WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smoky Mountains Section Hike

I am considering a Thru Hike in 2017, and thus was a planning a section hike in 2014 to get a feel for the trail and try out some of my equipment. I was thinking about going from Texas (where I live) to Fontana Dam and hiking the first two sections of the AT in Smoky Mountains National Park, and then taking a couple of trails in the park back to Fontana Dam.

However, I have recently read of the problems with reserving a shelter in Smoky Mountains NP. Would you suggest that I skip the NP because of this limitation? Is there another section of the AT that I could access on the Southern end that might be better off for a 4-5 day hike?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions!

Leave your car at Franklin, NC. Get shuttled back to Dick's Creek Gap (Hiawassee, Ga). Hike north to Winding Stair Gap. No need for shelter reservations. You'll see some great mountain tops, beautiful views and variety going around the Standing Indian basin, plus you'll be able to brag about hiking parts of two states. Great introductory to the trail.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Leave your car at Franklin, NC. Get shuttled back to Dick's Creek Gap (Hiawassee, Ga). Hike north to Winding Stair Gap. No need for shelter reservations. You'll see some great mountain tops, beautiful views and variety going around the Standing Indian basin, plus you'll be able to brag about hiking parts of two states. Great introductory to the trail.
    I second this idea. I've done this section and it is very nice. Also, plenty of support services (shuttles and hotels) in the area. Either go right away or wait a few months until the bubble of thrus goes by and you will have a great taste of the trail in the South. The Smokies are nice, but you do need to deal with the shelter reservation system and you don't have the choice of tenting or hammock hanging if you prefer.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

I have not heard of a problem making reservations, nor have I heard of anyone getting in trouble for not perfectly following those reservations. The trail between Double Spring Gap and Tricorner Knob is, in my opinion, the best of the Southern AT. And so you have to sleep in the shelters, they're actually very nice shelters, better than most of the other trail shelter, and the nicest 70 mile stretch of shelters.

I have never had a major problem with reserving shelter space. Some shelters are busier than others but you can reserve 2 months ahead of your anticipated dates. So just pay attention to the backcountry res website and get on there as soon as you know your exact dates. That being said, there are plenty of great places outside of the NP as well.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TimJebsen View Post
    However, I have recently read of the problems with reserving a shelter in Smoky Mountains NP. Would you suggest that I skip the NP because of this limitation?
    IMHO, you've been given a poor impression of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

For thru-hikers, the only problems are that they are limited to camping at the designated shelters and they must pay for a permit online with access to a printer no more than 30 days before they plan to enter the park.

For general hikers (the category your practice hike would fall into), your permit requires a reservation for each campsite you plan to stay at. Of course, if you wait until the last minute to get your reservations, you're more likely to find one of your desired campsite to already be booked. But if you try to get your reservations at the 30 day, you shouldn't have any problems getting the sites you desire.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    ...you can reserve 2 months ahead of your anticipated dates...
    The actual window is 30 days. For example, if you go to the website today to get a General Hiking Permit, you can try to make reservations for the 30 day period of Feb 10th to March 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    This is very helpful - I will investigate this option. Many thanks!

Also, thanks to those who provided some insight into the shelter reservation system at Smoky Mountains NP - I will investigate more details of that option too!!

Can't you make your reservations 30days in advance of your first nite in the shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The actual window is 30 days. For example, if you go to the website today to get a General Hiking Permit, you can try to make reservations for the 30 day period of Feb 10th to March 11th.
    You're right. That's my fault. 30 days is the correct number. I was picturing the two-month calendar that comes up. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    That is not entirely correct. The thirty days applies to the start of the trip. The maximum length of the reservation window is 36 days. For example, if one were to reserve the night of March 11 on Feb 10, the reservation window will be extended by six days, to March 17.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I have not heard of a problem making reservations...
    What, exactly, would constitute "a problem," in your estimation?

For lot of folks, the reservation requirement is a problem, in and of itself.

If you think that no one has ever been unable to get a reservation for their preferred itinerary, I suspect that you just haven't been listening in the right places. Looking in real time, anyone wanting to stay at Icewater Springs on March 7-8 is going to have a problem.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    The thirty days applies to the start of the trip.
    Yes, that's where someone with a 7 night itinerary has a bit of an advantage over someone with a two night itinerary...

So if try to start a reservation today, the GSMNP web site shows Feb 10th thru Mar 11th as available dates to start your trip. If you pick Mar 11th for your 1st day of your hike, dates thru Mar 17th will show as available as you pick your 2nd thru 7th night.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    What, exactly, would constitute "a problem," in your estimation?

For lot of folks, the reservation requirement is a problem, in and of itself.

If you think that no one has ever been unable to get a reservation for their preferred itinerary, I suspect that you just haven't been listening in the right places. Looking in real time, anyone wanting to stay at Icewater Springs on March 7-8 is going to have a problem.
    It took me 4 years to do the Smokies due to the shelter reservations. I just skipped ahead until I decided to just do it in two days and skip the shelters altogether.

For a practice hike go anywhere else. If you've never been on the AT I would start at Springer since GA is tougher than NC and you'll have a big advantage on your thru.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    It took me 4 years to do the Smokies due to the shelter reservations.
    If you are a thru hiker (you start and end your hike 50 miles beyond the borders of the GSMNP), then shelter reservations are not required.

If you are a section hiker, then you just need to avoid the most popular shelters on the most popular nights (think Ice Water Springs on a weekend) and simply make your reservations at that 30 day mark.

GSMNP is beautiful, it'll definitely give you a pretty good idea as to what you're getting yourself into.

Jim,
    I think the tread took an unexpected tangent on you. I spend a lot of time in the GSMNP and agree that it is a great place to hike. Shelter reservations are not as big an issue as it used to be, as they have implemented the online 24/7 self reservation system.

however, your real question is about finding a place to test out your gear and see what hiking the AT is like. for this purpose, I would not recommend the GSMNP. Here is my thinking....

a) you want to test out your gear. In the GSMNP, you will be required to stay at shelters. tenting is not allowed. so the only locatoin you would be able to test your tent would be the night you spent at campsite #113.
    b) you are not allowed to stay anywhere except at the shelters.
    c) there is only 2 exit points (Newfound Gap or Fontana/Davenport) you are committed to getting the full distance between. No options for shortening the lenth of the hike for any reason.
    Here is what I would do......

Find a place where you can hike whatever pace you want, mileage you want, and not be hampered. Find a place that allows you to set up your tent when you want, but also has the convencience of shelters when you want.

I would therefore suggest either hiking
    a) somewhere between Springer and Fontana. I would suggest Hiawassee to Franklin as that is easier logistically, but this doesnt give many exit points until you get near Standing Indian Campground.
    b) somewhere between Hot Springs and Damascus.

Have a great hike, no matter where you decide to go.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    a) you want to test out your gear. In the GSMNP, you will be required to stay at shelters. tenting is not allowed. so the only locatoin you would be able to test your tent would be the night you spent at campsite #113.
    b) you are not allowed to stay anywhere except at the shelters.
    c) there is only 2 exit points (Newfound Gap or Fontana/Davenport) you are committed to getting the full distance between. No options for shortening the lenth of the hike for any reason.
    Ox, you've got me confused here... your description sounds like what would apply for a thru hiker. But the OP is talking about a practice section hike. He wouldn't be able to get a thru hiker permit. As such, he has all sort of loop options available. He'll just have to get general hiking permit (actually permits if the hike is going to take more than 7 days... something easy to do if you want to hike the length of the AT from Fontana to (almost) Davenport, then hike the BMT back.

Images

The Smokies are great, but if I wanted to do a nice section and test my gear, I would hike the 60 mile section south of there -- the "Nantahala" section from Fontana Dam to Winding Stair Gap. This is a great section -- lots of good views, plenty of steep up and down, a good spot for a shower and resupply right in the middle, easy shuttles from one end to the other, and you can camp anywhere.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks to everyone for the advice and assistance.

I have decided that I am going to start at the beginning and do a 70 mile hike from Dicks Creek Gap back to Springer Mountain.

My plan would be to then hike in 2015 from Dicks Creek Gap for another 100+ miles in the summer, then another 100+ miles in 2016 and finally start my hike in 2017 where I left off.

My main problem is that my window of time in 2017 is going to start in early May and end in early September, so I am hoping to knock off enough over the next two summers to complete the remaining AT trail in about 4 months.

So, thanks again for your input - it has really helped me to create a plan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++