WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Here's the best reason...... Since so many folks quit so early, it will give you an opportunity to hit the first hill where folks starting shedding gear, decide you don't like it and quit. This will allow you to tell people that you changed your mind about hiking the AT, since you will have never hiked a mile of the actual AT, you technically wouldn't have quit. Other than that it boils down to logistics and personal preference. The scenery is pretty much the same as the next hundred miles (at least.). But the falls are cool and you can count the stairs. Don't believe the sign, it is wrong on how many steps there are.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    you can count the stairs. Don't believe the sign, it is wrong on how many steps there are.
    do you count the landings/ platforms?

-

when I read the "case" for the approach trail, I thought that meant you should carry/ drink a case - sounds like a lot for just 8 miles

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Simple: do what is best for the person nice enough to haul your butt down there! If they want to see Springer Mtn, use the FS road. If they want easier logistics? Hike the approach trail.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    1) The approach trail is not part of the A.T. and whether or not you hike it holds no bearing on your ability to call yourself a thru hiker.

2) If a person is about to attempt a continuous 2,184 mile long hike, and they are actually conflicted about whether to add an additional eight miles to the trip, then they might want to reconsider why they are out there in the first place.
    Strongly agree on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The falls are really the highlight of GA. Seriously, at least go look at them even if you dont hike the approach.

The approach is no more difficult than any of the other AT. Its just a rude awakening for folks with too-heavy packs, they dont get to start off on an easy day. Boo hoo.

Hike it if you want, dont if you dont want. Its not part of the AT. Just dont pretend that an addtional 8 miles out of 2185 really makes a difference. It may make getting to Springer more satisfying for some. After all, getting there is much of the fun.
    Agree with MW's take here. Even if you don't hike the Approach Tr consider checking out Amicalola Falls especially when they are fully flowing which they usually are when AT NOBOers are typically starting. Totally share his opinion: "After all, getting there is much of the fun." This was me too: "The approach is no more difficult than any of the other AT. Its just a rude awakening for folks with too-heavy packs, they don't get to start off on an easy day. Boo hoo." That got me seriously thinking about pack wt and all the really needless crap I was carrying by the time I got to Stover Creek. I was physically sore that first night. In my mind, the first things that I recall as Georgia AT highlights for my AT thru-hike are 1) Amicalola Waterfall, although I know that's not the "official" AT 2) Long Creek Waterfall 3) Blood Mt summit 4) lots of flowering trees and perennials 5) Neels Gap hiking through the building at Mountain Crossings 6) Seeing that GA/NC state line sign(and then that welcome to NC stepped ascent). That NC Trail Club responsible for that stretch of the AT has some warped sense of humor. I was still sore by the time I got to the first state line.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Once you start taking the "easy way" it will be the down fall of your hike. Next it will be skipping parts, yellow blazing and than just giving up on the whole thru-hike thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I think this is right on. It's a slippery slope. I have done both ways. If you like to think you've done the whole AT you can start up top but there are so many opportunities to skip parts, sometimes with good reasons. Once you start skipping though....
    I think there may be a correlation as Grampie and BB is saying here. I've said the same in other threads regarding the Approach Trail "question" topic - to hike or not hike. I have no stats to support my case but for wanna thru-hike the AT attempters I find those that do hike the AT without an agonizing mindset over whether or not to hike the Approach Tr tend to have a go with the flow I'll manage my hike(and me) I'll adapt mentality and are more likely to finish their attempted thru-hikes. In other words, they know they must "own their hikes." Again, each individual has to HYOH. But it might be helpful to get clearer about your motivations and goals for attempting an AT thru-hike so you can better HYOH.

-

a little off topic, but with the cold in GA are the falls likely frozen now?

that would make a nice treat for early starters

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Here's the best reason...... Since so many folks quit so early, it will give you an opportunity to hit the first hill where folks starting shedding gear, decide you don't like it and quit. This will allow you to tell people that you changed your mind about hiking the AT, since you will have never hiked a mile of the actual AT, you technically wouldn't have quit. Other than that it boils down to logistics and personal preference. The scenery is pretty much the same as the next hundred miles (at least.). But the falls are cool and you can count the stairs. Don't believe the sign, it is wrong on how many steps there are.
    LOL. LOL. It would save some face for those that might be attempting/considering an AT thru-hike doing it for some grounded in ego motivations.

Hike it or don't. By not hiking it you aren't skipping any of the AT. The probability of success neither goes up nor down relative to your decision to hike it or not.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Good question George. Call AF SP. I doubt it though. After speaking to the receptionists at the AF SP Visitor's Center on my first visit to AF SP I asked and she said YES it has happened. If I'm recalling correctly, the Visitor's Center did have pics of AF frozen on the wall and in a portfolio of park pics.

it's my hike and how I feel about it, and in reality that's all that matters, just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    when I read the "case" for the approach trail, I thought that meant you should carry/ drink a case - sounds like a lot for just 8 miles
    You must be getting prepped for the "big game."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    a little off topic, but with the cold in GA are the falls likely frozen now?

that would make a nice treat for early starters
    I love the icefalls, I try to get to Starved Rock in your state every year to go and see them, there's a picture in my profile of me standing under one. Awesome experience for anyone and crazy to see that much water just suspended in the air like that.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Jeez, it's eight miles, I've hiked it, and would I hike it again...no, just because I live nearby and see no reason too. The falls are cool, the hike up, meh. At the end of the day do what you want. To me that is the joy of hiking, doing what "I" want, I stopped caring what other hikers thought about me a long time ago.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    The AT has a very high drop out rate for thru hikers. Various frustrations early in the hike will sometimes drive people off the trail. A good start is contributes to a higher success rate. Why make it harder by starting at the approach trail? Why not start your hike by walking from the Atlanta airport? It's not on the AT either.
    Wow. That is a very great point. I was wondering about that. I will be taking Amtrak into Atlanta and might just hike from the train terminal. I mean, how much further can it really be?

If you're gonna start bitchin about 8 miles before even starting an anticipated AT thru-hike, uhh..........what might that be saying about your mindset going into an anticipated I wanna do an AT thru-hike? regardless whether or not you hike the Approach Tr? Just sayin.

plenty of thru hikers get off the train in gainseville instead of atlanta, and walk from there. you really wouldn't want to do that from atlanta

[QUOTE=Siarl;1843161]Wow. That is a very great point. I was wondering about that. I will be taking Amtrak into Atlanta and might just hike from the train terminal. I mean, how much further can it really be?[/QUOTE

In round numbers, 70 miles to AFSP, add another 20 to walk to Springer.

Good luck. Few years ago a potential thru got robbed on their walk from the Amtrak Station to their Atlanta hotel. Shoulda taken a taxi or city bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    plenty of thru hikers get off the train in gainseville instead of atlanta, and walk from there. you really wouldn't want to do that from atlanta
    Plenty?????

Yeah, it isn't a walk through Wonka's chocolate factory from Atlanta to anywhere you can trail connect with the AT. frach dat.

When did hiking the Approach Trail become a "thing?"

I noticed, in the past, when hikers would sign up on Mountain Squid's registry thread, the Approach Trail was just something to do or not to do. No big deal at all.

I always thought it was fun to see how many said they were planning to do it compared to those that weren't. There always seemed to be a fair amount of "maybe" as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++