WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Where do thru hikers typically stay the night before starting the trail

We are flying into Atlanta and were wondering where is the best place to stay the night before starting the trail

Get a reservation at the hiker hostel - not gonna get from Atlanta any cheaper. Seriously good deal.

http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

If you are going to hike the Approach Trail, you can stay at Amicalola Lodge in the state park, eat at the AYCE buffet, and walk right out the door in the morning. But if you don't have a ride to Amicalola that could be a problem.

Forrest

Forrest, Ami Lodge has an AYCE buffet?

-

Atlanta is a big place, there has to be some bars with a 24 hour license

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Forrest, Ami Lodge has an AYCE buffet?
    I started at Ami Lodge last year and at the time it had an AYCE buffet but it wasn't anything amazing. I kind of regret not staying somewhere else. The view from the dining room was stellar though.

It depends on your flight, but you might be able to stay on the trail. I spent the night before I started Northbound trading off drivers in my car (while the return driver slept) and after an early start was able to get to Stover Creek before the sun set. When I left on the BMT, I spent the night before on Amtrak, and got a shuttle to the trail.

Images

I have stayed at both the Lodge in Amicalola Falls State Park, and at The Hiker Hostel. Thoughts:

Lodge: very cool modern multi- story hotel built on the side of the mountain. Terrific view from your room. There is a restaurant, and when we stayed there it had an AYCE breakfast buffet of eggs, bacon, potatoes, pancakes -- that sort of thing. You can walk out of the hotel and get on the Approach Trail within a couple of hundred meters. Getting from Atlanta to the Lodge requires a shuttle; there are several current shuttle drives listed on the ATC web site.

Hiker Hostel: a large log home several miles from Springer, run as a hostel. It's warm, cozy, and full of hikers at the cost of some privacy (like any hostel.) You'll spend the evening and the next morning with other starting thru-hikers, which I found very enjoyable (but I am a strong extrovert.) They serve a terrific homemade breakfast, then drive you to your starting point (either the top of Springer or the bottom of the Approach Trail.) Getting from Atlanta to the Hiker Hostel is easy -- they have a daily pickup at the last MARTA station. Their thru-hiker special includes pickup, overnight stay, breakfast, and shuttle to the trail, and is quite the bargain.

I liked both places quite a bit.
    Last edited by bigcranky; 01-28-2014 at 22:43.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It depends on when your flight arrives and what arrangements you've made to get to the trail. My first thruhike I arrived in Atlanta early afternoon and took a bus to Gainesville, then a taxi to Amicalola, arriving after dark, so we camped a mile or so from the waterfalls. On my second hike I ended up taking the train from Atlanta to Gainesville, which got to town late (about 10 pm) so I walked into town and got a motel, then took a cab to the Park in the a.m. A couple of years ago a friend picked us up at the airport at 12:30 and drove us up FS42 to the trail atop Springer. We arrived at the trail late afternoon.

in addition to the Hiker Hostel or the Amicalola Falls State park lodge, which are both great options, there's a couple other options. For the economy hiker, you can stay at Max Epperson Shelter for free, which is located a short walk from the AFSP Visitor Center, along the Approach Trail. If you can make it to Dahlonega, GA, which is a short drive from AFSP, there's several decent economy motels there. I've stayed at the Super 8 motel in Dahlonega before several AT section hikes, the McDonalds is just across the parking lot from the Super 8. There's a few other decent economical motels in Dahlonega too. There's other nearby towns also like Ellijay, GA and Blairsville, GA.

Images

All good recommendations here. If you are looking for low priced options, you have to consider the shuttle too...it could be as expensive as the room accommodations. Hiker Hostel as mentioned earlier is far and away the best deal. $80 for the shuttle from Atlanta MARTA station, bunk, breakfast and shuttle to the trailhead cannot be beat.

The great deal at Hiker Hostel runs from Feb 24 thru April 20th.
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-29-2014 at 09:59.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Thank you! I appreciate all the great info.

Hiker Hostel! I had a great night there before my hike and the breakfast the next morning was fantastic!
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Images

+1 for Hiker Hostel. I have my reservation set for April 2nd.

A couple other options, depending on which direction you are coming from, how far you are willing to stay away from AFSP or Springer parking lot, or if you are willing to hike a little that first day ....

hotels within an hour: Elijay, BlueRidge, Jasper
    camping: 42@Springer near parking lot, 3 Forks, Gooch Gap
    Other(hike to): Len Foote Hike Inn, Springer Shelter
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

++ New Posts ++