WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hogback Ridge Shelter

This is a nice shelter. Log construction in good repair with pick nick table. Faces away from the trail and is about 50 yards off of the AT. Water is a bit of a hike but not really that bad and seems to be a good reliable source. The Carolina Mountain Club deserves a lot of credit for building this shelter. Thanks to you folks.

I was there just this past weekend and had a great time. Mosquitoes died down when it got dark and a little cooler. They should be gone soon. Watch out for Stinging Nettles that line the trail north. Wear long pants.
    not all who wander are lost - JRR Tolkein

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

it was below 0F and 18 inches of snow when we were there last.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Hogback Ridge Shelter - April 1st 2005

After losing the Trail for an hour in a blizzard I eventually managed to find this shelter. The snow was up to my waist and I couldn't feel anything except for my torso. Luckily there was a couple there that I knew who took me in and helped me recover.

It doesn't sound so bad, but it was certainly... disconcerting.

That's it.
    Sci Fi

Images

I remember that shelter clearly, too. Didn't like the campsites I came across earlier, so kept hiking, it was way past dark, then a thunderstorm came along. And it's not called Hogback RIDGE for nothing -- it was a ridge, and I was walking on top of it in the dark, with a thunderstorm fast approaching. I was never happier to see a shelter!

I also still remember the two hikers who shared their water with me so I wouldn't have to do that half-mile hike to the spring. What's the deal with that, anyway? It looked to me like it would be an easy shot if the trail went straight there? Is there a reason for the lengthy trail all the way around?

I say, let's thank everyone who build any of the shelters on the AT, good or bad, they're actually all good.

There have been a few relo`s put in that area over the past few yrs so it is better than it was. Most recent ones due to the new hwy. The shelter is nice (as shelters go) and the privy offers an excellent view to the east best enjoyed during sunrise ! The hike down to the water source isnt that bad as it isnt downhill all that much and is reliable. Altho it`s not my section for maintenance, I have hiked it many times. Thanks for the kind words for the CMC, I will pass that along to my supervisor. I do think the CMC does a great job with maintaining their 94 miles of AT from Davenport Gap to my section at Spivey Gap. BTW, if anyone in my area wants to go with me on a work trip, feel free to let me know , can use all the help I can get !

RAT

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I took a zero there at the end of April. It was a very relaxing "dry-out" day. Water is a hike, but it a nice spot.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

I stayed there Oct 23. Cold as hell that night, but in peak leaf season.
    As has been stated, it's about 30 meters off the trail, but water is another matter -- I'd guess perhaps 300 meters from the shelter on a blue-blazed trail (a small stream). But it's not a bad walk -- no downhill, just a lateral.

There is a privy, a table, a decent fire ring, but no bear cables. I didn't see any tent pads, but I expect that it wouldn't be terribly difficult to find a large enough level spot. I didn't try, though, because I was too exhausted at the time.

The shelter is situated on a slight hillside and faces away from the trail. To me, I really enjoyed the view from the shelter -- a grove of maple and birch, very peaceful. Because of the view, I'd rank the shelter in my top-5 list of shelters from Amicalola to Hogback Ridge shelter.

Images

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by RAT View Post
    . . . the privy offers an excellent view to the east best enjoyed during sunrise ! . . .
    Best view from a privy I've seen so far, and yes, sunrise is the best time to appreciate the view.

Really satisfies the old saw about everything being equal, pick a latrine with a view!

like a herd of turtles

This shelter is a short hike from my new home-site. I was up there just a few days ago.

A couple of pics at the shelter:

with some decorations from Droid and UFO

And this view is just a short distance north along the trail (looking toward Erwin)

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

How much room is there for tenting near this shelter?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Lunched there on a lovely sunny day in late October this year. Yes, the trail to the water source is a little roundabout and lengthy, but very easy if you've been carrying a pack all day. Plus, a trail angel had stowed soda and beer in the spring! I left them for the SOBOs I was walking with that day, as it was only my second day out.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    How much room is there for tenting near this shelter?
    Was looking around and saw my post, and that it was unanswered. I guess I'll answer it myself. There is ample room to set up several tents near/around this shelter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Minor addition about this shelter:

There are now bear cables, meaning it is a matter of seconds -- and almost fool-proof -- to make your food bag safe from bears, raccoons, and mice.

++ New Posts ++