WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dog Caution - Poisoned Coyote Bait

One of the moderators on views from the top recently had his dog pass away and it turned out that the dog had eaten poisoned coyote bait. He normally hikes in the New York area but the warning is probably a good one for all dog owners.

Please note that you can view the threads but can post unless you are a member

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...hike-with-dogs

Wow, that's the saddest story! Thanks for sharing with all of us. :>(

Never thought about this in the south...I guess I better keep a better eye on my pup on trail....sad story..I lost my 8 year old black lab to heat stroke....having your best friend die in your arms is devastating..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone see that PBS Nature special on coywolfs and coyotes in urban settings? I like the way it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Anyone see that PBS Nature special on coywolfs and coyotes in urban settings? I like the way it was done.
    Yea, that was pretty amazing. Urban areas produce a lot of rodents. Coywolfs eat a lot of rodents. Makes sense...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

The OP on the other post didn't say, but I would have to guess that the dog was off leash (he mentioned the dog falling behind later on). Unless the poison was right on the trail--and even the idiots who put poison near trails probably aren't that stupid--keeping the dog on the leash might've saved it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    The OP on the other post didn't say, but I would have to guess that the dog was off leash (he mentioned the dog falling behind later on). Unless the poison was right on the trail--and even the idiots who put poison near trails probably aren't that stupid--keeping the dog on the leash might've saved it.
    Nice job trying to blame the victim. Maybe if some prick hadn't intentionally and indiscriminately left poison near a trail than this wouldn't have happened
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Nice job trying to blame the victim. Maybe if some prick hadn't intentionally and indiscriminately left poison near a trail than this wouldn't have happened
    Just about nobody hates people who kill predators more than me. Putting out poison is cowardly and pathetic. The poisoner is a piece of crap and should rot in jail.

But I've seen way too many examples of off-leash dogs getting into trouble that resulted in their own harm or death. Here's the most recent one: a logger I knew let his huge dog wander the woods while he was working. One day the dog comes back with a face full of over 100 porcupine quills. Off to the vet they go where the dog's heart actually stops for a minute because of a bad reaction to the anesthesia. So, the dog nearly died and had to undergo a painful procedure. Who's fault was that? The vet? The porcupine? The dog? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    BTW, the actual victim was the dog. I wasn't blaming the dog.

Images

I have a neighbor (pretty rural) who traps coyotes for a living.
    I think it's a big pain in the ass.
    I like to hear the howls at night.
    He says they kill deer.
    I think there's way too many deer.
    Now I worry that the rabbits will eat our garden in the summer.
    He's willing to trap rabbits for a fee !
    s
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, that was pretty amazing. Urban areas produce a lot of rodents. Coywolfs eat a lot of rodents. Makes sense...
    One reason why I brought this Nature special regarding Coywolfs and coyotes up is because it sure seemed to me from the special these creatures don't pose all that serious of a risk to humans or the human way of life so WHY? attempt to poison them? Am I being ignorant about WHY? coyotes are deemed such a huge threat by some humans that it is felt these animals need to be poisoned? If humans weren't attempting to poison coyotes and coywolfs than Peakbagger's dog would still be alive! These animals seem to largely leave humans alone existing at the periphery of our society or doing little to NO HARM when even in close contact with humans in urban situations. Are coyotes the next thing ignorant humans feel they need to exterminate or utterly bend to the desires of humans and human activity?

i think on a very primal, instinctive level, humans won't coexist with predators

-

poisoning of predators is commonly associated with limiting agricultural losses - if you have problems with that then you should also object to eliminating rats - then killing insects - and how about bacteria, they may have feelings too - better give up the hand sanitizer

Please show me some credible proof coyotes are significantly preying upon agricultural livestock. As far as I've seen, research tells us that coyotes prey upon "rabbits, Canada geese(aren't they a filthy problem in some places?), insects(is that such a bad thing to have less insects?), roadkill(more animals killed at the hands of human activity, 1 million animals are killed everyday on U.S. roads by some estimates), perhaps the weaker/diseased/younger deer/fawns(aren't they also considered by humans to be a nuisance in some areas?), fruit, RATS(I'm all for less rats IN CITIES!, THAT'S USUALLY YET ANOTHER PROBLEM FACTORING IN/CREATED BY HUMAN ACTIVITY!), other rodents, and the occasional family pet(Seems they can be a problem too and, that problem as well, often has at it's core human activity). Seems like COYOTES could be seen as beneficial predators in some regards especially if humans get over the fearful notion that coyotes are taking something away from them that they (HUMANS) think have the utmost right to. Sure as hell seems to me that humans have a hell of a lot of problems with other species. PERHAPS, that's because IT IS HUMAN ACTIVITY THAT IS THE BIGGER PROBLEM!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    poisoning of predators is commonly associated with limiting agricultural losses - if you have problems with that then you should also object to eliminating rats - then killing insects - and how about bacteria, they may have feelings too - better give up the hand sanitizer
    What you just wrote is a classic example of a slippery slope argument. It is considered a basic logical fallacy. Before using a slippery slope argument you should be aware that this is the exact same form of argument that PETA uses when they claim that killing a human is wrong, there killing a cow is wrong therefore killing a rat is wrong.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

They eat a lot of cats too, I believe it to be thier primary diet in towns, had one come thru the yard with one in its mouth.

Please show me some credible proof coyotes are significantly preying upon agricultural livestock. As far as I've seen, research tells us that coyotes prey upon "rabbits, Canada geese(aren't they a filthy problem in some places?), insects(is that such a bad thing to have less insects?), roadkill(more animals killed at the hands of human activity, 1 million animals are killed everyday on U.S. roads by some estimates), perhaps the weaker/diseased/younger deer/fawns(aren't they also considered by humans to be a nuisance in some areas?), fruit, RATS(I'm all for less rats IN CITIES!, THAT'S USUALLY YET ANOTHER PROBLEM FACTORING IN/CREATED BY HUMAN ACTIVITY!), other rodents, and the occasional family pet(Seems they can be a problem too and, that problem as well, often has at it's core human activity). Seems like COYOTES could be seen as beneficial predators in some regards especially if humans get over the fearful notion that coyotes are taking something away from them that they (HUMANS) think have the utmost right to. Sure as hell seems to me that humans have a hell of a lot of problems with other species. PERHAPS, that's because IT IS HUMAN ACTIVITY THAT IS THE BIGGER PROBLEM!
    To me coyotes are just another animal that has as much right as I to be here...maybe more. They're like people though, get too many in an area and they become a problem, but nature has a way of working that out without our help.

When we want to talk about rodent problems, such as rats and mice at AT shelters, isn't that also a factor of human activity? I'm just saying George it certainly seems to this savant that it is humans who create/self generate many of these so called "problems' with wildlife and yet pt to the consequences of their own behavior as if they fell out of the sky from nowhere. Getting back to the topic. This man's beloved pet dog would be alive if humans weren't attempting to poison Coyotes.

http://www.predatordefense.org/coyotes.htm

Everyone should watch that PBS Nature show on Coywolfs. Apparently the very effort to eliminate them has lead to thier being exceptionally adaptive and secretive. Coyotes and thier hybred cousins Coywolfs don't hunt in packs, so they don't go after large game. When efforts to eliminate Coyotes from an area have been succesfull, the rodent population explodes as a result.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Everyone should watch that PBS Nature show on Coywolfs. Apparently the very effort to eliminate them has lead to thier being exceptionally adaptive and secretive. Coyotes and thier hybred cousins Coywolfs don't hunt in packs, so they don't go after large game. When efforts to eliminate Coyotes from an area have been succesfull, the rodent population explodes as a result.
    Very good show.

I could have misunderstood, but I was thinking that the "Eastern Coyote" is the same as a "Coywolf" and that virtually every coyote one encounters in the east is an "Eastern Coyote". Yes?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++