WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Non-folding Knife

I'm curious to know how many people carry some form of sheath knife with them on an AT thru, or any extended hike on the AT? If you do, what size, type, and where do you carry it?

My non-folding cutting tool is an ultralight Firestone hand axe. I carry it concealed so folks won't think I'm a creep.

EZEE Izula.

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

There are quite a few states that have blade length restrictions, between 3-5".
    In some states you need a carry permit to carry a knife with a blade length over X, same as a handgun. Whether concealed or not. Some make exceptions for people engaged in travel to and from hunting and fishing sites.

One point, is if if looks like a weapon, its generally considered a weapon. If it looks like a kitchen knife, then it may not be considered as a weapon.

Think small. There is nothing you need a large knife for. Theres hardly anything you need a knife for at all.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-04-2014 at 20:40.

Images

Used to. Realized I wasn't using it. Same with my favorite Gerber folder. Wasn't using it. I was using the little Swiss Army knife, the one that looks like an old fashioned Scout knife. Same one I carry all the time anyway. Cutting cheese and sausage, whittling fuzz sticks, and so forth. So......

Mora classic. Light weight. Sharp. Good for cord and cheese. Unnecessary but fun. Until I lost it. Somewhere.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

It's one of the ways you can tell a hiker from a car camper.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Yeah you will find the real hikers in a hostel braggin about how light they travel.

Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade

Hey if I survive a fall from a cliff I will be able to make a ladder to get back up
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Images

Between springer and NOC you will see machetes and big bowies and bear gryllis knives. Just the mini swiss for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There are quite a few states that have blade length restrictions, between 3-5".
    In some states you need a carry permit to carry a knife with a blade length over X, same as a handgun. Whether concealed or not. Some make exceptions for people engaged in travel to and from hunting and fishing sites.

One point, is if if looks like a weapon, its generally considered a weapon. If it looks like a kitchen knife, then it may not be considered as a weapon.

Think small. There is nothing you need a large knife for. Theres hardly anything you need a knife for at all.
    I've heard conflicting information about open carrying a blade. The most reliable information I've gotten on the subject is from a very close friend in law enforcement back in MI. He assured me that it is perfectly legal to open carry any length of blade, technically speaking you could walk down Main Street carrying a Katana. Could you still get cited for disturbing the peace or something similar? Probably.

Exceptions include double edged blades, butterfly knives, brass knuckles, and fully spring actuated blades.

I carry a victorinox classic on the AT. Very light, never need a knife any bigger, the scissors help with various odd jobs and act as nail clippers. The toothpick and tweezers are invaluable as well.

On a trip in a more remote locale where I thought I might need to rely on my knife to do heavy lifting (so to speak) then I'd carry my Helle Temagami or one of several I've forged myself.

I also really like Gerber for their quality to price ratio and often carry a mini paraframe fine edge. I hate serrated edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Girl View Post
    Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade

Hey if I survive a fall from a cliff I will be able to make a ladder to get back up
    You just earned yourself a fan for your 2014 Nobo .

(Plus, those are only 4 ounces and good for batoning too.)
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

The only thing you NEED a knife for is cutting off a piece of cheese. I found the edge of my spoon works fine for that. There's a long list of things you MIGHT want a knife for. If you're that type who worries about what might happen a very small cutting edge will do the job.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    The only thing you NEED a knife for is cutting off a piece of cheese. I found the edge of my spoon works fine for that. There's a long list of things you MIGHT want a knife for. If you're that type who worries about what might happen a very small cutting edge will do the job.
    Perhaps its the Boy Scout in me. Yes there are tons of obvious blazes, Yes there are designated camps spots as well as better spots you cannot set up in. BB people disappear on a disturbing scale in State and National Parks... Young and old alike. A few skills on how to make a fuzz stick, build a fire in a emergency, clean a fish, etc. I am not talking survival, just getting yourself out of a stupid situation. This whole notion that a razor blade or a Swiss will work.. has issues... ask Aron Ralston, he had a crappy Chinese knife too.

If you find yourself in a bad situation its too late for feel good hope... the first step it to get yourself out of it, long before you call for help. - that's called action.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Perhaps its the Boy Scout in me. Yes there are tons of obvious blazes, Yes there are designated camps spots as well as better spots you cannot set up in. BB people disappear on a disturbing scale in State and National Parks... Young and old alike. A few skills on how to make a fuzz stick, build a fire in a emergency, clean a fish, etc. I am not talking survival, just getting yourself out of a stupid situation. This whole notion that a razor blade or a Swiss will work.. has issues... ask Aron Ralston, he had a crappy Chinese knife too.

If you find yourself in a bad situation its too late for feel good hope... the first step it to get yourself out of it, long before you call for help. - that's called action.
    Aaron Ralston was trapped by a multiple hundred pound sandstone chock stone. Unless he'd been carrying a broadsword I don't think blades were about to help him get out of there. Though I'm sure he didn't appreciate the dull blade from banging it on the chock stone when he was cutting off his arm.

I'm with you on the action part of solving a backcountry problem. I'm confident enough in my skills, though, to not feel the need for anything larger than a victorinox on the AT.

A good knife sure does go a long way in the hands of a skilled woodsman though. I can respect your boyscout urge.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    or from a skilled woodsman
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    I've heard conflicting information about open carrying a blade. The most reliable information I've gotten on the subject is from a very close friend in law enforcement back in MI. He assured me that it is perfectly legal to open carry any length of blade, technically speaking you could walk down Main Street carrying a Katana. Could you still get cited for disturbing the peace or something similar? Probably.

Exceptions include double edged blades, butterfly knives, brass knuckles, and fully spring actuated blades.

I carry a victorinox classic on the AT. Very light, never need a knife any bigger, the scissors help with various odd jobs and act as nail clippers. The toothpick and tweezers are invaluable as well.

On a trip in a more remote locale where I thought I might need to rely on my knife to do heavy lifting (so to speak) then I'd carry my Helle Temagami or one of several I've forged myself.

I also really like Gerber for their quality to price ratio and often carry a mini paraframe fine edge. I hate serrated edges.
    Suggest you reads the state laws in places like Ga, NH, MA, etc. They are very clear. Last time I checked the AT didnt go thru MI.

For instance, in GA:
    The simple version of Georgia knife laws can be summed up in one sentence: you can carry any blade you want, any way you want, any place in the state so long as it’s not over five inches in length. You can carry bigger blades with a concealed weapon permit,

and NJ: heres a summary:

New Jersey Criminal Code section 2C:39-5(d)
    Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.
    As a lawyer I don’t understand how a statute like this hasn’t been struck down as unconstitutionally vague. There are published accounts of citizens being arrested for no other reason than having an ordinary pocketknife in their possession. With a law this broad, even a Leatherman tool or Victorinox might not have a ‘manifestly appropriate use’ under the circumstances of the moment when the cops start asking questions.
    I didn’t even bother looking up whether New Jersey state law preempts local law, because it’s nearly impossible to get any worse than NJ state law anyway.
    Conclusion: Everything is illegal there.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-04-2014 at 22:35.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Suggest you reads the state laws in places like Ga, NH, MA, etc
    I'm not planning on carrying anything that might be questionable in the first place. But if or when I do, I'll be sure to check with local authorities.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    I'm curious to know how many people carry some form of sheath knife with them on an AT thru, or any extended hike on the AT? If you do, what size, type, and where do you carry it?
    I only carry my Leatherman Micra when I backpack. If I did bring a sheath knife it would be my Mora Knife.

Like others have said, carrying a sheath knife is legally questionable in several of the states that the trail goes through, particularly in the Northeast.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++