WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hundred Mile Wilderness

I was wondering what some of past Sobo hikers strategy was during the HMW. Did you plan on higher miles the first week and slow down afterwards? Or did you pack more food and keep a steady pace to pace yourself? Looking at the Awol guide it seems relatively flat, but that doesn't always mean an easier hike. I would also like to know what do future 2014's sobo hikers plan on doing?

Many folks are over enthusiastic and crank out to many miles a day and then bonk when they hit whitecap.

In my hiking experience 10 miles is relatively easy, but its not something i do daily. So if plan on 10 miles a day, 2
    lbs of food/day, 20 lbs is heavy. Though that weight does shrink rather quickly.

It is not flat! Especially when your just starting lol.. Lean-to to Lean-to is a good starting strategy.. We started that way. We did 15mi to get to Monson from Long Pond, passing the last two or three Lean-tos but I was pretty desperate to get there and it kicked my ass.

tarantolk, that is my problem, i won't be in super shape, though round is a shape i suppose. I'm planning on lower miles but its helpful to hear what past hikers have gone through. If i plan for the worse scenario, it makes it nice if i'm a few days early.

Take your time, enjoy it & remember to stop before you take your eyes off the ground to check out a view! Those roots have a better chance of getting you then anything else out there!!

The first 30 miles or so south from Abol bridge is "relatively" flat for Maine, but then it gets really serious, with some intense river crossings thrown in to make it interesting. Depending on how much more snow we get and how wet a spring it is, those crossings can be waist to chest high in early June. Better plan on it taking a good 8-9 days to get through there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

even "relatively flat" includes rocks, roots and bog bridges,and not easy to make big miles, especially when you're first starting out. take it easy and enjoy the ride. maine is exquisitely beautiful.

I don't think i will break any speed records. This trip is my escape from the past 19 years of ships, subs, and everything else military. I will stop and enjoy the views as much as possible.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Add possible rain to that, and you're in for some fun!!! I averaged close to 15 mile days in June from Katahdin to Monson. Did 24 miles out of Whitehouse Landing, but that was insane, and only because the shelter we were going to stay at was full, and it was pouring rain. I hate setting up my tent in the rain! Take your time, and take it easy, ended up hiking the last 40 miles on a sprained MCL from a 7 foot fall off a wet rock. 10-15 a day is plenty, and it will get much steeper after the Ironworks road if I remember correctly. Don't listen to the elevation maps, none of the gains are that high, but the trails go straight up and are full of rocks and roots. From an ease perspective I preferred the climbs in Georgia/NC/Tn over the ones in Maine...all that said, I loved hiking the Wilderness!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

If you can arrange a food cache along the way, your pack weight would be drastically lowered & the taxing nature of this section diminished. This was at the end of my hike & I was mainly worried about not hurting myself as I neared the finish line. One root did cause me to a face-plant mere yards from Rainbow Lake Campsite (2159.6M; day 150 of my 152 day thru-hike). Another thru-hiker I know broke his ankle his first day in the 100-mile Wilderness. Watch your footing.

FYI - I took 7 days to get from Monson to The Birches. I summitted Katahdin on the 8th day.

Carl, tough break on that fall, but at least you were able to finish and i'm glad you were not seriously hurt. I think tackling the hmw in the beginning is just as tough as nobo's end, maybe tougher. 7 days for you will be closer to ten as my muscles wont be in as nearly good shape as one who has already hiked 2000 miles. I will aim for 10 mile days and see from there and push farther as it comes safely.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The first 30 miles or so south from Abol bridge is "relatively" flat for Maine, but then it gets really serious, with some intense river crossings thrown in to make it interesting. Depending on how much more snow we get and how wet a spring it is, those crossings can be waist to chest high in early June. Better plan on it taking a good 8-9 days to get through there.
    what he said and expand a lil more-
    Yes the first days are spent sloggin thru swamp and heavy thaws if going mid May-June 30. After Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to the ups and downs increase and is more trail less swamp with every step. The 8th day for me was a nero and zero the 9th and 10th day I planned as I was sick and skinned up from the failed fording footing... needed a good Epsom salt soak

HYOH tho If healthy and trail shape the NOBO's do 4days often in the 100mi and I would assume I could do it too when Katahdin is so close. SOBO not in AT shape and flu/bad allergies taking my time did 10-15miles daily first 6days 27mi 7th day to Leeman Brook and 4mile 8th day hitch into town.

Bugs and bugs and more bugs and deet is just a apéritif to them

My experience last year (third week of June) was that the first half SOBO was relatively easy. Very little "dirt" on the trail, just roots and rocks and bogs, but still "easy". Then the climb over Whitecap and the fords were more difficult. I covered more miles in the first half, then slowed down. I passed lots of people dawdling or unable to make miles in the first half, and wondered what happened to them later. There are plenty of places to camp to mix up the miles, no need to restrict yourself to shelter distances. I only stayed in a shelter the last night - I wanted a quick get-away the last morning. You will get your feet wet or muddy every day. You can resupply if you arrange a food drop, but I didn't. Did it in 7 days/6 nights from Abol Bridge, and I was not fast. The most difficult thing for me is climbing over (or down) the knee-high to chest-high rocks and cliffs on the climbs and descents. I just don't have that kind of flexibility anymore. But that is my take on it, and you will probably have a different experience!

Looking forward to doing it again in July!

Forrest
    Last edited by forrest!; 02-11-2014 at 06:34.

Katahdin will destroy your legs. The ~10 miles downhill out of the park the next day will feel like the longest day ever. I like to stop at Abol Campground for the night and get some rest and hot dogs. The next day after that will be a drag too. I would just suck it up and bring lots of food. If you are running heavy at Gulf Hagas you can probably find a day hiker to give some food to and have then dispose of it. And yeah, Whitecap and Barren-Chairbacks will smack you around some.

Images

My plan for a SOBO includes a two week section near my house to get my trail legs before heading up to Maine. On my sections I find that it takes me a week to get back in trail shape, and I'd rather not do that week in the HMW.

Now I just need to get to that point in my career where I can pull this off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

The profile is a little misleading. It may appear flat, but there are a lot of straight up/downs as mentioned earlier, along with roots and rocks to pick your way around. I agree, the hiking is easier up to Whitecap. Every hiker is different. I went SOBO through it in 98 and it took me 9 days. I went SOBO through it this past year in better shape, older and more experienced, and it took me six days and some change.

I had a food drop half way through. The Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket did this for me for a fee. This made a big difference in pack weight, which was important to me since I was adjusting the first week.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I did it SOBO in 2010. It was one of my favorite sections of the trail. As most everyone said the so called flat of the first half is a little misleading with all of the rocks and roots plus a couple of steep ups. I did it in 8 days and I resupplied at White House Landing.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Don't miss Rainbow Lake Dam or Stream Dam, I can't remember off hand but it's on the way to Rainbow Stream Lean To.. EXCELLENT view of Katahdin. It's worth the extra steps!!

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely wont underestimate the difficulty. I will look at food drop options, but will most likely lug the food the entire distance. The waiting is killing me, june can't come soon enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++