WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Experience with silnylon tarps/tents in extreme cold

Greetings. Yes, I'm new here. Finding the site very helpful; thanks for all of your contributions. (Anyone know how to put up a profile pic?)

Anyways, quick question:

Is there any problem using silnylon tarps in very cold weather? It's -30 in Alberta right now and I am desperate to try out my new Oware tarp while I have a day off, but don't want to damage it. I'm experienced in camping in winter, just not with lightweight gear. I understand there is some stretch to the material, so wondering if it would compromise the seam sealing if stretched at this temperature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Springs View Post
    Greetings. Yes, I'm new here. Finding the site very helpful; thanks for all of your contributions. (Anyone know how to put up a profile pic?)

Anyways, quick question:

Is there any problem using silnylon tarps in very cold weather? It's -30 in Alberta right now and I am desperate to try out my new Oware tarp while I have a day off, but don't want to damage it. I'm experienced in camping in winter, just not with lightweight gear. I understand there is some stretch to the material, so wondering if it would compromise the seam sealing if stretched at this temperature.

Thanks!
    Here's a sil-nylon tarp being used at -40 F. I haven't ever heard of an issue.

Seriously...why would anybody want to be out in -30 temps?

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Here's a sil-nylon tarp being used at -40 F. I haven't ever heard of an issue.
    Good to know, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Seriously...why would anybody want to be out in -30 temps?
    Cold is a relative thing, haha; you just get used to it. When I was a kid I loved it when the school buses were canceled at 40 below (and not a degree warmer) because it meant a free day to play outside (once I was done chopping wood.)

Well, unless someone tells me otherwise I'm just going to try it out and hope for the best.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Most 'three season' tents are usable four seasons. I haven't had any of mine out in -30 (heck, it's about 35 years since I've been where that kind of weather even happens), but I'd worry more about snow and wind loading than about its ability to handle the temperature.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Thanks for the help everyone. Tarp held up fine, didn't really stretch at all.

Images

Idle curiosity, but what size tarp and how did you pitch it?

Been playing with an 8' x 10' Oware for a while and have been pleased with the construction.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Idle curiosity, but what size tarp and how did you pitch it?
    It's an 8x10. Very happy with the size and with the construction. Glad I didn't get a smaller one. I tried out a half dozen different configurations but my favourite one was a very "storm-worthy" modified half pyramid using two trekking poles spaced at the front and a stick at the back to pull up on the rear interior tie-outs. Tons of room for two people that way and no snow drifting in with most of the tarp staked right to the ground/snow. I bought the Oware specifically because all the pitch options and am liking it so far.

I really love playing with my 8X10 Campmor silnylon tarp. I feel like a kid setting up forts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Springs View Post
    . . . I tried out a half dozen different configurations but my favourite one was a very "storm-worthy" modified half pyramid using two trekking poles spaced at the front and a stick at the back to pull up on the rear interior tie-outs. Tons of room for two people . . .
    Something like this:

Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Something like this:
    Not really. The trekking poles would be on tieouts 2 and 4 (out of 5) in the front and the whole back would be staked to the ground. Then the rear interior tieouts are pulled up by the stick at the back. This creates a slightly lower roof, but a lot more overall room than the method shown. Could sleep 3 if necessary, and lots of room for 2 plus gear (while still being very dry and wind resistant.)

The stretch happens when the shelter is set up in mild/warm temperatures and then the temperature drops several degrees during the night.
    That is why if you re-set the shelter taut just before going to sleep when the temperature has already dropped, you will experience little or no sag.
    If you set up the shelter in cold/freezing temps , the fabric is already stretched .
    BTW, silnylon is not like chewing gum, once it is stretched/relaxed it stop stretching...

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The stretch happens when the shelter is set up in mild/warm temperatures and then the temperature drops several degrees during the night...If you set up the shelter in cold/freezing temps , the fabric is already stretched .
    Good to know, thanks!

++ New Posts ++