WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Charlie's Creek Rd Trailhead

Can anyone give me info about Charlie's Creek Rd between Dick's Creek Gap, GA and the GA/NC line? It appears to be only 2.6 miles from the state line, and appears to have parking, and appears to be a very possible roundtrip dayhike to said state line.

But appearances can be deceiving. Any advice on this spot?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-01-2014 at 15:13.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Somewhat dated info (7 or 8 years ago) the road was not passable to a normal car after the last house. If I remember correctly it was about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the spot where we stopped driving to the AT. Vehicles had been up there but the road was in rough shape and steep. The road to the east looked far worse and I expect about the only thing that would drive on it was four wheel drive. We slacked Georgia and did the hike south from Deep Gap to this Gap. If I remember we got done fairly early in the day and were considering keeping going to the next road crossing. Getting there is challenge, lots of turns on back roads.

Thanks for the reply! Which info was dated, the site or yours?

My info is also dated but I believe it to be accurate.

It is 3.2 miles from Blue Ridge Gap to the GA/NC border.

However, you will not be able to take the road all the way to BRG as it is not in driveable condition. You can get about a mile (someone else please confirm) from where the road intersects the AT. So you are looking at about an 8 1/2 mile roundtrip hike.

Any idea about the Treasure Corner cabins down the road?

My wife and I used that access point to the trail last fall. You take Upper Hightower Rd. (paved) off of Hwy 76 and wind through a collection of houses for about 2 or 3 miles. The road then narrows to a single lane and then becomes dirt. Just after that point there is a sharp right turn and then a widening which allows for parking of about 3 or 4 vehicles. The road continues up to Blue Ridge Gap but is quite steep (600+ ft rise over about 0.8 miles). It is extremely rutted out and unless you have a high clearance 4wd vehicle, I definitely would not recommend it. The road continues past the Gap but I don't know it's condition.

Is there anywhere to park at the point where it becomes impassable? And is this the approx. 1 mile from the trail Max Patch spoke of? The photo shows an ordinary car parked, but looks can be deceiving, I know.

Yes there is space on the right for about 3 or 4 cars right after the sharp right turn. It is fairly obvious where to park. If you go too far the road will let you know. My wife and I hiked from there up the road to Blue Ridge Gap and then hiked north past Bly Gap to the top of Courthouse Bald and back. the toughest part of that hike was the 0.8 mile walk up the road.

Thanks so much, Peakbagger, Max and ChuckP. This might just be the RT hike we were looking for. The terrain looked too iffy for us to do a multi-day from Dicks Creek to Deep Gap with packs. This looks like a day hike....a long day hike, but feasible nonetheless. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    Yes there is space on the right for about 3 or 4 cars right after the sharp right turn. It is fairly obvious where to park. If you go too far the road will let you know. My wife and I hiked from there up the road to Blue Ridge Gap and then hiked north past Bly Gap to the top of Courthouse Bald and back. the toughest part of that hike was the 0.8 mile walk up the road.
    Does anyone know if this information is still current? I am planning to park a car at this gap, but I don't have 4 wd.

I haven't been up to Blue Ridge Gap in a few years, but when recently I contacted shuttle driver we've used in the past about driving us up there, he said he can't get all the way to the gap, only to the end of the road leaving approx. mile hike to the Gap

++ New Posts ++