WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hiking Advice for the AT in North Carolina?

Hey everyone,

My wife and myself are planning to do a week long hike on the Appalachian Trail during her spring break in March. We were thinking either hiking the Hot springs/ Max patch area or Clingman's Dome area for a 5 days/ 4 night hike. We were looking for advice on where to start and finish that would include either of those areas. We know march isn't the ideal time to be backpacking on the AT but thats the only time we have available to test out our new gear. Plus we need to practice camping in those weather conditions and elevations. In July we will be leaving on a Mission trip for 11 months called the World Race and will be living out of a backpack in places like South Africa, Nepal, and Mongolia.

Just a little background on the World Race in case anybody was curious. The World Race is a Missions trip to 11 different countries in 11 months. We will be leaving July 2014 and will be visiting Albania, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana, India, Nepal, Mongolia, and China. We will be living out of our backpacks for those 11 months and need the practice hiking, camping, packing light, and everything that comes with living out of a backpack.

So with all that said any advice on . Thanks again for everyones time.

GSMNP uses reservations for its shelters and you need to stay in them. Hot Springs to Max Patch is only a couple of days. Hot springs north would give you a week to Erwin. There is a good chance you'll run into snow.

I would do Hot Springs and the Max Patch area. I've done that area, it's a good section! Watch the weather forecast closely in March. Have a great time & good luck on your Missions Trip!

BTW... You have 2 threads going at the same time!

Unless the World Race is providing shelters, I'd avoid the GSMNP and do your shake down hike where you can practice living out of your tent.

Images

I am scheduled for March 23rd, NOBO from Newfound Gap to Erwin.

AGREE on the weather, the last few years there has been some tough snow conditions. Betting against based on crazy weather patterns. 80 degrees, suntan lotion needed.

I just did a 2 week section from Fontana to Erwin last year. My trip report is here: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/33. Max Patch to Hot Springs in not too many days. You may want to consider going from Hot Springs to Erwin.

++ New Posts ++