WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone else starting the weekend of February 21st-23rd?

I'll be heading down to Springer on the Wednesday before from NJ and plan to start that Friday morning. Anyone else anticipating their start then as well?

Images

I bet many others will be with you on this weekend.....

Quote Originally Posted by akneisser View Post
    I'll be heading down to Springer on the Wednesday before from NJ and plan to start that Friday morning. Anyone else anticipating their start then as well?
    I'll be headed down to the Hiker Hostel on the 22nd, and should be dropped off at Springer on the 23rd. Hope to see you on the trail.

We will be starting at the approach trail on the 24th.

I'm heading up to do a short shakedown section- hike, starting Feb 25th, from Amicalola Falls to Unicoi Gap. Have a great hike!

Being your snow shoes.... it's gonna be a different trail this year for early starters.

I fly into Atlanta on the 20th and plan to start on the 21st.

Isn't there a nice storm hitting the lower Appalachians? Record breaking or something?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Isn't there a nice storm hitting the lower Appalachians? Record breaking or something?
    Maybe not record breaking from what they're forecasting, but heavy snow in northern GA and into GSMNP, probably a foot and more at higher elevations with 25 mph winds. Not really a great time to be hiking in the mountains unless you like being in hole up and survive mode. It's then supposed to turn warmer by Friday and through next week. But if the jet stream troughs keep oscillating and bringing cold air to the south there will be winter storm after winter storm a week to ten days apart for the rest of the winter. "Postholer" may be a popular trail name this year.

Anyone too concerned about the storm hitting Georgia right now, shouldn't be. They are received 3-5 inches of snow, but now it has changed to rain. However, temperatures are suppose to rise into the high 60s, and low 70s within the next week and a half, then remain in the 50-60s the following days (this is ground level temp, so always assume colder with elevation!).

Be sure to add some things to your winter gear list. This will be tough, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by akneisser View Post
    Anyone too concerned about the storm hitting Georgia right now, shouldn't be. They are received 3-5 inches of snow, but now it has changed to rain. However, temperatures are suppose to rise into the high 60s, and low 70s within the next week and a half, then remain in the 50-60s the following days (this is ground level temp, so always assume colder with elevation!).

Be sure to add some things to your winter gear list. This will be tough, but not impossible.
    It's going to be down right miserable for a lot of people judging from some of the gear lists shown here recently. But It's not really Georgia you have to worry about, it's when you get into NC and up at 5,000 - 6,000 feet most of the time where it gets "interesting".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Im at the NOC atm. Started at Springer at 2/2. All I can say is: its cold, its snowy and there are only a handful of nobos on the trail. Don't think because you hiked in the snow a couple of days you will like it out here. Its different to be out in the snow and cold for a couple of days than to live in a freezer all day and night.

Not saying you shouldn't do it. Hell I love it and have a blast out here. But there will be plenty of miserable early nobos out there this year.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGerman View Post
    Im at the NOC atm. Started at Springer at 2/2. All I can say is: its cold, its snowy and there are only a handful of nobos on the trail. Don't think because you hiked in the snow a couple of days you will like it out here. Its different to be out in the snow and cold for a couple of days than to live in a freezer all day and night.

Not saying you shouldn't do it. Hell I love it and have a blast out here. But there will be plenty of miserable early nobos out there this year.

Thanks for the reality check. Stay dry and warm GoodGerman!

Awesome... thanks for checking in and sharing the conditions on the trail in "real time". I saw your pic on the Mountain Crossing FB page. I was like... I "know" him... Keep us informed GoodGerman. We are pullin for ya!

how much snow at NOC right now? Dakota Joe was at sassafras shelter last night, 7 miles north of there

Maybe two inches at the center. I don't know about the higher elevation. I can tell you that the climb down to the NOC in the snow was pretty awkward though.

the climb down from cheoah bald in snow and ice ain't fun either. joe was supposed to go to brown gap shelter today

Yeah, I don't know why he is pushing it today. Very easy to turn your ankle, break a leg or even worse out there in these conditions.

Guess I will catch up with him at the Fontana Hilton anyway.

++ New Posts ++