WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I created a cheat sheet (in Word format) for the northern-most 200 miles of the SHT with mileages between tent sites and major road crossings, as well as other information. I've sent it to three or four WB members upon request over the years and would be happy to send it to you if you send me a PM with your e-mail address.
    I could use that cheat sheet. PM sent. OMO

I hiked most of the trail this fall. It was a fantastic trip and you are sure to have a great time. I have no experience in May but would be happy to share what I learned on my fall hike.

I wore trail runners and personally see no reason for boots. The trail can get a little rocky and root covered but it was in wonderful shape.

I used a jetboil on that tip and I loved it. I resupplied with boxes I dropped on the way up to Otter lake Rd. One at Eagle Ridge resort at Lutsen. It is around a half mile of trail and they did not charge to hold a box. I also left a box at the pincushion &BB about a mile off trail. Again, no charge but they may be closed as he owner has passed away. I went to Silver Bay for a meal and laundry and you could easily resupply there. It seemed closer to the trail than the guide book as listed but Im not sure. I also went into Finland and I thought resupply there would be easy as well. Water was very easy for my trip as there had been a lot of rain. I use squeeze and never carried much water while hiking except when I was considering stopping a dry camp once or twice.

You can read a little about my trip at Trailjournals.com/archie if you are interested

Have a great time on he trail and be sure to visit the store in Two Harbors and support the SHTA if you can. They are an amazing group that does a wonderful job keeping this trail in hiking shape. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about my SHT hike. Mapman was very helpful to me, his advice was a spot on so I would read his post twice! As well as some older ones he has posted.

Dogwood - Thanks for the tips, sounds like it may be wise to rest for a day or shorten our daily mileage. We will channel your advice and gooooooooo with the floooowww.

Archie - I appreciate the response! When you say trail runner's do we mean "hiking shoes"? For example the Northface hedgehogs? Or just running shoes? The JetBoil seems pretty legit and is my top choice at the moment. The resupply and town stop info is excellent and we will check out all options. Thank you.

I mean trail running shoes such as the Brooks Cascadias that I wear. That particular shoe may or may not work for you but that's the type I mean.

Jetboil is a good stove depending on the situation. I usually use Jetboil (SOL AL)or go stoveless. Its not the lightest but not too heavy. Very fast and convenient. I get around 16 to 17 meals from one small canister depending on temp. I only use freezer bag cooking with 2 cups water per meal and only do that 1X per day. I dont boil the water I just get it hot (depending on the meal). Sometimes I only heat 1 c and use 1 c cold. I use alchy some but prefer Jetboil if I use a stove. I like the simplicity and speed of jetboil. There is no clear cut best choice and many folks have strong feelings on stoves. I have no idea why there is so much passion around stoves.

Best of luck planning and hiking!

Arch

Shouldn't be bad for bugs in mid May, not the way this winter is going. If it was an early spring it might get buggy. I hiked Otter lk Rd to Cascade River in one trip in early June and almost got carried away by mosquitos for the first 3 days.

The food drops at GM and Finland sound good. Don't camp in the state parks, too expensive. Woke up to a wolf pack howling 2 mornings in a row at the north end.

I hope the snow melts so I can hike before fishing season starts this year. Trekking poles,rain gear, are recommended. No mountain sized elev gain, but the SHT is not a flat trail!

The most memorable time for me on the SHT was when I was dropped off at the northern terminus. After the van's noise faded away, it was so quiet that it was deafening.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    The most memorable time for me on the SHT was when I was dropped off at the northern terminus. After the van's noise faded away, it was so quiet that it was deafening.
    I had the very same feeling at the Northern end. The remoteness and solitude were spectacular!

Can't wait to be dropped off! Seriously all I can think about lately.

So very nice to relate with folks who are kind. Have a great hike. Don't forget you have the River to River Tr in Illinois that is sometimes ignored.

Howdy there brothers-

I live right about 159th and Harlem- so if you want some help shaking down gear or want to look at some of the gear folks are talking about I can help out, unless you spend much time downtown there may not be many stores to visit round here.

If I go up that far north- I get in a canoe- so can’t help you much with that particular trail but Map Man is a good man for sure. Not to discourage anyone from a trip- but spring- especially coming off this winter may not be the best choice for that trip as first timers. You could keep it closer to home at Kettle Moraine or other sections of the ice age trail. The very nice River to River trail down in Carbondale (six hours from here) and 150 miles long- excellent preview of hiking the average sections of the AT.

That said- it’s also only an overnight train ride or 10 hour drive to the AT. Sweet lord jebus I love the northwoods and feel weird saying this- but if you got the AT in your future well Mid may is a fine time to hop a train to Harpers ferry and head north or south as your heart pleases you. You can walk out your door- hop on the train in Tinley- switch to the Amtrak which leaves around 10 pm, wake up in the morning- have breakfast and get off the train 100 yards from the trail at 11 am local time. Bout $100 or so… cheaper than gas and a pretty neat trick all said and done. You can even swing by ATC headquarters and say hi to Laurie.

Either way you go- I can tell you more about the I&M canal trail if you don’t know it. Right in Channahon and 60 miles long- dead flat- but only real distance in our neck of the woods- and in early spring it’s a good spot to get some practice in. You can do day trips at Swallow Cliff area to strengthen ankles and get a little up and down.

Shoot me a PM if you want some more info- I’ll try to pop back on and give you an e-mail. I’m a busy fella these days but I can make some time for some local boys trying to escape the outdoorsman vortex of chicagoland- best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    That said- it’s also only an overnight train ride or 10 hour drive to the AT. Sweet lord jebus I love the northwoods and feel weird saying this- but if you got the AT in your future well Mid may is a fine time to hop a train to Harpers ferry and head north or south as your heart pleases you.
    From MI, the AT in SHT are almost the exact same distance (by car). I hope to do both.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was one of the first hikers to complete the new 296 mile SHT last October. From the Canadian Border to the gift shop at Jay Cooke State Park. That's the true extent of the trail. It goes along a lakewalk thru Duluth now and continues southwest into Jay Cooke State Park until the omnipresent gorgeous views of Lake Superior are lost forever.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garbanz View Post
    I was one of the first hikers to complete the new 296 mile SHT last October.
    I'm going to have to wait until I retire to notch a thru-hike of this trail, but I might try to knock off a few sections before then. Congrats garbanz.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

map man! Just stumbled on this post yesterday…I'm thru hiking the superiour hiking trail with 3 friends starting August 4…I've bought the trail guide and have spent several hours researching the trail on the internet... looking for the very thing you've created… the "cheat sheet"… I was so excited when I read your Feb. post...any chance I could also get a copy? Thanks Greg

Images

I'm hoping to do some section hiking around the Gooseberry SP area in mid August. Lots of resource available through the Superior Hiking Trail Assn. Good shuttle services for the section hiker. Thanks for all the previous posts here.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

So much thanks to those who contributed to the logistics and recs concerning the Superior Hiking Trail, Mapman especially. Just finished the Border Route Tr and SHT thrus yesterday. Had a fantastic time fishing the entire BRT through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area taking my time (six days) doing the 65 mile route. Wow, was it a mental challenge slowing down that much but the Brook trout, walleye, and Northern Pike fishing w/ a few Smallmouth Bass thrown in was damn good and the scenery top notch with many lakes and overlooks w/ virtually nothing man made visible or audible. Through the BRT I had every gorgeous lakeside campsite to myself every night. Saw not one other BRT thru-hiker and only two BRT section hikers. Likewise, saw not one SHT thru-hiker despite the timing of peak fall colors which changed as I got closer to Lake Superior. It's cooler in the winter inland and warmer in the summer which affects the fall colors as well as the tree diversity. The large healthy white and yellow birch in their fall splendor were impressive as were the Golden Larch. Saw three moose, two black bears, several bald eagles, hawks, owls, loons, umpteen beavers, umpteen Whitetail deer, otters, a red fox, and many birds and heard those Timber Wolves sounds during several nights. Glorious.

The SHT is a well signed well maintained trail well worth considering for a fall hike. The hike through Duluth past Martin Rd onto Jay Cooke SP is well worth doing too. Great hike in an area of nice people two who offered to me a room for the night.

Resupplied in:

Grand Marais(excellent thru-hiking town w/ all the conveniences thru-hikers often seek). Rec the hiker friendly Gunflint Motel which offers efficiencies at a Grand Marais reasonable rate and the Co-Op(GREAT hearty soup on a rainy cold day!)

Finland - stopped into Four Seasons Restaurant and the CoOp when someone offered a ride at the Rec Center. The fresh chicken breast sandwich w/ Jalapeno Cole slaw on the sandwich on a pretzel roll was delish.

Silver Bay, the Twin Lakes Loop takes you a block away from the Library, PO, Zups grocery store, restaurants, and about two blocks from the Mariner Motel.

Two Harbors - stop in at the SHTA and say hello, quite a scenic harbor w a nice short scenic shoreline loop around the lighthouse

Highly rec the SHT spurs to:

Tettegouche SP's new Visitors Center w/ Natural History and Wildlife exhibits w/ a short hike up to Shovel Pt on the impressively constructed wooden steps and the more impressive coastline bluffs shoreline view somewhat reminiscent of Acadia NP in Maine.

Hiking all the way out to the Temperance River mouth at Lake Superior

Visiting the Gooseberry SP Nature/Visitors Center AND definitely the Middle and Lower Falls

Wandering out or near to the Twin Harbors Beach near the Split Rock Lighthouse in Split Rock SP for ico9nic North shore pics of the lighthouse and surrounds. Some of the shoreline SPs have incredibly scenic Lake Superior shoreline for a fee off the SHT proper campsites.

One other rec. If considering a SHT thru-hike or section hike through one of the several scenic SP's the SHT goes through request simple free SP maps from each of those SPs as they are more detailed in some ways than the SHTA maps in the SHTA Guidebook or pocket SHTA map set. For example, I sometimes unexpectedly encountered about 6-8 lean-tos on or very near the SHT that are mainly snowmobile type shelters but could provide emergency shelter that were on the SP maps that were not on the SHTA maps. Cascade Lodge(restaurant, cabins) and Lake County Demonstration Forest also offer trail maps showing various skiing, snomobiling, ATV, and hiking tracks as well as lean-tos that can offer short cuts, alternatives, or added enhanced scenic hiking opps and emergency shelter.

Even though various shuttle services exists I had no issue hitch hiking during the busy fall leaf peeping and beginning hunting seasons from Duluth to Grand Marais and from Grand Marais all the way 50 miles out the Gunflint Tr(It's just a road) to the Magnetic Rock TH(western BRT terminus)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Congrats on completing your hike, Dogwood. I think I might chip away at the SHT for a few years, at least once I finish the Wonderland and JMT trails.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Sounds great. I live about equal distance between the SHT and the AT, so deciding is hard. Unfortunately I get away from work in the fall, so my next opportunity might be June, which might be very buggy on the SHT.

Glad you got to hike the BRT and SHT Dogwood, congrats!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++