WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Most difficult section of trail

I'm doing a 2015 thru-hike and am getting myself physically prepared toward that end, but I want to make sure that by the time I go, I can handle most anything without issue - both so that I can finish in the time I have and so that I can more thoroughly enjoy my experience on the trail. So my question is, what sections of the trail have you guys found most difficult and why? I want to make sure I get myself prepared for all of them (i.e. certain terrains, distances, water availability) by mimicking them here at home (MI).

The approach trail to Springer Mountain causes more people to quit than the hike up Wildcat or Mahoosic notch. The trick for conditioning is, don't hurt yourself.

Images

The climb of Mt Katahdin was the hardest thing on the trail I think. Body very tired but mind takes you up.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The most difficult section? That's easy....it's the one you're on.....and the next one. The one you just finished was a piece of cake.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Every section I've done has been hard. Adjusting your pace for the terrain allows each days exertion to equal another's. YMMV however.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    The approach trail to Springer Mountain causes more people to quit than the hike up Wildcat or Mahoosic notch. The trick for conditioning is, don't hurt yourself.
    Is this actually true, LOL? Would/Do people quit before they ever made it to Springer?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JasonAppleseed View Post
    Is this actually true, LOL? Would/Do people quit before they ever made it to Springer?
    Some people do. Enough are intimidated by it to avoid it as well.
    That and the 600 stair steps up the falls.
    Its not hard for a fit person with a reasonable pack however.
    I did it in 4 hrs including stopping to eat lunch, and still did another 10 miles that day.
    So did a few others.

Be in shape, run, lift weights, walk with pack, and you will have smoooooth sailing.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-26-2014 at 21:32.

Quote Originally Posted by theloneboot View Post
    I'm doing a 2015 thru-hike and am getting myself physically prepared toward that end, but I want to make sure that by the time I go, I can handle most anything without issue - both so that I can finish in the time I have and so that I can more thoroughly enjoy my experience on the trail. So my question is, what sections of the trail have you guys found most difficult and why? I want to make sure I get myself prepared for all of them (i.e. certain terrains, distances, water availability) by mimicking them here at home (MI).
    Hit the trail in reasonable shape and you will be fine. On a NOBO thru the trail you are on seems to prepare for the next phase.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Depening on your age and level of fitness at the start, it takes 2 to 4 weeks for your body to adapt to the day to day rigours of the trail. There is really not a whole lot you can do to prepare for this. Since you got a couple of years, do as much hiking and backpacking as you can in the mean time. The more experianced and comfortable in the woods you are, the better the chance you will make it through the critical first 2 weeks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonAppleseed View Post
    I don't know about Springer itself, but 25-50% of people don't make it out of GA.

yesterday was the easiest the day on trail... its a universal truth

Images

How are you going to mimick the toughest part of the trail in Michigan?

Journal Entries
    Images

Hands down, the White's in New Hampshire. I've seen it written that 80% of the effort is over the last 20% of the trail. Good points above, but to answer you question, The Whites.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    The trick for conditioning is, don't hurt yourself.
    Don't just gloss over this insightful observation...once you hurt yourself -- be it on the trail or while you're trying to get in shape for your hike -- you take a few steps back in your overall conditioning, which can be disheartening as well as add another challenge. Personally, I tend to push myself to my limits and it has been hard to adjust my thinking as my body has aged. However, if you just get out there and do *something* every day you'll be in a lot better shape than almost everyone you meet at the start of a thru-hike. Even then, start with slower, shorter days to give your ligaments and joints time to adjust to the stressors of long-distance backpacking.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think it really depends on several factors. Terrian, elevation gain, weather, mud, and self-conditioning.

IMO...its sections of climbing steep terrian and rocks. Steep terrian is a given. But rocks tend to be hard on the knees. But ultimately, the humidity is an energy drainer.

Going Nobo....I heard people say Georgia was hardest because they are just starting out and its a lot of ups and downs, and rocky terrian. So they start out going only shelter to shelter, or 8 miles or so.

Then I have heard people say the Rollercoaster was hardest. Even though the elevation change is minimal. The constant ups and downs. And by that time the late spring/summer weather and humidity rolls in, and that just zaps your energy.

Others have said, Mt. Washington, 100 mile Wilderness, or Katahdin.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 01-27-2014 at 11:28.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Whites are tough but many folks underestimate the Mahoosucs and Maine. They hit Gorham NH and think all the hard stuff is done and tend to overestimate their daily mileage to Katahdin and set unreasonable goals. A major issue is calling up friends and family to set up what day they plan to be at Katahdin as then they are committed to firm end date

Maine has some easy stretches but plenty of tough ones and there are less options for resupply and town days. Generally by the 2000 mile mark on Long Falls Dam road, they have figured it out.

The Whites to Katahdin. If it's muddy the misery factor is exponential. Normally I can bang out 20+ miles a day and in the Whites 13 - 15 miles kicked my @$$. It took me 10 hours to do the 13 miles going DOWN Mt Washington (and we had great weather that day). I've done section hikes in Maine that were awesome and some that were miserable.

What's most difficult basically boils down to what you like and don't like. I love to climb so the NOC and the Priest weren't a big deal and the roller coaster is not even noticeable to me. Katahdin was hard but also fun. I hated most of PA even though it's not really difficult.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    I'm still working on some parts of it. By propping up an inclined treadmill I can get about a 23-24% upgrade/downgrade. The problem is, I need about a 30-32%
    There are some nice steep hills here that work, but they're still only hills. So I'll be doing a whole lot of very short, repetitive, and boring loops I'm sure.

I thought some of the really long and/or really steep descents were hard.
    MEGA '13

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Keep climbing Warren Dunes in hiking boots? I imagine that could be challenging.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++