WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thank you, Jeff. I have been searching through old threads and the one you linked is what I was looking for.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I plan on opening a hostel on the AT, starting with buying the perfect piece of property in November after I hike the CDT. I have seen many hostels over the last couple years on the AT and PCT and plan on building one that incorporates the best services of each. This hostel will be something to look forward to on your hike. It will be great.

I look forward to seeing you guys there.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    soft chairs and the owners dont care if ya party,
    I prefer the NO drugs or alcohol places.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Uncle Johnny's in Erwin TN. My favorite Hostel in 2007.

Bearded Woods Bunk & Dine. Operated by 2014 Thru-hiker Hudson and his wife Big Lou. They take care of everything: Shuttles to and from trail, food, laundry. Included in the Nightly fee is: Dinner, breakfast, laundry, Slack packing and shuttling. I stayed there while sectioning Connecticut this past summer. They will be open this year during Hudsons Thru-hike.
    Pootz 07

Aquone hostel, hands down the best I've stayed at. Woods hole is nice, but crowded. Uncle Johnny's is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Mints on your pillows at night.
    Pillows?....you mean that pile of dirty clothes under your head?

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    woods hole
    I wasn't impressed with Woods Hole......Mountain Harbour was good, great owners and atmosphere....fantastic breakfast!!!

Close to trail. Close to post office. Close to AYCE restaurant. Washer and dryer. Cable TV. Free continental breakfast. Swimming pool.

Oh, and you misspelled the word. There is no "s" in hotel.

The perfect hostel is the one that draws the most people off the trail for a day or two.

Ran by a hiker - not trying to get rich, I do understand the need to make money sure and seems like the real hikers have a better grip on this
    shower and laundry - included in price of stay, disliked when all the add-ons came about
    resupply store of some kind - doesn't have to be a full outfitter, more than ramen please
    internet and power - some communication with the "real world" is nice
    kitchen - nice to cook if you want
    meals that differ from trail food - sometimes change is good
    close to trail, 1 mile or so - like to stay close to "home"
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" jimmy dean

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    1. Soft bed
    2. Hot showers
    3. Able to wash cloths.
    4. No more than 1mi. from the trail.
    5. Except mail drops.
    6. Basic food supply items for sale.
    7. Provide transportation to resupply in town.
    8. Be friendly.
    Yep i agree with all the Above but i would like to add AYCE Breakfast, and have access to a TV so hikers can check the weather or watch regular shows, but if you want some first hand knowlege of a good hostel go check out Uncle Johnny's in Erwin TN, or Church of the Mountains Hostel in Delaware Water Gap, PA these are my favorite two hostels on the trail, but i would advise you to contact Hostel owners/Operator's to pick their brain and try to get as much knowlege as i possibly could before you start the hostel.

A binder with local attractions and activities (description, prices, opening hours, how to get there etc).

When I check into a hostel I love knowing what is available in the local area.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

If you don't mind me asking, why is COTMH one of your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by apd07c View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why is COTMH one of your favorites?
    It's quite, Clean, they have one of the best showers on the trail, close to P.O, close to the trail, close to great eateries and other services the bakery in DWG is one of the best on the entire trail, great atmosphere, nice and respectable people, and if your their on the right day you can eat like a pig for nothing, and the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    It's quite, Clean, they have one of the best showers on the trail, close to P.O, close to the trail, close to great eateries and other services the bakery in DWG is one of the best on the entire trail, great atmosphere, nice and respectable people, and if your their on the right day you can eat like a pig for nothing, and the price is right.
    I need to add that their is NO Alcohol or Drug use permitted on the property, and they have a Really nice over-flow shelter so if the bunkhouse is full you can stay in the over-flow shelter and still receive the same services.

The Tea Horse Hostel in Harpers Ferry was the cleanest, most comfortable hostel I've used, much better than the motel rooms I stayed in, a little pricey but worth it.

Hiker Hostel, sending hundreds of Northbounders on the AT with a full belly and alot of imparted knowledge.
    http://www.hikerhostel.com/
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Images

I need to add that their is NO Alcohol or Drug use permitted on the property, and they have a Really nice over-flow shelter so if the bunkhouse is full you can stay in the over-flow shelter and still receive the same services.
    Hopefully every hiker would immediately assume NO alcohol or drug use at any church hostel.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Maybe they have updated that shower since the last time I was there. It was questionable, at best, when I saw it last. I also remember doing my laundry outside in a bucket... not that there is anything wrong with that; just sayin'.

I appreciate your response. No one has ever mentioned to me COTMH as one of their favorites.

Journal Entries
    Images

1) Shower
    2) Washer & Dryer
    3) Warm
    4) Friendly ( as in I'm headed to the grocery store want to ride along.
    5) Go Ahead and use my stove and oven just clean up after yourself and remember this is a sepic system. Your not in a City.
    6)Friendly straight forward owners.

Images

The Dutch House on the AT , Free Lunch! Woodshole is great too.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++