WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Life Time Warranty Items

What are some good life time warranty hiking items that can easily be replaced during a thru hike?

and What is your experience with lifetime warranty items/exchanging them?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I guarantee you will find a better connection"

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix1212 View Post
    What are some good life time warranty hiking items that can easily be replaced during a thru hike?

and What is your experience with lifetime warranty items/exchanging them?
    REI has the best return policy there is. A few months ago, they made some minor change to eliminate some areas of abuse, but they still have a very liberal policy.
    Shutterbug

Osprey has a lifetime guarantee on all their packs they will fix anything you do to them no matter what. As far as how easily... You'll have to ship it, wait for them to fix it, and wait for it to return. Probably two weeks. Cascade Designs has great prompt customer service and won't let you down.

Items bought from L.L. Bean are guaranteed for your lifetime. Best to keep the receipt. Mr. Bean will replace/repair/refund anything that proves defective. Or just plain wears out as I found out with one of my daughter's book packs a long time ago. Bean carries Therm-A-Rest products, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, outdoor clothing, boots, etc. Since REI now limits you to 1 year "no questions asked", Bean's policy is the best I know of today.
    As for handling a replacement on the trail, you will have to return the item & wait for the replacement.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have a Tarptent Contrail that has been pretty beatup over the years and I recently put the trekking pole through the roof and sent it to Henry and he is repairing with no questions asked. There could be a very small charge (no more than $20) but I find some of the best service is with the small cottage companies.

Images

When my Katahdin filter clogged (then PUR) it was replaced at any place that sold them. It happened twice. Mt Rogers outfitter in Damascus and Dicks in Harrisburg replaced filters for me for free. 2000 and 2002 respectively.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

MSR also has a great lifetime policy. When I burned up my old Whisperlite, through my own negligence in not changing o-rings as necessary, they replaced it (it was beyond repair!) at no charge other than shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    REI has the best return policy there is. A few months ago, they made some minor change to eliminate some areas of abuse, but they still have a very liberal policy.
    It depends on the items. Quite a few backpacking items sold by REI are NOT going to have lifetime warranties. REI has definitely tightened up their return policies and taking, what I feel is a fair look at it, being a loyal REI Co-op Member for more than 12 yrs, it isn't just about addressing return "abuses" DESPITE REI's rhetoric.

I will not directly speak to Lifetime Warranties of backpacking gear but I give high marks for warrantied returns, replacements of gear, refunds, and issuing of merchandise credit from ProLite, Campmor, Campsaver, BackCountry, GoLite, Keen, Vasque, Eastern Mountain Sports, Mountain Laurel Designs, ULA, Cascade Designs(MSR, Thermarest, Platypus), Suunto, Marmot, MontBell, and Patagonia. Other companies offer extremely high quality backpacking gear but those are the companies that I've personally had to go through the warranty/replacement process with that I can say I've been very pleased about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I will not directly speak to Lifetime Warranties of backpacking gear but I give high marks for warrantied returns, replacements of gear, refunds, and issuing of merchandise credit from ProLite, Campmor, Campsaver, BackCountry, GoLite, Keen, Vasque, Eastern Mountain Sports, Mountain Laurel Designs, ULA, Cascade Designs(MSR, Thermarest, Platypus), Suunto, Marmot, MontBell, and Patagonia. Other companies offer extremely high quality backpacking gear but those are the companies that I've personally had to go through the warranty/replacement process with that I can say I've been very pleased about.
    Also North Face. Repaired the zipper pull on my 36 year old down parka when it busted in the dryer last year.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Also North Face. Repaired the zipper pull on my 36 year old down parka when it busted in the dryer last year.
    oh yeah....no cost but shipping and waiting.

I snapped the lower 1/3 section of a Leki pole, looked up the info on the website and it said to send an email for a RA number that both poles would have to be sent back, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. You know how they gotta word things. Anyway, sent the email, explained what happened and less than an hour later I get an email in return stating that a new lower section is on it's way.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I can also add Jetboil and Crocs. A few others that I've forgotten about. I too have been very impressed with the companies I have dealt with.
    Maybe it would be easier to post about the ones you didn't have such good service with. But for me I can't think of any.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Good to hear the good experiences with returns at TNF. Never had the need to warranty something from them as I don't use TNF very much.

Even though I don't roll with Leki trekking poles(I currently use Black Diamond Ultra Distance foldable Z Poles) so never have had to personally have them warranty something I can attest that they do stand behind their trekking poles. I've seen them at both Trail Days on the AT and the KickOff on the PCT providing reliable service(on the spot repairs included) and in some cases warrantying with new poles free of charge.

I second both comments about Leki. I had the sale part breal as atmilkman, and got the same great, no hassle service: a free replacement part, no shipping charge, no return of the broken paer required.Not really backpacking gear, but Staeu insulated bottles likewise have an excellent warranty.

words of advice Arcteryx. Great quality but not a great warranty. For the price they are charging the warranty should be better.
    Let me go

I'll add Kelty and Grand Trunks to the list. They both helped me out, despite having no obligation whatsoever to do so.

Mountainsmith repaired a disintegrated foam back pad on a 25 year old heavy hauling pack. Princeton Tec replaced a 6 year old headlamp that spontaneously started flashing and wouldn't stop.

No help from Sierra Designs on a 25 year old clip who's fly turned to gum, but I don't blame them, and I got my money's worth. I would've paid for a replacement fly but they couldn't get them.

ESEE knives, if you need sharp cutty things. Best warranty. Ever.

ESEE® NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRANTY:

If you break it, we will replace it. Warranty is lifetime and transferable. In other words, we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been traded, sold or given away - no sales receipt or proof of purchase required.
    http://www.eseeknives.com/warranty.htm

There is an ethical concern regarding return of items that have simply worn out after long use. It's different than premature failure, poor fit, bad design, or even just not liking an item. Let you conscience be your guide.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++