WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question K9 Nutrition on the Trail

In mid-June, my 51 lb dalmatian will be making her AT debut for a 5-day section in the Grayson Highlands area. We haven't exactly worked out the mileage yet, but my guess is we will be doing 8-10 miles/day. We've had her out on hikes numerous times, but never an overnight where we didn't have access to get her more food if she was hungry. So here are my questions:

1. What are some ways you supplement your dog's food on the trail? We'll take her around 4 cups of her dry kibble, and some peanut butter since it's calorie dense and she loves it.

2. Do you let your dogs drink out of streams, or do you try to get them filtered water when they need it, and if so, how often? I know its impossible to keep your dog from drinking stream water or puddle water ALL the time, but I also know they can get giardia just like people. I'm probably over thinking this one, but I want my Lady to be as comfortable and healthy as possible.

I should clarify, 4 cups of dry kibble PER DAY. not total.

Please keep your dog on a leash and out of springs. Not everyone carries a waterfilter.Tunafish mixed with dry dog food is a good dog meal.

AkaMirage, why don't you tell the vet what you're about to do and ask for some professional dietary advice. Also ask about prevention of contracting Giardia for your dog? I never thought about either questions. I'm interested to hear what you come up with.

I would check the dog regs for Grayson Highlands too. Since there are wild ponies in the area they mibht want you to leash her or always be in tight control of the dog.

No need to supplement, use a super premium dog food. I have never hiked with a dog but my Brittany's have been field trialed and have done very well on Canidae - I use grain free dog food. There are many super premium brands to pick from, it cost more but 2 cups will be enough food for an active 50 lb dog for the day. The benefit is you or the dog carries less weight over the 5 days.

Whatever you decide to feed your dog, don't change right at the start of your hike. Give her a week or two beforehand to get used to the new food if that's the way you go.

My buddy brings his dog and always filters water for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    AkaMirage, why don't you tell the vet what you're about to do and ask for some professional dietary advice. Also ask about prevention of contracting Giardia for your dog? I never thought about either questions. I'm interested to hear what you come up with.
    We're taking her to the vet this weekend for her yearly check up, and were intending to ask some questions about nutrition. I'll definitely follow up especially on the question regarding waterborne illnesses.

Also in response to the dog regs for the Grayson Highlands State Park, they require dogs to be on a 6-ft or shorter leash. I believe the AT only runs for about two miles in the actual state park, but we'll have her leashed since it will all be new surroundings to her. She'll probably leave the ponies alone though since she grew up with horses.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyOne View Post
    No need to supplement, use a super premium dog food. I have never hiked with a dog but my Brittany's have been field trialed and have done very well on Canidae - I use grain free dog food. There are many super premium brands to pick from, it cost more but 2 cups will be enough food for an active 50 lb dog for the day. The benefit is you or the dog carries less weight over the 5 days.
    Less weight sounds like a good plan - we may have to look into that, as I'm sure WE will be doing much of the food carrying for her.

(Although she'll probably sill get some peanut butter as a supplement just because she love it so much!)

I took my jack on a 2.5 day hike from 603 south into Damascus. It is a awesome trip at 40 miles. My dog is on a leash if at a shelter w other people or near a road. It is impossible to keep them from drinking from a stream and don't think they are likely to get any illness as the water in that section was a lot cleaner than my city tap water. He wasn't too find of the ponies...he got a little intimidated by the ponies. He freaked out and chased one off after it got too close. It was a blast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AkaMirage View Post
    Less weight sounds like a good plan - we may have to look into that, as I'm sure WE will be doing much of the food carrying for her.

(Although she'll probably sill get some peanut butter as a supplement just because she love it so much!)
    Transfer your dog over well in advance of the hike.
    1. Changing diet suddenly can cause tummy aches
    2. Your dog will still want to eat 4 cups of food even though it only needs 2 so you have to taper down

I have a 70+ lb Lab and feed grain free food and she gets 1.5 cups twice a day (3 cups per day) and if my wife feeds her and I don't know and put a second bowl down she'll eat it just as enthusiastically as the first one.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

It is common for both people and dogs to lose their appetite for the first few day on the trail, likely due to the sudden amount of physical activity and exposure to the elements. Don't be surprised if your dog just wants to lay down and go to sleep the first couple of nights and doesn't show too much interest in food.

I usually hike with one of three different dogs and we always bring their usual high quality dry food along with small cans/packets of wet food which is a serious treat for them. We mix a packet of wet food in with their dry food and this is usually enough enticement to get them to their full meal. We also feed them using a food container that has a good lid, if they don't feel like eating then we seal up the leftover dog food, put it with our food bag and offer it to them again a few hours later or the next morning and they are almost always happy to finish it.

On the subject of water, my dogs are in the woods near my house almost every day. Given what they choose to eat and drink while running around i find the idea of filtering all of their water to be comical. When hiking I definitely give them water from my bottles when needed and keep them away from swamp water and the like, but if I can collect water from a clean flowing source I just give it to them.

Do make sure to keep them out of (and away from) springs and wells where they could potentially muddy up a water source. Collect the water first and bring it to them.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-21-2014 at 18:54.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Make sure your dog is vaccinated for Lepto. It sometimes isn't included with regular vaccines. Lepto can cause kidney failure and death. Dogs are much more resistant to Girardia than humans and most do not have symptoms if infected. Depending on the characteristics of the water source, it may be okay to let your buddy drink out of it (for example, a quickly moving stream would be ok but not a small puddle from a spring or a pipe fed spring). Let your consideration of others guide your decision to let your doggy drink out of the spring. If my dog needs additional calories I feed him extra food, usually a smaller meal at lunch. It is better to add a smaller meal then feed larger portions because larger portions increase the risk of bloat, a potentially fatal condition some breeds are prone to getting. Large amounts of extra stuff like PB and doggy junk food (wet food, treats, etc) may cause GI distress if the dog is not used to consuming larger quantities.

I increase my pup's food by about 50% while we are backpacking (but we spend most of the summer out hiking somewhere, so they are really upped for the whole summer). High calorie, grain free food, is really great as it is better for them, and takes up less room/weight in the pack for the same amount of calories. I feed small snacks whenever I stop for a snack myself, and they love it. I don't filter water for them (most of our hiking is in Alaska, and filtering is really optional), but in dry sections they know how to drink from my platypus (I hold down the bite valve creating a stream of water, they don't actually get to touch it).
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. - John Muir

Default Native Dog food + Turbo Pup bars =Winning combination

I am hiking SOBO this year with my service dog, whom is a great dane. As far as nutrition goes check out Native Dog food lvl 4, then pair it up with Turbo Pup bars. Should not have a problem keeping weight on your dog. You can't get anything better then these two. Native is the best for high calorie, high protein, and high fat. The Turbo Bars are meant to be a meal replacement bar, they pack enough calories, protein and fat of a whole balanced meal for your pup, but on the AT they will make amazing energy bars for your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by redzombie View Post
    I am hiking SOBO this year with my service dog, whom is a great dane.
    Through hiking with a Great Dane and calling it a service dog too? Good luck with that. There are places in Maine where it will be next to impossible to get a dog that big past some of the obsticales. Mahoosuc notch is one, don't even try. In fact, you'd best skip all of Maine and NH.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Great Danes aren't known for being very active....

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Great Danes aren't known for being very active....
    Thier also known to develope serious hip problems due to thier length and weight. And I can't imagine trying to keep one feed enough. The dogs which seem to fair the best on the AT are smallish, 20-30 pounders who are also very agile.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Thier also known to develope serious hip problems due to thier length and weight. And I can't imagine trying to keep one feed enough. The dogs which seem to fair the best on the AT are smallish, 20-30 pounders who are also very agile.
    I have 60 pound border collie mix.... I hope she does well.

Hey, btw... thanks for your info on that other thread. Because of what you said I'm implementing a back up plan for my dog. Not for an unlikely injury, but for the more than likely eventuality that she won't be able to finish the trail.

... I might have to put off the thru-hike for another year, but that's not the worst thing in the world.

That is a generalization about Danes not being known for their activity. Every dog is different, mine has been raised with a active lifestyle, and will do fine. As far as feeding, wont be a problem, as the food I am feeding him is top notch and used for sled dogs. As far as hip problems not a problem. With him on glucosamine, his age, vet approval, his active lifestyle, ect he is poised for success. Also I can't do the AT without him, it is because of him that the AT is possible. Slo-go'en, what do you mean "calling it a service dog"? I can't help but feel you are implying that he is in fact not a service dog. Many of people have hiked the trail with disabilities including a few blind folks and their guide dogs. I will admit their are a ton of people who lie and cheat and falsify their pets as service dogs, but please don't let a few bad apples ruin your perception, especially when someone who is legit comes along. I do appreciate the advice as in avoiding Mahoosuc Notch. Granted me and my dog may have some limitations, and we have to work around those limitations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++