WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default What to do about bringing a stove? (flying)

Flying from San Diego, going NOBO. Will probably stay at the hostel and send my stuff there in advance so it'll be waiting for me, but what about my camper stove? I won't be able to send canistered gas in the mail so should I just go stoveless until I can pick one up along the trail?

Thanks

I believe you can ship the stove ahead to Hiker Hostel, and get fuel at that end. At worst, go stoveless for a few days.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

What kind of camper stove do you have? You may be able to mail some fuel if you do it right. For example if your stove uses isobutane or isopropane canisters you can mail one in the US mail by telling them and making sure it's marked for surface shipment only so they will put it on a truck.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I'd call the hostel. They deal with AT thru-hikers starting off like yourself. I would not be surprised if they already have some canisters on hand or can stop along the way to the hostel to pick up some fuel. But, again, call first!

You can mail fuel as well (ORM-D regulations), but getting fuel there may be easier and less $$$$.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

If you're staying at the Hiker Hostel before the start, they will shuttle you from Atlanta & stop at an outfitter on the way. You can fly w/ a canister stove. Just not the canister. White gas stoves & airlines gets tricky.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    If you're staying at the Hiker Hostel before the start, they will shuttle you from Atlanta & stop at an outfitter on the way. You can fly w/ a canister stove. Just not the canister. White gas stoves & airlines gets tricky.
    This. The folks running the Hiker Hostel are great about helping hikers with stuff like this. I flew with my canister stove (no fuel) and had no problems with the airline or TSA. Every outfitter I visited on the trail carried a good sized inventory of fuel canisters so you shouldn't have any trouble getting fuel once you're hiking.
    Mobilis in Mobili

I've flown with a stove (no canister) and received a note a few time that my suitcase was inspected by the TSA.

Just a tip- make sure it is packed in a way that it is easily accessible by the inspector (so they don't mess up anything in your bag).
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Journal Entries

Technically, you're only allowed to fly with a stove that has never had fuel in it. Most airlines don't care enough to bother people about it. But if you're stove looks as run down as mine does, I'd be cautious, because if someone's having a bad day they could legally confiscate it and then you're definitely going cookless for a while.

i work for delta airlines. from the airlines POV pressure is the primary concern. from TSA's point of view, flammability is. there are two lists, what is forbidden to carry on, and what is forbidden to check, there is some overlap on those lists. don't bother with either. mark your mail shipment "ground only" and simply don't bother trying to take it on the flight. it will even be cheaper to ship, just make sure you account for the extra time to its destination. and check your bag instead of trying to carry on, it will save you a lot of potential headache. checked bags bypass TSA, and every TSA agent is different. remember that the airline has no influence on TSA

to put things in a little bit of perspective. every passenger is allowed to check 11 lb of ammunition into the cargo hold. multiply that by the number of passengers, and think about all that gun powder during take off.

Isn't there a REI at the end of the MARTA ride?
    COG 2011

Images

From TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/camping-gear
    Outdoor enthusiasts should prepare and pack carefully so that they don't have to surrender items at the security checkpoint or have them removed from their checked baggage.Below is information specific to camping and outdoor activities:
    Camp Stoves - These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left.

I've flown with a Jetboil both in carry-on and checked baggage and never had a problem.

Images

Where do you mail it to if you're starting at Mt. Katahdin?

For Mt Katahdin check out the AT Lodge or the post office in Millinocket, ME. That is the closest town. Not speaking from experience though only what I've been reading. I'm also starting there.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

from ATL airport, take the Marta red line North, remain on that line. Exit the train at Sandy Springs Station. It is a short walk roughly SouthEast from the station to the REI perimeter store. Take a moment to appreciate the trees and schubs there, I planted then about twenty years ago and they are maturing nicely.

REI Perimeter
    1165 Perimeter Ctr W Ste 200
    Atlanta, GA 30338
    (770) 901-9200

I don't know, but I suspect the Hiker Hostel would be willing to pick up there for the shuttle ride north

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    Take a moment to appreciate the trees and schubs there, I planted then about twenty years ago and they are maturing nicely.

REI Perimeter
    1165 Perimeter Ctr W Ste 200
    Atlanta, GA 30338
    (770) 901-9200

I don't know, but I suspect the Hiker Hostel would be willing to pick up there for the shuttle ride north
    Looking good on google street view.

occurs to me, from the ATL airport MARTA station, when you catch the red line, make SURE it says North Springs on the front car digital display, if it says Doraville, do not get on that train

Journal Entries
    Images

if staying at the Hiker Hostel i do believe if you get the package deal 80 buck this year. They pick up drop off put you up and give you 8 oz fuel http://hikerhostel.com/

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I checked my msr pocket rocket on the plane, no issue. Fuel you will need to buy

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomaskovic View Post
    Isn't there a REI at the end of the MARTA ride?
    Second to last stop if I remember correctly.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++