WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Furniture on the trail

The older I get, the more I appreciate things like tables and chairs, especially when camping. With the evolution of gear towards lighter weights have come tables, chairs, cots, etc. that really are light enough to consider bringing along on a long hike, as a non essential comfort item. Has anyone started a thru with any of these items? How long were they kept before being discarded or sent home? Any thoughts or recommendations?

My daughter carries an inflatable seat cushion thing as her luxury item. It's nice!! Sometimes when you're out there for long periods of time (months) it's the little things that can make a big difference!

I have noticed some to these items left in shelters. No serious long distance hikers would waste the weight. I have seen a sling chair that hangs from a limb or rafter, but it's differs little from a hammock.

I sometimes carry a lightweight hammock for relaxing (not overnight sleeping) while hiking or in camp. It's about 16 ounces. Notice I said sometimes. This usually happens when I'm out for just a fun time in the woods.

plenty of serious weekenders might, isn't this a forum for trail enthusiasts of all types? or just thru hikers? this "community" has a real issue with elitism. thru hikers are not the only user group of the trail, not even close.

The OP asked about thru-hikers. A bit sensitive?

Speaking specifically about long distance hikes and thru-hikes, I'm yet to notice anyone engaged in such endeavors to carry a chair or table the entire distance. I don't even witness hikers who may have some medical condition and enjoy sitting down carry a foldable chair or table on a long distance or thru-hike. On the AT and a few other trails you have lean tos where you can sit and sometimes even have a more formal table(picnic table style). I've become accustomed to enjoying a log, cliff, rock, stump, bear canister, etc to sit on as a chair and use as tables. And, of course there's always good ole terra firma. It's nice to get in touch more with the earth(Earth). We sometimes have lost that in the U.S. We tend to insulate ourselves from the earth(Earth) in so many ways.

Journal Entries

I thru hiked with a small section of a ridge -rest, That small foam pad did make a great deal of difference in comfort and I also used it with my tent as a entry way. It allows me a cushy and dry seat on logs, rocks, shelters even on the ground. It was also easy to use and access, so I used it more then I would assume how I would need to pack a chair. Personally I would rather have that foam then a chair.

Images

most say they just sit on a rock. i tried carrying a rock, but it was exhausting.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    most say they just sit on a rock. i tried carrying a rock, but it was exhausting.
    Did someone sneak that rock into your pack?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

A sit pad for my keister, and one of the millions of trees to lean back on, good to go, all the furniture I need right there.

Some people swear by those backpacking, foldable chairs. Others need upright tripod chairs or stools (NOT to be confused with your own "stools"---ie turtleheads. DO NOT SIT ON YOUR OWN STOOLS!

Here is Little Mitten bringing her folding chair into camp . . . or is she a Professor of Advanced Studies in Backpackaging??? Or worse---a Forest Lawyer serving a summons??

Other ideas with backpacking furniture---Wall Tent Dave and Randy Cadenza.

I use one of these. The Amazing Wilderness Camp/Hammock Wilderness Chair. It uses a make shift tripod but if you can't find the wood and you have an imagination, there are many ways to set it up. I normally lash the top to a tree, run a stick through the bottom and make a X stand which will lash to the cross stick. Check out EconoChallenge on youtube. There are also reviews on the hammock forum

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    That's the eventual conclusion all reach(the many I've seen) on long hikes/thru-hikes that initially carried chairs and tables - they weren't worth the wt carried on a long hike/thru-hike.

IMGP0390.jpg

Natural lounge chair anyone? It works!

Tipi, what's with the miserable looking friends? We're you dishing their religion or politics? They look tired - prolly from hauling those chairs.

I met a woman last spring starting out with a folding chair, she said she'd never part with it. Guess what? A couple of weeks later it was gone...

One nice thing about the AT is there are pleanty of big rocks and downed trees to sit on. Since these are often wet and/or cold, a small insulating pad for under your bumm is all you need to carry.

One of the things I didn't like about hiking in Glacier last summer was the total lack of things to sit on along the trail. The 100 degree temps and no shade was the other, but the views were nice.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Another thing you can use is reflectix found at home stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Tipi, what's with the miserable looking friends? We're you dishing their religion or politics? They look tired - prolly from hauling those chairs.
    They're good guys though it could be my camera alarmed them

I hope so Tipi. Little Mitten looks guilty as hell, like you just caught her trying to sneak up on ya to steal your Gummy Bears.

I actually met her. She's a nice person.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++