WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I would have made conditional to their probation community service at a Nature Center, NP or SP Visitors Center, etc that further raised their environmental awareness and offering a rescinding of their actions to the Scouts who may have been present through an apology or some recognition they could have handled things more constructively. Like that they are charged with putting up warning signs not to damage the goblins which is a in essence community service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You're right. I thought the origin came from the Dred Scott Decision but it goes back further than that. What through me off is that your origin is spelled "scot" which comes from the Norse "skot" while it was written here as "Scott." You go on to the Bonus round while I must settle for a 1 yr subscription in the Cheese of the Month Club. cheesy smile.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/6309
    dred Scott was turned back to his master, The case happened in St. Louis. I can't imagine how many linchings happened during that case.

My nephew went on a week scout trip out of Springer mountain about a year ago. He told me that he learned that LNT was for adults not scouts.
    Now most of you Scout guys are good but a few are not.
    Just maybe the boy scouts need to recruit more gay scout masters to teach our boys beauty and respect.
    My brother is a full blown idiot when it comes to outdoors and his sons. I am blocked from talking to my nephews about anything outdoors. I can only hope they come to me or you to learn a right way to do things.

What's that I hear? Could it be the footsteps of MODS?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What's that I hear? Could it be the footsteps of MODS?

mods? please define.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Just found myself wondering whatever happened to these two jerks... so I Googled the answer, they got off way too easy...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...each-plea-deal
    What would be the point of punishing them (harder)? They seem to have realized their error of their ways, what good would come of a harder sentence? They ended up paying the cost of their error, including the investigation and court costs, and made to pay for having to put up signs to prevent this from happening in the future. In that last part, they are now helping the place they damaged, so paying back to society by limiting any future damage.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    What would be the point of punishing them (harder)? They seem to have realized their error of their ways, what good would come of a harder sentence?
    1. example for others to THINK
    2. makes us feel better

Im for bringing back public stoning.
    Some people are too stupid to be part of society. This was one instance, its a symptom, not a unique event.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    1. example for others to THINK
    That's what the signs they are paying for already will do.

2. makes us feel better
    Living in a unjust society does not make me feel any better. Hurting someone to make yourself feel better is evil as I see it.

Im for bringing back public stoning.
    Some people are too stupid to be part of society.
    We'd all be dead then if we were stoned for being stupid at times. Though that last person, well they might have to jump off a cliff as it's hard to stone oneself.

This was one instance, its a symptom, not a unique event.
    Actually for them, it is a unique event, it was the transformational event in their lives where they learned what they needed to know. That should not be punished, it is the wrong message.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ...Im for bringing back public stoning...
    Perhaps we could tip a goblin over on top of them!

I am okay with letting the judge and/or jury decide culpability and possible punishment. However, part of that punishment, if found guilty, should include banishment from the type of area the offender has so little respect for. This would solve many problems. Those that hate the rules of such areas would be free from the temptation of violating said rules and those that respect the rules would be free from the effects of such disrespectful behavior and the idiots that think themselves above said rules. The punishment beyond banishment would also have to be great enough to discourage those that don't care if they are banished. I am glad I am not the Solomon that decides such things. It can't be a fulfilling job.

Eccl 8:11 "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Banishing those who do not care if they are banished is to burnish the banishment to a higher banishing level so the banished have an exemplary banish experience worthy of banishment.

<dusting off hands>

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I am okay with letting the judge and/or jury decide culpability and possible punishment. However, part of that punishment, if found guilty, should include banishment from the type of area the offender has so little respect for. This would solve many problems. Those that hate the rules of such areas would be free from the temptation of violating said rules and those that respect the rules would be free from the effects of such disrespectful behavior and the idiots that think themselves above said rules. The punishment beyond banishment would also have to be great enough to discourage those that don't care if they are banished. I am glad I am not the Solomon that decides such things. It can't be a fulfilling job.

Eccl 8:11 "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Banishing those who do not care if they are banished is to burnish the banishment to a higher banishing level so the banished have an exemplary banish experience worthy of banishment.

<dusting off hands>
    Some care about visiting such places. The threat of banishment would be an effective deterrent for those people. For the other types, see the above bold print. Either way, there would be an attrition of "one offs". These people cannot represent a big percentage of the population. I hope we are not that far gone. I am more interested in protecting things that most people appreciate than to appeal to the logic of the problem childs. I do not care how the banished feel about their banishment so long as the treasure is protected. There is no piling those rocks up again. There is no punishment that will fix those rocks. I am more interested in deterrents that protect treasures than I am in punishing people. If the treat of banishment is irrelevant than the threat of punishment should be great enough to stop the activity.

I can see a debate about if punishments work or not coming. I don't want to punish anyone. I am not in a position to say I am better than anyone. I have not lead a model life. I just want the treasures protected. I am not the Solomon that knows the best way to protect those treasures. However, there has to be a way. And just letting it happen ain't it.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I have received an email from a long time WB member who does not agree with me.
    I do not wish to offend anyone or upset anyone with anything I post.

Therefore I am effectively deleting my orignal post in this thread.
    Rolls
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 11-15-2015 at 02:06.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    The bounty of this country fed our predecestors for hundreds/thousands of years yet there are laws that punish quite serverly anyone taking game out of season even if their family is hungry. Yet rocks meant for beauty only were destroyed for a bogus reason and the fine is nothing.
    They could have walked around or not gone near at all.
    Know how I know your post is BS?

Rock tumblers -- $2400+ costs and fines, plus an undertmined amount to cover the costs of signage.

Utah wildlife violations --
    Penalties for Wildlife Violations in UtahThe basic minimum penalties for many wildlife violations are listed below; however, these penalties may increase depending on the type of wildlife involved in the offense and whether the offender has previously been convicted of wildlife violations.

Class B Misdemeanors – These offenses can result in up to six months imprisonment and/or fines up to $1,000.

Class A Misdemeanors – This degree of offense can result in imprisonment not exceeding one year and/or fines not more than $2,500.

Third Degree Felonies – This type of felony can incur five years imprisonment and/or fines not exceeding $5,000.

Additional penalties for wildlife violations can include permanent or temporary loss of a hunting or fishing license and privileges, forfeiture of hunting equipment, or restitution for the value of the wildlife or damage from the violation.

Restitution payments for trophy animals in Utah can be as much as $30,000. These payments go into a state fund, the Help Stop Poaching Fund, dedicated to catching and convicting poachers by rewarding hunters who report illegal poaching activity.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Perhaps we could tip a goblin over on top of them!
    Watching that video, they came close to doing that to themselves. Those two morons would not have been laughing then. They could have been stars on an epic fail video.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Watching that video, they came close to doing that to themselves. Those two morons would not have been laughing then. They could have been stars on an epic fail video.
    And then they would probably filed a bogus law suit.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++