WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    I'll save weight somewhere else. I don't get people that are ok leaving there gear outside. Just me though. I'd rather know that I have room to be comfortable after 12 hours on the trail than save 1.5 lbs and not sleep well or worry that my gear may be compromised.
    i also own a contrail. I have never done a thru hike but I have spent my share of nights outside. A few of which were in 12 + hours in my tent and it's been adequate room. Changed in the tent and then everything I need in the tent and everything else tucked in the vestibule inside my back inside my trash bag for insurance. It comes down to do you need that extra room? Necessary? Naw.

I hiked with a 3person tent on my thru. didn't regret it.
    COG 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Pick View Post
    In my Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike Planner it says to consider a compact two-person tent for more elbow room. Yes, the cons would be that it would take up more space in a pack and be heavier than a one-person tent, but has anyone found the extra space to be worth the extra weight?

I will be hiking alone but I am inviting people to join me for a week or two weeks or a month or so. It might be a plus if I could tell my guy friends that I have extra room in my tent, thus eliminating their need to buy or bring one. Of course shelters are an option too if I find some temporary companions.

Dear Ice Pick in Ohio

If your already inviting friends to spend the night for six months, it's already in the bag...get a room

I mean I'd go for the roomier tent

Journal Entries
    Images

When I started my thru a used a Kelty 2 person tent that I already owned. It weighed around 4lbs. It was a great tent with lot's of room inside. I could keep everything in the tent at night and still had room.
    After reaching Harpers Ferry I decided to lighten up my load. The first thing was to buy a new tent. I brought a one person Eureka. It was light but very small. I could no longer fit my pack inside. It was a trade off that I was sorry that I made.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    There's no way I could not feel crowded in the notch. Now I do like the Rainbow, which may become the replacement for my current tent. That looks like a setup I would enjoy and at just over 2 lbs, looks ideal.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
    I hang my pack on one of the hiking poles, put anything you dont want in the tent in the pack, I'm 6'1" and there's plenty of room for me. If I hadn't learned the trick of dealing with the pack it would not work so well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++