WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    Higher elevations with deep snow are not good for your dog.
    Maybe not good for a hairless chihuahua but excellent conditions for a great many dogs. My dog sported for 15 years living outdoors and backpacking in deep snow and cold temps.

I would think hiking with someone would be important. Someone is there to take care of you if hypothermia sets in.

What I worry about with a dog is cold rain that soaks the fur followed by a freeze. This is common in the southern mountains and is very different than snow on a dog's coat.

Forrest

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Hate to sit and wait for the snow to melt? Your liking "to keep on the move" may go haywire when Miss Nature has other plans. A slight attitude adjustment may be needed. It is winter backpacking after all where things will go against your plans. The mileage monster may not be able to be fed.
    I hear people say this all the time, and I dont understand it.

Tipi, I'm not going to argue that you have more winter 'camping' experience than me. But I prefer to hike. Bad winter weather has never stopped me before in the Appalachians south of PA, and I've been in some pretty nasty thigh-deep, post-holing whiteouts. Hiking keeps you warm(er).
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    I hear people say this all the time, and I dont understand it.

Tipi, I'm not going to argue that you have more winter 'camping' experience than me. But I prefer to hike. Bad winter weather has never stopped me before in the Appalachians south of PA, and I've been in some pretty nasty thigh-deep, post-holing whiteouts. Hiking keeps you warm(er).
    In thigh deep postholing with a pack on a ridgetop (and deeper drifts), I've only been able to make around 3 miles a day. And then to set up my tent in 2 feet of snow required ideally a snow shovel but instead I wore out a couple pair of nice gloves scrapping the snow off the ground and making a level site. Most backpackers, a great majority of AT thruhikers, bail off the mountain in such conditions (not to mention a polar snap with -8F) and lose elevation quick and zero in town. Very few will stay out into, during and after such a storm. Hence my recommendation to be fully open to a change of plans, or hunker in a tent or shelter for a couple days.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by frogmonkey View Post
    You could buy a liner for your sleeping bag or something similar for added warmth if you don't want to buy another bag that's rated to a lower temp.
    Disagree with this, especially since the original poster has not specified their temp rating for bag. I would not rely on a liner to add warmth. It might and it might not. If the original poster is starting with a 40f bag (I hope not, because even in April you'll likely be cold), a 10f additional liner would bring it down to 30f, in theory . . . . which is still not good for a Feb start. Regardless, I would not rely on a liner for additional warmth.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Maybe not good for a hairless chihuahua but excellent conditions for a great many dogs. My dog sported for 15 years living outdoors and backpacking in deep snow and cold temps.

Hi, Tipi....being a lifelong dog owner in New England, I fully understand the capabilities of various breeds during the snowy winter months. That's why I've always had large breeds as wandering companions. My last, Charlie, was a giant breed Black Lab who weighed 132 lbs. It was a pleasure to bushwhack thru deep snow, over extended periods of time, with him. I posted because the OP questioned his own capability, as a grown man, in deep snow. His Border Collie is no where near as tall (18" - 22" on avg) as he is, which should be a concern, IMO. Especially on an extended, long distant winter/early spring hike where deep snows, at high elevations, are common. Smaller breeds waste a lot of energy when they have to 'snowplow' through chest high white stuff.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++