WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What are excellent AT camp shoes ??

What are excellent AT camp shoes ??

I'm still with knock-off-brand crocs. I keep toying with other things - moccasin slippers, Sanuks, flip flops ... but always come back to the crocs.

I'm liking the Cushe "Slipper": http://www.cushe.com/US/en-US/Produc...r?dimensions=0 Nice and light, much lighter than crocs and quite comfy

Images

Knock off crocs. Way cheaper than either of above option and with heel strap are great for water crossings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

From what I've seen, pink crocs are pretty awesome.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Agree. Love mine. I don't hink you will find anything lighter that also offers as much protection and utility. They did sell them without the liner, but I don't see them on the site anymore.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    From what I've seen, pink crocs are pretty awesome.
    Yep, I think I look pretty awesome in them (although I need a shampoo):

kerosene_at_end_of_hike-med.jpg
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Yep, I think I look pretty awesome in them (although I need a shampoo):

kerosene_at_end_of_hike-med.jpg
    I love it Kerosene!! Who knew? Yipee!! Coach Lou will be sooo happy!

PS.. I wear crocs too.. mine are deep purple.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 02-12-2014 at 11:24. Reason: I forgot to say...

I too have tried many different camp shoes and always go back to Croc's, be sure to buy them with the back strap or you'll slide out of them when wet. Perfect for camp and occasional crossings, they're a nice respite from your hiking shoe when going down to the spring, and in a pinch you can hike in them.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

I got my vivos on sale. Excellent camp and water shoe. I wear 3mm diver socks with them when it's really cold and wet.
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Images

Excellent camp shoes are, eh, your regular hiking shoes, shoe laces completely loose and the foot beds removed to afford tons of extra space/volume (plus to air out the foot beds). No extra weight, plenty comfortable. I might suggest that if your regular hiking boots/shoes are not comfortable enough for camp (again, loosened, foot beds removed), you should look for different/more comfortable hiking shoes. Just my own M.O. I tried the generic crocs thing, sure they are comfortable, but not really much more than my regular hiking shoes, so the extra 11 ounces just weren't worth it.

"Camp shoes" were almost a requirement when we wore heavy leather boots, but for those that have switched to trail runners it is more of a "personal preference" type item.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Excellent camp shoes are, eh, your regular hiking shoes, shoe laces completely loose and the foot beds removed to afford tons of extra space/volume (plus to air out the foot beds). No extra weight, plenty comfortable. I might suggest that if your regular hiking boots/shoes are not comfortable enough for camp (again, loosened, foot beds removed), you should look for different/more comfortable hiking shoes. Just my own M.O. I tried the generic crocs thing, sure they are comfortable, but not really much more than my regular hiking shoes, so the extra 11 ounces just weren't worth it.
    I was in this camp for a while, but I'm getting sick of putting my boots on to get out of the sack at night. I want something that slips on and off super easily, even when frozen. I think I'll try some crocs soon.

Journal Entries

What do the vivo's weigh without the liner?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    The ultra comes with the liner, but you can save a few bucks and buy the version without the liner known as the ultra pure.

I would agree that these are perhaps the best. But you can save a lot of money if you look for knock-offs at WalMart. I've found and used croc-knockoffs from WalMart, and about a year ago I found what looks much like a Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure knockoff at WalMart for < $10... that's my current camp/water shoe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    7 ounces each

sent from a samsung galaxy far far away

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Check out the specs for the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure. But I'll warn you that I've learned from experience that the specification only lists the weight of a single shoe, not the pair.

I had purchased a pair of the ultra pure from Zappos... and was disappointed to find that they weighed twice as much as I expected. But the final kicker that made me send them back was the fact that the pair I was shipped were obviously USED!!! Yea, they looked clean, and at first I didn't notice. But it didn't take much to realize there was wear on the bottom of the shoe. Zappos made things right by accepting the shoes back with no cost to me... and they even provided discounts on future purchases.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 02-12-2014 at 12:44.

Images

Mine are the ultra pure. I believe they are the same as the ultra's without the liner.

Mine weigh 3.9 oz each.

Ultra Pure (800x598).jpg

Mentioned this before in other threads. Found a pair of lightweigh Teva sandals (about 10 ounces- size 10) this summer. They were a "retro" model (or anniversary model, can't remember). The sole was lighter than the standard Tevas, but way more durable than a flip-flop footbed. Very nice. Works great for camp shoe, crossing creeks, or other water activities. One may even be able to hike some distances in them if you have tough feet. They look good enough to walk around town in on a zero day, unlike those clown shoes (only kidding).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++