to help me avoid that scenario as well. Sounds like he (or she) just wants to earn an honest buck while getting us some free cash... Quit whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
    LOL
    CC companies and REI make these offers because they know for certain that X % of cards they issue will result in spending beyond means and interest being paid by the borrower.
    It's a mathematical certainty.
    As such, OP is saying that she's ok with putting some members here at risk. And she is def seeking to network here on behalf of a large financial institution.
    Again, if you're one of those at risk then this thread is the least of your problems. Go fight the system somewhere else.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Again, if you're one of those at risk then this thread is the least of your problems. Go fight the system somewhere else.
    Can we have a big Amen!

The OP is not putting anyone at risk. Applying for the card is ones choice. Your arm is not being twisted. For some it will work and for others it will not.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Can we have a big Amen!
    Here it is. AMEN!!!!

Section Hiker

When I first saw your post headline, I thought here's another lazy wannabe thru-hiker looking for a free handout. But, not only do you have a job, but sought to creatively supplement your earnings, as well as help a few White Blazers see what a good deal signing up for the card may be. So in the end, I'm okay with your post, and I'll go ahead and sign up for the card using your number. Have a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries

Thanks for the support everyone! Just to clarify, credit cards come with risk. If you feel that your financial situation would be poorly impacted by applying for this card, please don't apply. It's not worth hurting your credit to get a gift card, a higher dividend, or to help me out. Remember, if you do apply, this is a card that must be paid off every month. 22% is no joke, and they will not let you off the hook. Gervias, I should have included such a disclaimer when I posted this, thank you for correcting that oversight. Everyone else, I sincerely appreciate the support, and hope to see you all on the trail this summer!

I'm not sure if white blaze is the best place to advertise credit card promotions. I love REI and the store and employees rock.. Just my opinion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbclimbin View Post
    I'm not sure if white blaze is the best place to advertise credit card promotions. I love REI and the store and employees rock.. Just my opinion.
    I agree with this too.

At least it's a refreshing twist to the "GoFundMe" campaigns, I'm finally debt free so I'll pass on this offer but best of luck.

Since I have always paid cash for everything I own and have always been 100% debt free, they wouldn't give me the card even if I wanted one, since I have no credit history. I tried once just to see what would happen and that's what I was told. One of those catch 22 type of things. I suggest everyone cut up what ever credit cards you have, pay off the balance and don't look back. Stop making the rich richer and think of what you could do with all that interest you have been paying to those thiefs.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Is there a single AT thru hiker that actually works to save for their vacation! Between badger and this, enough is enough.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Since I have always paid cash for everything I own and have always been 100% debt free, they wouldn't give me the card even if I wanted one, since I have no credit history. I tried once just to see what would happen and that's what I was told. One of those catch 22 type of things. I suggest everyone cut up what ever credit cards you have, pay off the balance and don't look back. Stop making the rich richer and think of what you could do with all that interest you have been paying to those thiefs.
    I signed up for a free (first year) Chase Sapphire card last summer to get 40,000 airline miles (1:1 transferable to number of airline programs). I pay my balance in full and will gladly accept the two round trip tickets they are giving me. REI's deal is good, but there are even better deals out there.

Personally I am more shocked than an REI employee is contemplating a Thru-hike

Good for you; If this works and you worked for me I'd promote you to marketing- at least you are providing value and working, not just mooching.

Never be afraid of credit, that's the way the game is played. If you really want to stick it to the man; sign up for every deal like this you see. I make about $1000 a year signing up for checking accounts, card bonus's like this and other deals. Got one from TCF bank last month- $200 for putting $60 a month in for three months- well over 100% R.O.I.

In retail it's called a loss leader- give something away in hope of making money on something else. Take the giveaway and refuse the something else. Read the fine print, but most deals aren't as full of catches as you think- especially with recent credit card reforms. My credit score is in the high 700's. As Slo said- gotta use credit to get credit- comes in handy once you have it. No harder than scoring a hot dog at a hiker feed, with no risk of catching Norovirus.

FYI- it's not debt if you pay off the card when the bill comes- it's just a delayed cash transfer.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 02-16-2014 at 23:48.

Wish you the best Alpine Bomber. You handled yourself well.

Good info overall, but actually JB, I thru-hiked much of the PCT with a member of the Board Directors for REI and another who was an Asst Store Mngr. I also have met some 5-6 REI Associates that have thru-hiked either the AT or PCT or both and a few more that have thru-hiked other trail(Long Tr, Colorado Tr, Arizona Tr). Some REI stores have a very outdoorsy accomplished staff.

Quote Originally Posted by tf bear View Post
    Come on. This is a great idea. The corporation is going to try and give you a credit card every time you shop there anyway. Help a fellow hiker out and get a benefit in return. Sounds like sour grapes cause you didn't think of it. Better yet get the card and never pay for it. That will show them!
    ..............+1^
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Alpine, sorry for the negitivity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++