WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Missing Hiker

I've missed a switchback or two on the AT. The giveaway was the trail got rougher and I quit seeing the white blazes, which are the most helpful part. Also, once you hike a while, your "sixth sense" kinda kicks in. A mandatory map and compass helps, too. At least in GA, the AT is well worn like a hiking superhighway and most approach trails are blue blazed.

November 2012-Robert Fitzgerald, the 60-year-old returned to the Confederate Breastworks Trail on Shenandoah Mountain last Monday to find a cell phone he dropped during a hike and has not been seen since. Apparently, the day before he went hiking with a friend at the Confederate Breastworks Trail on Shenandoah Mountain and dropped his cell phone and went back to find it. Prior to him looking for his phone, a woman who was hiking the same trail found the phone a placed it in her pack. She then forgot about it until the next day. Robert hasn't been seen since although, they did find his shirt. He was a runner, experienced hiker and worked out daily. He still hasn't been found as of today. It amazes me that he hasn't turned up.

Just thought to check in again to see if there was any news about Inchworm. I did happen to see the "Lost and Found" episode on a TV show. I forget which one, but the replay was posted on the Women Hiker's List at the time.

I recall reading that they are planning another search for her in May.

As proposed at the 2013 Gathering, ALDHA is forming a Search and Rescue Team to aid, assist and support the local agencies looking for missing or lost hikers on the Appalachian Trail.

For some background information please refer to the article in the winter edition of ALDHA's Long Distance Hiker by Bill O'Brien concerning Geraldine Largay. It is very important that those who do volunteer to join this mission understand that they will be required to be in shape, and take some necessary courses in order to help. We will be spending a few days on top of the mountain looking for her and you will be required to bring your hiking, camping and team equipment to the area.

The plan is to meet up on Wednesday May 28, 2014 and hike up the mountain and spend 3 or 4 days up there searching. If you would like to participate please call Mike Wingeart at 443-791-9196

Quote Originally Posted by ladydi View Post
    Just thought to check in again to see if there was any news about Inchworm. I did happen to see the "Lost and Found" episode on a TV show. I forget which one, but the replay was posted on the Women Hiker's List at the time.
    If anyone is interested , the show was called "North Woods Law" which is on Animal Planet and is a reality show that follows Maine's Game Wardens. The episode is called "Lost and Found", and was very interesting. I hate to say it but the end of the show when they were checking along those rocky ravines near Spaulding mountain, I bet she took a bad tumble along something like, and that and hopefully her body will eventually be found.

I think of this story a lot and I keep referring back to the story in "The Last Season", shes out there just waiting to be found.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sure hope something is found of her this year

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++