WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Default An unusual request

Today, my wife and I chose our headstone. We both want symbols that describe who we are. Since she is a nurse, she is using a nursing symbol. I want to have a hiking symbol. I have been trying to find a suitable picture that looks like the hiker on the plaque at Springer Mountain. I know that picture is the same one for the Georgia Appalachian Trail club, but I don't believe it can be used. I need a silhouette of a hiker that closely looks like it. So I need some help. Anyone with suggestions. They would be greatly appreciated. By the way I do not plan on moving in too soon. This is just something we need to do so our kids will not have to worry about it. Thanks
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Images

I believe the hiker image might be in the "public domain" if for no other reason than due to it's age. Ask GATC. Other than that you could do your own silhouette pose, or use a famous one like Earl next to the sign atop Katahdin, Ed Garvey, etc. As you are merely using such an image as a rough design for an original silhouette, I don't think copyright (if even still in effect) applies.

I'm pretty graphic arts savvy, it's really no trouble for me to whip up a vector silhouette of what you want, it'll literally take me about 10 minutes. When I get home from work I'll get on finding a picture of what you're talking about, but if in the meantime you're are able to find one (higher resolution the better) it wouldn't hurt, just so we're sure everyone is talking about the same image.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

A google search of "international symbol hiker" brings up some nice, simple images.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    A google search of "international symbol hiker" brings up some nice, simple images.
    I have seen a few a already. This is the one I may settle for, if I can't get a better one.

Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    Today, my wife and I chose our headstone. We both want symbols that describe who we are. Since she is a nurse, she is using a nursing symbol. I want to have a hiking symbol. I have been trying to find a suitable picture that looks like the hiker on the plaque at Springer Mountain. I know that picture is the same one for the Georgia Appalachian Trail club, but I don't believe it can be used. I need a silhouette of a hiker that closely looks like it. So I need some help. Anyone with suggestions. They would be greatly appreciated. By the way I do not plan on moving in too soon. This is just something we need to do so our kids will not have to worry about it. Thanks
    No, not a unusual request at all...I'd probably go with something like this on my wooden box, jar or urn (or tattoo in life)...at least in the style of, and with a hiking stick, maybe a backpack as well.

dancing-skeleton-clipart.jpg

sounds like one of these folks we'll be able to hook you up, if not..lemme know.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 01-25-2014 at 21:22.

I hope you are not in a hurry for this. You're younger than me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I hope you are not in a hurry for this. You're younger than me.
    You know we are like cars. Age is not that important, its how many miles we have on us. I am high mileage.

Images

Default An unusual request

Take a pic of yourself standing on springer and use that as your silhouette
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

here's the silhouette of the GATC guy, if interested I can email the vector file of it so it can be scaled to any resolution, this is most likely what the engravers of the headstone will want, they'll be able to feed that right into the computer that does the engraving.
    hiker.jpg
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    here's the silhouette of the GATC guy, if interested I can email the vector file of it so it can be scaled to any resolution, this is most likely what the engravers of the headstone will want, they'll be able to feed that right into the computer that does the engraving.
    hiker.jpg
    Thank You, that's Want I wanted. Can you send it by PM. James

-

You know we are like cars. Age is not that important, its how many miles we have on us. I am high mileage.
    rode hard and put away wet?

If $ Is not a consideration there is a technique that is popular in the East (Japan) that I've read about. It seals your selected picture (can be color photo) into the stone and is as permanent as anyone would wish for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Freedom Walker,

Since you yourself are not the intended audience of this grave marker, I would suggest that you look for something as generic as possible so that the greatest number of people immediately understand your symbol.
    As an example, if I didn't know that we're talking about hiking, my first thoughts upon seeing this silhouette is that of a guy hauling a load of firewood. Sure, today you can point out the fine points that indicates this is really a hiker... but once this headstone is installed, you won't be there to point out these finer details.

So IMHO, you should go with something that will be more universally seen as a hiker symbol:
    (I'd paste in an example of what I'm talking about, but I'm unable to upload images at this point, so google "hiker road signs" to see the kind of silhouette I would suggest).

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    my first thoughts upon seeing this silhouette is that of a guy hauling a load of firewood..
    I get your drift, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone hauling firewood in the fashion. A cross between the two images would work well.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I get your drift, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone hauling firewood in the fashion. A cross between the two images would work well.
    I guess, more specifically, the picture reminds me of the guy carrying a load of sticks (it wasn't that long ago that "The Three Little Pigs" was getting read about twice a week).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Freedom Walker,

Since you yourself are not the intended audience of this grave marker, I would suggest that you look for something as generic as possible so that the greatest number of people immediately understand your symbol.

As an example, if I didn't know that we're talking about hiking, my first thoughts upon seeing this silhouette is that of a guy hauling a load of firewood. Sure, today you can point out the fine points that indicates this is really a hiker... but once this headstone is installed, you won't be there to point out these finer details.

So IMHO, you should go with something that will be more universally seen as a hiker symbol:
    (I'd paste in an example of what I'm talking about, but I'm unable to upload images at this point, so google "hiker road signs" to see the kind of silhouette I would suggest).
    I see your point. But let me clarify something. This symbol is going on a flower vase on one side of the headstone, about 6 in by 8 in, not the headstone itself. Maybe they could do an AT symbol as well. I see what they can do. Thanks for all the feedback.

hiker.jpg
    Can you put that in paint brush, give em an out reached arm with staff, and throw a round sleep pad on top or bottom of the whole thing...bingo...I could draw it...but I suck at paint brush.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Can you put that in paint brush, give em an out reached arm with staff, and throw a round sleep pad on top or bottom of the whole thing...bingo...I could draw it...but I suck at paint brush.
    Money can get almost anything done if you are willing to spend it.

Money can get almost anything done if you are willing to spend it.
    Yep, I know you'll get what you want...other wise what's the point...I like your idea, and have considered it as well. We do have to look out for our futures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++