WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Just got an email for a heck of a deal on a really powerful unit from New Trent:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...210_em_1p_2_ti
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    I'm just curious as to why anyone would need anything besides a wall charger with them. I used my iPhone pretty intensively as a music player and ebook reader along the way, always made it into town with some juice left. Obviously I had it on airplane mode when I wasn't in town, so I guess needing extra power means you'll be receiving phone calls and texts while you're out? I consider myself pretty attached to technology but even I enjoyed being unreachable while I was actually out in the woods. Turning everything on and getting the surge of texts and missed calls once a week was plenty frequent for me. /endrant
    My company I phone works 2.5 days with low use, I suspect it has a larger battery - however - never use a Chinese knock off! Please just the cube that it comes with... I have seen multiple websites and test bench stuff that would make ya cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Just got an email for a heck of a deal on a really powerful unit from New Trent:

Hey almost anything with two - three charges between trail towns is fine. I don't have New Trent, I am sure its very good tech. I am working on UL solar solutions that work but that's for me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I used mine to listen to music and make calls/texts when possible. Keep your phone in 'Airplane mode' unless you absolutely NEED to make a call or text and it should be fine to wait until you get into a town to resupply and use electricity.

I've got a New Trent unit that I just picked up, $38 on amazon prime, that's 10,000 mAh. I'm a heavy iPhone user with work. After charging the New Trent to 100%, I started charging my iPhone solely from the unit.

The last time I plugged my iPhone into a wall was Friday. I've been using the NT since Saturday night, running my phone dead (~5%) every night and charging it to full with the NT. I'm now on my 5th day of operating the phone solely off battery backup, and the New Trent LED indicator is still blue (40-70% charge). I'd imagine using this and keeping the iPhone in airplane mode with minimal cell use would get me nearly two weeks between needing an electrical outlet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post

i bought the kids new trends for christmas. they work great.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

powergen makes a good unit too. I have one (forget the milliamps). It will charge my phone about 5 times. Its on-off button is on the side, and if you push it and there's nothing to charge, it waits somewhere around 20 minutes and shuts itself off. It has a little LED flashlight on the end, as well. I suspect that one little LED would go a LONG time on 12,000mah or so...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

In NJ charge right at the shelters .................................................. .................................................. ............................... NOT
    Attached Images Attached Images

The outlet complements the satellite dish :^)

I heard there's a jacuzzi only visible to those who've donated $500 or more to the ATC
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Images

No, there really is a sat. dish on the roof of Rutherford shelter
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Nomad Go. works like a charm. makes you popular with other hikers ;0
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'm going to try to keep this sort and sweet. On the A.T. I carried 4 spare batteries for my phone, never used more than 2 of them. Keep your phone off or on airplane mode when listening to music. Only turn it off airplane mode when you need to make a call or text.

Solar is useless on the A.T. There's zero debate, it's useless.

Airplane mode = the phone no longer uses power to communicate with cell towers, this saves a tremendous amount of electricity. Cell, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS are all shut off. In this mode you can go weeks in stand by. Especially with an iPhone.

These are the best 2 external batteries for mAH to weight ratios I have found:
    EasyACC = 5000mAH
    Real world mAH = 4000mah
    4.6oz
    http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc%C2%AE-...ywords=easyacc

New Trent 10000mAH
    Real world mAH = 8000mAH
    7.75oz
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Powe...s=new+trent+10

External battery packs run at ~80% efficiency due to power conversion, heat, etc...

If you have a phone with a replacable battery I'd highly recommend just buying an extra battery or two. You will get more energy per oz.

Popular phone battery capacity:
    iPhone 4s - 1430mAH
    iPhone 5 - 1440mAH
    iPhone 5s - 1560mAH

Samsung:
    S3 -2100mAH
    S4 - 2600mAH
    Note 2 - 3100mAH
    Note 3 - 3200mAH

Journal Entries
    Images

OK Shutter, I am not going to tear your post apart.... but you don't drive a Ford 1973 LTD or some Edsel, solar panels are just as different. We have gone some seven generations of quality and the new ones can charge with the panels backwards on a sunny day. The new ones can charge on a super cloudy day, but if its raining you can put them away. Now my answer is NEVER SAY NEVER, or perhaps useless.

I am fan of New Trent and Anker
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-21-2014 at 21:50.

Woo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++