WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Thinking outside the box.

So what do you carry on the outside of your pack, and why?

Define "outside of your pack."

If you mean in outside mesh pockets, then I carry my rain jacket and and other stuff when it is wet. I also carry snacks, bear bag line, alcohol (both gel and the drinking kind), water, and fuel in the outside side pockets (also mesh).

If you mean stuff hanging off my pack with carabiners, then nothing. I like a streamlined pack.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

I generally dislike carrying crap on the outside of my pack but sometimes it's inevitable as shown at the beginning of a 24 day trip. I even had to hang my cooking pot on the bag in a grocery bag. NOT COOL. The green bag is filled with books (about 10 lbs) and the black/yellow thing is my down 2.5lb parka---vital at -5F. The beloved crocs. The red thing is my tent. The brown barely visible on the right is my sleeping pad. The top under-lid bag is my third food bag.

This is what a pack is supposed to look like, and eventually does near the end of one of my trips.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wink In order to make certain my companion gets a good view

I try to ensure that A.T. Bear
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...mageuser=13863
    is outside.

Wow, 10 pounds of books! Why books instead of a kindle? Is it reliability concerns? Books not available digitally?

Just curious, that is a lot of weight for reading material.

Quote Originally Posted by OgreJon View Post
    Wow, 10 pounds of books! Why books instead of a kindle? Is it reliability concerns? Books not available digitally?

Just curious, that is a lot of weight for reading material.
    The books (or rolled up copied internet readings) are all burned in the first week so those 10lbs can be kissed goodbye. The only time I really read is on a trip. Kindle? Naw, no spare batteries and I hear they pretty much go haywire at 0F.

Default pack list

I would be interested in getting a copy of your pack lists. I want comfortable camping as well as hiking. But I'm not going to carry 10 lbs. of books. Thanks for your input.

Images

Foam sleeping pad. Everything else is pretty much inside. On the days it (I) warmed up, I'd sling my quilted top through my shoulder strap just to
    have it handy. Anything important (compass is all I can think of) that's in the mesh pockets has a cord tied to a 'biner hooked onto a strap somewhere. Snacks just ride.

I'm just too worried about gear falling off and getting lost. Like my quilted top, just before Roan Mountain !!! Thanks again, Bubble Foot, for finding it, carrying it forward and returning it !!! You rock !!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Typically I only carry gear in one of the two external side pockets of my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, plus a few items in a small pocket attached to a shoulder strap.

Left side pocket: 1L lightweight water bottle; Footcare ditty

Right side pocket: 1.5L inverted lightweight water bottle with hose clipped to right shoulder strap; pack raincover; Toiletry Ditty

Shoulder pocket: Point & shoot camera; lip balm; snacks for day; guidebook notes in baggie

In the past I've resorted to hanging my camp shoes off the back of my pack, or a 2-person pack strapped onto the back, but I strive to put everything inside. My next pack will likely have a back mesh pocket where I will put my zPacks Hexamid Duo and rain gear.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I'm just too worried about gear falling off and getting lost. Like my quilted top, just before Roan Mountain !!! Thanks again, Bubble Foot, for finding it, carrying it forward and returning it !!! You rock !!
    I always double check my zippers before heading out---once left the top lid zipper open, where I store my keys and $/ID. Not good. I saw a tent once on the trail that fell off someone's pack. I thought about "taking it" but discovered it to be a Walmart Ozark Trail---Leave It Be!!

H-berg goes under the lid. The usual suspects (nalgene, map) in mesh side pockets. Everything else is in the pack.

Images

I have a lot of pockets on my ULA Circuit, and I like them.

Side pockets: water bottles
    Big stretch mesh front pocket: rain cover, TP and tent stake (for trowel), rain shell, maps/guidebook/journal/pencil in ziploc bag, hat and gloves in cool weather, ground sheet, shelter (1-person tent or tarp for my hammock.)

Hip belt pockets: snacks go on left side, alcohol gel and Gold Bond powder on right.

If I am using a closed cell foam pad it gets strapped to the top of the pack. I also hang a bandana from my shoulder strap -- I know people hate this, but it works for me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

My two largest items are my tent and my sleeping bag. I don't have room for both inside my pack (or in the mesh pockets). So I use the lashes on the bottom of the pack for my tent.

Back before I started purchasing lighter weight and down-sized gear, I had an external frame Kelty pack where I could strap the tent to the top cross bar, the sleeping bag to the straps under the pack, and then lashed my rolled up sleeping pad to some lash connection points on the back side of the bag.

Wet socks tied with 50/50 cord.
    Bandanna>Ilost six.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So what do you carry on the outside of your pack, and why?
    Very little normally. I don't like things hanging off my pack. Water bottles on the front of my shoulder straps and a dry bag with misc. items I need during the day in one side pocket. Rain gear in front pocket. If my shelter is wet, it goes in the front pocket as well but I have room for it in the main pack if needed. (Pack: ULA Circuit)
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Section Hiker

Regularly: CCF sleeping pad, shockproof/waterproof camera on an S-biner on my hipbelt, flip flops. Maybe my second trekking pole.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

I have the usual stuff in the mesh pockets like everyone else: water bottles, filter, snacks, hand sanitizer, TP, and tarp. The only things actually hanging off my pack will be my wet laundry: 1pr socks, 1pr underwear-yep I am hiker trash.

Images

image.jpg Day hike, snacks and foam seat.

Just about always:

ccf butt/sit pad
    rain gear
    water treatment (Aqua Mira or SteriPen or Sawyer Squeeze)
    trail snacks
    shed layers as I warm up
    map
    compass
    water bottles

Sometimes:

Shelter/tarp
    Saw (Little Buck from QiWiz.net)
    Hat/headband
    Gloves/mittens
    Microspikes
    Snowshoes