WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking shoes with the most toe room?

I would like recommendations on hiking shoes with a lot of room to slide forward. In March I'm going back to Israel and the last trip I had problems on the steep slopes in the desert. Although I had broken in the shoes on the AT around Damascus, which has plenty of steep slopes, this was nothing like the straight-down inclines of the Negev, and tying them tighter didn't help. I ended up cutting the top front off the Merrell's I had, and although it looked weird, it worked. I'm taking them back but if someone has a better suggestion I would appreciate it. Here's the website I'm doing: www.israeltrail.net. This trip I hope to pick up the Jesus Trail, the Golan Trail, and part of the Abraham Path in Jordan. Thanks for any advice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Local View Post
    I would like recommendations on hiking shoes with a lot of room to slide forward. In March I'm going back to Israel and the last trip I had problems on the steep slopes in the desert. Although I had broken in the shoes on the AT around Damascus, which has plenty of steep slopes, this was nothing like the straight-down inclines of the Negev, and tying them tighter didn't help. I ended up cutting the top front off the Merrell's I had, and although it looked weird, it worked. I'm taking them back but if someone has a better suggestion I would appreciate it. Here's the website I'm doing: www.israeltrail.net. This trip I hope to pick up the Jesus Trail, the Golan Trail, and part of the Abraham Path in Jordan. Thanks for any advice.
    if youve already tried crosstying your laces across your forefoot,you could try switching out the insoles for superfeet or another that gives good arch support. this will reduce the volume between your heel and your forefoot and help keep your foot from sliding forward into the toebox.or you may just be buying shoes that are too small. i own merrells .but really dont care for them as much as lasportiva ultra raptors.

Images

Keen Targhees have wider toe box than my Merrell Espresso's.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Hiking shoes with the most toe room?

KEENS.

Images

Yep Keens works for me. My feet are wide and the toes next to my big toe are longer than my big toe.

Altra' s have a huge toe box as well.

Images

I don't know if you'd consider boots, but I use Vasque Clarions. I have ingrown toenails and need a roomy toe box too.

Thanks. I just bought some Keen sandals but didn't think of buying their hiking shoes. I'll check into those as well as the Altra's and Lasportiva Ultra Raptors. We have limited selection here in town but there are a couple of other outfitters within an hour's drive. LIhikers, thanks, but boots are generally too hot for the desert. Even in April it can go over 110. I appreciate all of the advice and will follow up on it.

...We have limited selection here in town...

????????????????? I'm shocked by that. Trekstas have a last that is based anatomy (not art) and are shaped more like the human foot. They have a good toe box with plenty of room for ALL your toes. Good luck!

Images

Montbell AT Plus if you can find them.

I recently made the switch from my Keen Targhee II 'waterproof' boots to some Salomon 'Gecko' trail running shoes. I really wish I'd done it a long time ago. Btw, here's a write up to my blog where I discuss it. If you get bored and get tired of watching pain dry, check it out . I even drew a cartoon to go with it. Yay cartoons! :
    http://geartoons.wordpress.com/2014/...-running-shoe/

Keens have been my go to shoes

If you have not tried Vibram FiveFinger Shoes, try them. I wear them to hike the Grand Canyon and have never had a blister. When you are on the steep downhill slopes, the pressure points are between the toes. Be sure to wear them for several weeks before the big hike. One's feet have to be accustomed to them.

The way I discovered how well the FiveFinger Shoes work was accidental. I bought some very expensive boots from REI. They were good on the level ground, but killed my feet on the steep downhill slopes. I had a pair of FiveFingers in my pack to use as camp shoes. My feet were hurting enough that I removed my expensive boots and put on the FiveFinger Shoes. That was four years ago and I have never gone back to the boots. Last year, I hiked the Inca Trail in my FiveFinger Shoes. They were great.
    Shutterbug

I should clarify. My old Inov 8 have a great toe box and are a great seasonal shoe (wet conditions). My Keen shoes also have a great toe box though I use them in dry and rocky conditions.

My newer Inov 8 seem to be have a smaller toe box than my old Inov 8

My wife got me some Vibram Five Fingers for Christmas. I really like them, but haven't had the nerve to take them on a big hike yet. I agree that it's best to break them in well first. The only thing I don't like about them is that there are open places that let small debris and rocks get in and find their way under my foot. Wish they had a screen or something to keep that crap out, but it's not enough to make me stop wearing them. They're really comfortable.

Another vote here for the Keen Targhees; this is after trying numerous others first including the Merrells you mentioned; they just don't last as long...IMO.

these days I'm wearing Keen Voyageurs (low top), which are pretty much the same as the Targhees, but with vent panels further down the side and without the waterproof liner. Wonderful shoe.

Keens for me. Lots of toe room. I have been trying NB Trail Runners - 3rd pair going back. Trekas? That's a new name for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Keens for me. Lots of toe room. I have been trying NB Trail Runners - 3rd pair going back. Trekas? That's a new name for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I first heard of TrekStas a couple of years ago when Backpacker Magazine gave them their Editor's Choice Award. I'm on my second pair of Evolution Mid Goretex.

I do like mine; their light (26 oz. a pair) with pretty good ankle support. They just fit my feet better than most boots--never had a blister or hot spot with these. (Sorry--I don't mean to sound like a commercial!)

Here's a video explaining how their fit is different from that of most manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Patriot View Post
    My wife got me some Vibram Five Fingers for Christmas. I really like them, but haven't had the nerve to take them on a big hike yet. I agree that it's best to break them in well first. The only thing I don't like about them is that there are open places that let small debris and rocks get in and find their way under my foot. Wish they had a screen or something to keep that crap out, but it's not enough to make me stop wearing them. They're really comfortable.
    I wear socks with my Vibrams. They minimize the problem of sand getting in the shoes. The toe socks are available on eBay.
    Shutterbug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++