WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any flip-floppers out there?

I was looking to start heading to Katahdin from the PA/MD line sometime that last week in March/first week in April. Anyone else out there have similar plans?

-

crappy conditions for that section of the trail at that time

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...where-to-start

The ATC web site has some suggested flip flop itineraries. You seem to suggest what they call the "Head Start", but for starting in MD, they suggest a May head start. For March, they suggest starting further south.

Images

I plan on heading north from Front royal in early April, maybe the 10th, so I'll be at the PA/MD line about 6 days later. Can you clarify what you mean by "crappy conditions" George? I expect plenty of rain. Anything else besides the mud that comes with rain? Cold doesn't bother me at all. I suppose there could be a freak snow shower, again, no issue.

+1 for further explanation. Yes, it will be a chilly start...but no worse than starting in the south at the same time. Yes, there prob will be the occasional snow storm. I did a 100 mile section last year around that same area and encountered a storm that dumped anywhere from 8-12 inches on us. We were fine. I think mostly these "crappy conditions" you refer to have a lot to do with your mind set.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macabe96 View Post
    I was looking to start heading to Katahdin from the PA/MD line sometime that last week in March/first week in April. Anyone else out there have similar plans?
    take your time. the reason it's a bad time is that u will arrive in northern New England possibly too early. mud, snow, black flies will spoil it. I think June 1 might be a better start time from that spot, or flip flop from say damascus . but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Thanks for the info on conditions, I might just delay my start a couple weeks (late in April vs. early April)

I'm planning a mid to late April start from Waynesboro,VA. NOBO, then flopping back to do the SOBO. Seems smart to do the easy sections first then finish the tough sections strong! Besides I live in PA and it works out well to hike for a few weeks then evaluate gear close to home. April in PA. is not pretty, unless it is a nice warm early spring. See you out there, maybe!

Starting north of hotsprings early may to hit trail days ontime then coming back to hotsprings and going south

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

April 1-15 is the best time to start a NOBO from Springer. No "hiking" reason to flip if starting in that time frame.

++ New Posts ++