WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default GSMNP shelter etiquette ?

I understand you must reserve space at the shelters. What if you get to a shelter you have a reservation for and find it full? What would be the correct way to handle this situation?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Ask if anyone wants to sleep in thier tent. Lots of people would rather do that.
    Or ask everyone to move over, sleeping 15 or more in a shelter for 12 is not unusual, especially during bad weather.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I'd say a prayer of thanks and happily pitch my tent in site of the shelter.

I imagine if you announce that you have a reservation and you'd like to use it the offending person will move. If not, then I bet everyone that does have a valid permit will show theirs and peer pressure will drive the offending person out. Thats my best guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Ask if anyone wants to sleep in thier tent. Lots of people would rather do that.
    Thats good, I like that as a first step even better than my suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Or ask everyone to move over, sleeping 15 or more in a shelter for 12 is not unusual, especially during bad weather.
    I hate the GSMNP and haven't been back since my thru. Someone posted that they now have raised wooden dividers between spaces that would make this impossible. Don't know if that is true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Thats good, I like that as a first step even better than my suggestions.
    Except, of course, taking the opportunity to sleep in a tent myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I understand you must reserve space at the shelters. What if you get to a shelter you have a reservation for and find it full? What would be the correct way to handle this situation?
    Direct confrontation, command voice. Talk to them like you are in charge.

Works for me every time. Haven't had to hurt anyone yet. Without fail, a few folks have come to a sudden realization that there is somewhere else that they need to be.

Just sleep in your tent, to me asking some one to move over or move out is very rude.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Just sleep in your tent, to me asking some one to move over or move out is very rude.
    Not rude at all considering that you are required to have a permit to be in the shelter in the first place.

Most of the shelters have extra floor space in front of the actual board platforms that allows for an extra person or two, also the shelters that I have seen in the smokies are plenty large enough for several extra people on the platforms as well.

I'd say a prayer of thanks and happily pitch my tent in site of the shelter.

I imagine if you announce that you have a reservation and you'd like to use it the offending person will move. If not, then I bet everyone that does have a valid permit will show theirs and peer pressure will drive the offending person out. Thats my best guess.
    LOL, Yup. I'm ready for a confronting of illegals in a lean to anytime. That's why I bring hiker lynching cord with me when I go through GSMNP on the AT in April.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    Direct confrontation, command voice. Talk to them like you are in charge.

Works for me every time. Haven't had to hurt anyone yet. Without fail, a few folks have come to a sudden realization that there is somewhere else that they need to be.
    LOL, then you'd probably go on a rant about the reservations system and that you laid out $10 bucks to hike GSMNP. Then, we'd all have to hear about the good ol days.

In the good old days peaople lived in the park. Now they need a permit to visit their dead.

Images

Now they need a permit to visit their dead.

nope.....that is false statement.....

in fact, the park runs free shuttles to a bunch of the cemeteries...........

Someone posted that they now have raised wooden dividers between spaces that would make this impossible. Don't know if that is true or not.
    No, there used to be dividers but they were taken out years ago. Some shelters had bunks made out of layers and layers of chicken wire and took out many an air mattress.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

its been a while since ive been in a shelter in the park, but some of the dividers were still in place............

and yes, the chicken wire bunks are long gone, replaced by wooden boards.....

since they have redone all of the shelters, i think in that process some of the dividers got torn out, but i think there are a few shelters that still have em.....

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Not rude at all considering that you are required to have a permit to be in the shelter in the first place.
    AGREE!! If the new rules state you must have a permit, then simply state that you have one and ask that everyone make sure they have one. It is not rude for you to ask the rule breaker to leave or to sleep in their tent, they brought it on themselves. If you accept that they have taken all the space available and they are not supposed to be there, they are forcing the option on you to tent.

Images

non thru hikers with permits are not required to leave the shelter but if they show up and it is full a thru hiker must leave. last time I read it which was a year or more ago.

Images

pitch a tent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    pitch a tent.
    they would rather pitch a fit
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I don't get this thread at all. (but then again, I'm a hammocker).

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++