WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

i'm a hammocker and also carry a cut down Z rest. i can hang the hammock anywhere there are trees and have a chair, or thrown down the Z rest where there are no trees.

i saw an old couch on a road that crossed the trail near Burkes Garden, opted not to use it for sterile issues

I was backpacking Doublecamp road in the Citico wilderness and passed this random chair on my way up to Farr Gap and the trailhead to the Stiffknee trail. Just dump the pack son, and take a break.

One of these goes with me almost everywhere now.

http://slinglight.com/sl/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    The chair or the model?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

I was backpacking Doublecamp road in the Citico wilderness and passed this random chair on my way up to Farr Gap and the trailhead to the Stiffknee trail. Just dump the pack son, and take a break.
    Now that's some kinda providence!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post

http://slinglight.com/sl/
    I love this part of the ad: "Chair weight 18 oz. which is the same weight as a 16 oz. can of beer." I wish my 18oz quilt weighed the same as a 16oz can of beer!

Images

i do love a car-camping chair but no chairs of any sort are in my backpack - - I carry a tyvek ground sheet for my tent and will occasionally sit on that or perhaps my sleeping pad folder - or my pack but for fast and light, this sort of thing just doesn't make the list. You might talk me into a crazy creek chair for a one night in and out camping trip but for actual "mileage" it's out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Tipi, what's with the miserable looking friends? We're you dishing their religion or politics? They look tired - prolly from hauling those chairs.

This cracked me up!

But I still say the Slinglight chair is worth it's weight.
    It's my number one favorite piece of gear. No matter how much I trim pack weight in other areas, that chair is going with me.
    There is no telling how many hours I've spent SLEEPING in my Slinglight.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

On my first AT thru-hike, my sleeping pad was inserted into a compartment type thing that when snapped together formed a chair.Carried it all of the AT, PCT, IAT, CDT and other trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    ....But I still say the Slinglight chair is worth it's weight.
    Especially if you carry it and I can occasionally sit in it!

I always enjoyed that scene in The Eiger Sanction when Clint Eastwood hauls his sweaty butt to the top of a mountain for a workout on a blistering hot day and sits down next to George Kennedy exclaiming, "it sure would be nice to have a cold one right about now but who would be crazy enough to haul cold beer all the way up here has to be crazy." George Kennedy says, "you're right, I sure wouldn't be crazy enough to haul it up here." Then Kennedy reaches into Eastwood's backpack he's wearing and pulls out a cold can of Coors from the six pack Kennedy had snuck into Eastwoods pack pre hike.

Images

41hvLIrMyyL._SY450_.jpg

I take this little jasper everywhere, it breaks down into a thin pouch and is easily stowable

Images

Don't know if the weight would be worth it on a thru-hike, but it isn't out of the question given the weights of some of these:

Big Agnes and Cascade Designs make chair kits that turn your sleep pad into a chair with seatback, albeit one on the ground, that weigh as little as 5 1/2 oz.
    https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...loneSLChairKit
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...-kits/category

There are also some that turn an inflatable like a neoair into a stool at under 4 oz, although it sure looks like you could do this with a compression sack or strong stuff bag as well.
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...e-seat/product

You'll find some cool tractor seats to sit on and bounce up and down a few miles south of the Blackrock shelter at the extreme south end of Shenandoah.

Fastest and lightest I've found is to just cut a piece of a closed cell sleeping pad into a sitting pad. I store it folded in half between my pack top and the lid for quick access during stops.

A CCF butt pad goes with me on all trips. Weighs about 1.5 oz, also serves as the back pad for my Gossamer Gear pack. Rolled up it makes a decent pillow.

Stuff that is heavier is unlikely to seem worth the weight after relatively few days on trail.

On a short trip with lots of time in camp, I have been known to take an REI ultralight chair (1.5 pounds - I know, I know).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't carry anything like that but I do look forward to dropping my pack & sitting with my back against something a few times during the day. Many times you'll be able to take advantage of these items being left behind at shelters. I remember Cable Gap had some folding chairs in it & the shelter N of Atkins, "Chatfield", I believe, had a wooden Adirondack type chair set up near the creek, it was nice & took me an hour or so to get out of it one a beautiful Fall day, there wasn't a soul around & the leaves were slowly drifting all around
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't go on any backpacking trip without my thermarest seat cushion.17.jpg

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I thought the point of lowering base weight was to afford the luxuries such as a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    most say they just sit on a rock. i tried carrying a rock, but it was exhausting.
    Seriously that is one of the worst things about the rain, even after it stops the rocks and logs are still wet.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    I thought the point of lowering base weight was to afford the luxuries such as a chair.
    You'd think that, but it seems sometimes to have become a one-upmanship contest of who can lay claim to the lowest base weight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++