WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default foothills hike starting 2-15-14.

Anyone interested in hiking the foothills trail. I already have a shuttle pick up at table rock set up. I hike around a 20 mile a day pace. Some days more some days less. I'm in no rush to finish fast. The shuttle will drop off at ocunee state park and then we can hike back to the vehicles at table rock state park.

Sure wish I'd know about this before I comitted to something else that week. I did this hike December of 2012 and really enjoyed it. One good thing about this hike is it's easy to set up a shuttle if you have two vehicles, an almost straight shot paved road between the trailheads. Have fun.

The weather looks like it will be nice that week. 60s/30s. I'll be hiking it east to west starting a few days after you, maybe we'll cross paths.

Yeah, I hope the weather holds. We should pass at some point I'm sure. Do you think the trail would be busy this time of the year?

Hiked the trail last year first of April. Met only four people on trail. Only two were hiking the entire trail. Great hike, enjoy.

I would think there'd be few hikers this time of year. The views will be great. It's nice to see deep into the forest and get a feel for the lay of the land. I forget how dense the vegetation gets, then after getting into summer it's hard to imagine how bare things look in winter! I hiked different sections several times in November and passed 1-2 people each day, usually day hikers near popular/ easy access areas, sometimes go a whole day without seeing someone in more remote sections. Except the Saturday after thanksgiving around whitewater falls I passed 40+ people in groups of 3-6 and many couples.
    On the last night of one of my hikes i was about 2 hours from oconee and it was almost dark (I like to hike until there's 30min-1 hr of daylight left; I'll start looking for a campsite about 1 hr before sunset) so I was ready to camp at the first decent area I could find to pitch my tarp, which happened to be right in the trail. After trying to fall asleep listening to people playing loud music and yelling off in the distance for several hours (must've been Friday night) I was startled at 11:30 by what sounded like a large animal trudging towards me, then it moved down around the hillside and then moving back up to where I first heard the footsteps. I wasnt expecting night hikers on this trail, especially without headlamps. Turns out it was a two man military team using NVG. I guess they saw me and tried to go around but couldn't do it. I was just relieved to see human legs when I shined my light from under the tarp and not a hungry bear! Are bears ever even out in Nov? I'm somewhat new to backpacking so I didn't know what to expect! I'll try not to camp in the trail again if I can help it.

Images

Check your PM inbox M&M.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Default m&m - did you go in February?

Quote Originally Posted by M&M. View Post
    Anyone interested in hiking the foothills trail. I already have a shuttle pick up at table rock set up. I hike around a 20 mile a day pace. Some days more some days less. I'm in no rush to finish fast. The shuttle will drop off at ocunee state park and then we can hike back to the vehicles at table rock state park.
    just in case you got snowed out, i sure would like to go the week before Easter and the wife hates it when i go alone.

++ New Posts ++